#1 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

i have some popcorn jars inoculating...
i don`t know how to fruit them,
can i dec it with coir and fruit them like the pf cakes?
any sugestion?

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Popcorn can be used for any combination of the following:

G2G transfer for building more spawn

Mix with any combo of straw and/or coir, and/or manure

Case the jars as is and fruit out of them (smaller yield but works great)

If you go to birth the jars the popcorn kernels will most likely fall apart. You should either mix it with some sort of manure/straw/coir/verm combo, or leave it in the jar and case.

My recommendation would be a modest G2G to continue the strain in case of unforseen events and then mix the popcorn with either straw /poo or coir/ poo 50 % / 50% and colonize that in a tub or bag / log.

This way you have more spawn for the future plus nice bulk sub mix that will yield very nicely. If you keep them in the jar and do straight popcorn the yield will be low.Low , but it will work and give you fruits.

Best of luck

H
  • shroom_seeker likes this

#3 saico

saico

Cut to the chase!

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

Mix with something like coco coir that you can buy at petsmart for around $5 a brick, but its enough to do 2 tubs. It expands quite a lot.

Pasteurize your coco coir, then mix it with your colonized popcorn. You can do this in a monotub 2 different ways. In garbage bags or some other dark plastic lining the bottom and lower sides of the clear plastic tub, or you can use a seedling tray to hold the substrate mixed with spawn inside the tub. The tray is more manageable in a way.

When you mix your spawn which is your colonized popcorn and your coco coir together this is called "spawning". At this point there will be enough water absorbed into the coco coir from soaking and pasteuring that even after you squeeze alot of that water out you shouldn't have to open the lid to spray till after you pick the first flush mushrooms. The monotub is a very simple thing to use and very effective as well. Big yields.

#4 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

i`ll mix coir and colonized popcorn in a tray!

thanks both of you!

#5 saico

saico

Cut to the chase!

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

Depending on the size of the tray, if it's going into a 60Qt+ tub and you use 25% spawn you should get around 3 ounces dry. Maybe even 4 ounces dry if the pop corn is still pretty freshly colonized when you make the tub.

Big yields. Check this out. Eatyu's How To
and this : Faht makes a bulk tub

#6 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

i have 2 jars (280ml each)
and those 2 trays(almost the same capicity)... if i put the 2 jars in one of the trays it will be at the half 50% and the other 50% should i put coir ?
and wich is the best way to sterilaze coir? how wet sould be?

#7 effgee

effgee

Mushpot

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Post a close up of your mycelia growth.
Also, I'm not sure about it, but I would probably crumble both of those in the same container.

Anyone else with more experience have something to say about that?

#8 fungusfarmer

fungusfarmer

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

I ran into the problem of my popcorn, I couldnt get it to fruit at all. So G2G is the best way I found. I spawn it to rye berries or WBS. Colonization times are pretty fast. I case with 50/50 coir verm.

#9 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

i`ll cruble 2 jars to 1 conteiner....
and spaw with 100% coir .is that ok??

#10 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

3rd day popcorn colonizing:amazed::amazed::amazed:

#11 saico

saico

Cut to the chase!

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:18 AM

In agreement with what fungusfarmer said you could spawn that popcorn to some wild bird seed in a ratio of 1 jar of popcorn to 4 jars of wild bird seed. Take a clean out of the box ziplock bag that is big enough to fit it all and dump them in it and mix them up well.

You should poke maybe 2 small holes near the top of the bag, and more if you find theres moisture pooling on the bottom, if theres no pooling water in the bag don't poke more holes. If its just fogged up its fine, the humidity will help it colonize. You don't want things too dry because the outer layer of bird seed can dry up and it can be stubborn and slow.

Nice pictures you took :rasta:. I think spawning both of those to 100% coco coir is a wise choice indeed. :thumbup:.
You can pasteurize the coir in a pot on the stove for best effect if you have any thermometers that can measure 160f-180f. Or you can check out this link for more answers.

#12 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

i really didn`t understand how to steril coir,
i have a microwave
how to hydrate,?
how to steril?

#13 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

What I have read about coir is that a lot of people just break some off and throw it in a container like a cooler. Then the dump boiling water in and let is sit until it cools. Then make sure it is only at field capacity. You only want about 2 drops coming out when you squeeze it in you hand. If you do a mix of coir/verm get the verm to field capacity too and mix together.

#14 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

you mean put coir in a box or something and put in boiled water let it cool and dry until when i squeeze only see some drops...

#15 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

just break of the coir amount that you think you will use. Put the coir in some sort of container like a cooler you take to the beach or a tupperware container or a big pot. Some people like coolers because some of them have a pour spout at the bottom where you let the water out after it cools. Then pour boiling water on. Let it sit in the hot water until it cools enough to be able to handle it. Then you can either put it in a strainer and let it drain or you can squeeze it really hard and try to get all of the excess water, the water that is beyond field capacity out. Once it is to the point that when you squeeze it only a slight trickle come out (a couple of drops) then it is ready to use. If your going to add verm (that is highly recommended) then get that to field capacity also and mix it with the coir. People usually use a 60/40 coir/verm or a 50/50. You can get away with just using coir though.

#16 klasamentes

klasamentes

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

thanks a lot
i`ll make soon a thread of this project tha i`m going to start;)

#17 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

Looking forward to seeing it. I should start taking pictures myself and get a thread going. Maybe I will today.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!