Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Glass top stoves and pressure cookers? Any experience?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,002 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

So going a bit longer is not going to make anything WORSE, Only do more good to add 15 min's or so

Correct

#22 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:36 AM

2nd attempt 100%!....

will weigh once it cools down lol...

from judgement id say 30-40lbs.

went online to kitchaid. found out on the disclaimer and pdf that it has a whole section on canning. but didn't see any references to maximum weight on the glass. but everything worked out well. i think as long as your careful and you don't move it around while its cooking, everything should be fine. have all your knobs fastened and everything ready to go once you place it on the glass top.

the real danger of the glass top is this. if you have a cold glasstop and set something hot on it, the glass will crack. its extreme temps that break glass easily. if you gradually heat it up, its fine. but going from cold to hot will crack glass like ice so be careful. a foaf, learned the hardway in the past and preheated the pc to save time. placing cold jars full of grain in the pc. then the jars exploded and the pc had to be cleaned. so take notes, and don't do that lol...

#23 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

921 AA pressure cooker with 10 quarts wbs and 1" of water weighs between 38-40lbs.

the glass top has no problems with this weight.

#24 billj324

billj324

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

I have two 42-qt pc's that I have filled with 6 spawn bags. When I first started, I used a glass electric range. It held up just fine. Eventually, I got tired of the giant electric bill and lack of space and bought a 50,000 btu (double) cooker. I pay about $40/month for propane V.S. $200 for electric. Its also faster (would not recommend heating the PCs at high rates), and its way easier to lift a full PC 1 ft v.s. 4ft to the stove surface.

If you choose a propane cooker, remember that it releases large quantities of CO, to combat this, a flow hood and shroud was made and piped for PLENTY of ventilation (for indoor). Obviously, if you were doing this outdoors you wouldn't need all this - but how many times can you use the "cookin for an army" excuse without causing suspicion???

Edit: PCs are about 60+lbs when full - they borderline hurt my back.
Also, $40 is for probably double the loads than before when I was paying out $200 for electric. So in actuality, my costs were reduced by 90%.

Edited by billj324, 09 June 2009 - 02:56 PM.
needed corrections and additional info

#25 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:25 AM

I have two 42-qt pc's that I have filled with 6 spawn bags. When I first started, I used a glass electric range. It held up just fine. Eventually, I got tired of the giant electric bill and lack of space and bought a 50,000 btu (double) cooker. I pay about $40/month for propane V.S. $200 for electric. Its also faster (would not recommend heating the PCs at high rates), and its way easier to lift a full PC 1 ft v.s. 4ft to the stove surface.

If you choose a propane cooker, remember that it releases large quantities of CO, to combat this, a flow hood and shroud was made and piped for PLENTY of ventilation (for indoor). Obviously, if you were doing this outdoors you wouldn't need all this - but how many times can you use the "cookin for an army" excuse without causing suspicion???

Edit: PCs are about 60+lbs when full - they borderline hurt my back.
Also, $40 is for probably double the loads than before when I was paying out $200 for electric. So in actuality, my costs were reduced by 90%.

running the pc about 3 times a week on the electric stove doesn't really increase the electric bill much. its like cooking 3 times a week for an hour. but im not running the pc all day all week either. if your running your pc constantly on an electric stove. that might run up the bill a bit. but pressure cooking that much is not necessary. its overkill. you can get away with pressure cooking 10 quarts a week and have excellent yield on bulk subs.

using grain jars and spawning pasteurized substrates makes your pc times very minimal.

if you use bags however, your increasing your pc times dramatically thus increasing bills, pc times and work load.

grain spawn is the way to go on bulk subs. pasteurizing large amounts of substrates is also the way to go. pressure cooking large amounts of bulk sub is a waste of time in my opinion you become a slave to your pressure cooker. i can get away with 10 quarts a week. which is 1 pc run a week. unless i need to do more pf jars. then i might pc 2 times a week. all other pasteurization is done in the oven at 170 degrees for 2.5 hours. the .5 hour is to get the inner substrate temp up to 170 then pasteurize for 2 hours.

also ive been using the glass top for well over a year. and there are no issues as far as breaking the stove with a 40lb pc on it. my 22 quart pc is 40lbs with water and 10 quart grain jars. your 44 quarts id bet are much heavier. and im not sure id want to test that on my glass top.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!