60 replies to this topic

#1 space_ghost

space_ghost

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

Hello everyone

I am planning on pasteurizing manure in 165F water for approximately 90 minutes. This will be bagged for short term and long term usage, pre-adjusted moisture content. Later it will be spawned in tubs with rye, birdseed, etc. I am not using the manure in bags, just looking for a way to pasteurize submerged, and heat seal them. The plan is to get some bags that can withstand the temps, and that can also be impulse sealed (keep out extra moisture during pasteurization, and for storage)

Questions:

Do I need a myco bag with a filter patch? I would think that any heat resistant bag that could be impulse sealed would work for this purpose-I don't need air exchange here. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I DO need a filter patch, how does one go by covering it up so the water submersion doesn't saturate it-tape?

Lastly, is bagging, sealing and pasteurizing poo in the method I described an ideal way to go? How long can I expect the poo to remain clean in impulse sealed bags after pasteurization?

Thanks!

#2 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

I could be wrong but I dont think long term storage of pasteurized substrate is possible..
Pasteurization only stunz the cooties for a week or two then they will reapear, thus meaning the sooner you use it the better so it can get colonized well befor the bad stuff starts growing.........

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

you'd proly need to sterilize fully for storage purposes
  • LSDarkstar likes this

#4 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

I would try to use pasteurized substrate as soon as possible ,like Cheffy says, the bad guys can repopulate over time...

#5 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:49 AM

This method sounds to me like it would be effective, but I can't find much precise, free information out there. I'm hoping to try this on an oyster straw log, and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Llama

#6 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

I do not use peroxide. I do the rodger rabbit tek. 0.5 cups of hydrated lime per 14 gallons of water heated to 140-160 F for 1.5 hours. Or you can heat to about 170 for 45 minutes to an hour.

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:51 AM

You can replace the h202 with bleach. I pasturize my straw in a 31 gallon roughneck filled about halfway with straw. Then I dust the entire top of the straw with hydrated lime and then a cup of bleach. Then I add the hottest water my house will pump out to the roughneck while heating up some more on the stove top to 170 degrees. Don't exceed it by much. Keep heating up some water on the stove until you can submerge the straw and swirl it around a bit. Then just let it pasturize for an hour or 2 until you can ring the straw out with your hands to get it to field capacity.

#8 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Ive never used H2O2 in the pasteurization process. A combination of lime, bleach, and heat, as mentioned above, it the best method IMHO.

#9 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:14 AM

my temps hit 185+ on the top, probably hoter on the bottom in my pillow case. is my batch screwed? its being pasteurized in 2 1/2 gallons water with 1tbsp. bleach and 1/2 tsp. pickling lime. thanks!

#10 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

should be fine...

#11 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:36 AM

It will be ok. Some of the more desirable microbes may have been killed but you should still have success. How long did the temps stay that high?

#12 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

It should still be okay, last time I past. my temps were at 170 and probably hotter on the bottom too. Its all colonizing and working fine. If you are too worried about it, use a lot of spawn to insure quick colonizing and beating the chance for contams. Lately I have also been setting aside 1/4 of the spawn or so and after I mix the spawn and manure I dump this last 1/4 on top of it all to insure quick colonizing of the top layer. Hope it all goes well, I can't wait to see the results!

#13 Guest_ograzebrook_*

Guest_ograzebrook_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:33 AM

interesting...i pasurise my straw/poo by boiling bags of said substrate in water for 10-15 minutes... is this killing lots of goodies??
(So far I have had a reasonable success with straw and poo...improving and developing all the time...)

#14 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

interesting...i pasurise my straw/poo by boiling bags of said substrate in water for 10-15 minutes... is this killing lots of goodies??
(So far I have had a reasonable success with straw and poo...improving and developing all the time...)

This has worked for you ograze? What kind of projects did you use said substrate for? Trays, boxes, logs? How long till contams?

#15 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

you can always superspawn to help it colonize faster if you are afraid contams may get a foothold where the good microbes used to be.

#16 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

You'll be fine. However, boiling for ten minutes is not pasteurization. It's partial sterilization. Definitely not the same thing.
RR

#17 Guest_ograzebrook_*

Guest_ograzebrook_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:47 AM

my tec is one which I have developed myself.. a kind of straw/dung log. I use the autoclave bags with filter patches; pack chopped straw/dung in to the bottom 3-4" of the bag so it is just under half full. Then spawn with as much popcorn as I can muster. As This is a new tec, I am experimenting with the bithing..Resuls were not good when crumbled down into a casing.. so I now birth as a mini straw log. The beuty of this tec is That I can do several at once so if I get a contam I wont loose the lot. Currently working with cambodia (any experience??) and pan tropicalis and burmese yangoon... all are colonising nicely in the airing cupbord.

ps. a great tip is to cut your straw real fine for a better colonisation...long straw can screw up your grow.

#18 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:41 PM

I am digging around for Mr Rabbit's method of boiling jars full of substrate for pasteurization. So far, no luck. Anybody know where that is?

#19 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

I've had trouble finding it too but if I remember correctly it goes: Bring substrate to field capacity and load jars. Put jars in pot and fill with water about 1/2-2/3 the way up the jars. Cover, bring to boil, and turn off immediately. Let it cool while covered. Remove and use.

#20 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:04 PM

I know it's in the Archives somewhere. You go to the main menu and select a topic and I think it pops up as a subtopic. I think you are real close to perfect on the technique. Are you sure it isn't supposed to boil a while?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!