• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

I hope all my fellow herb-lovers will partake in the annual protest against prohibition. There are groups gathering in almost every major city in North America, and many others overseas. The website lists the cities and contact info for all those who want to march. The event is world-wide on Saturday May 3rd!

2008 Global Marijuana March

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1208466199

Attached Thumbnails

• n576995245_723597_1180.jpg

#2 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the march two weeks earlier? More stoners are out then anyways...

#3 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hey, that would be a nice place to wear a Mycotopia t-shirt, if one were to have a Mycotopia t-shirt in their possession. ;)

#4 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Marijuana Policy Project Alert April 17, 2008
Today, a bill to eliminate all federal penalties for marijuana possession was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives.

"The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008," introduced by Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), would eliminate the threat of arrest and prison for the possession of up to 3.5 ounces of marijuana and/or the not-for-profit transfer of up to one ounce of marijuana. It would not affect federal laws prohibiting selling marijuana for profit, importing and exporting marijuana, or cultivating marijuana. It also would not affect any state or local laws and regulations.
Because almost all marijuana arrests are made by local and state police, the primary impact of this federal bill is twofold: First, it would offer protection to people who are apprehended with marijuana in federal buildings or on federal land (such as national parks); and, second, the bill sends a message to state governments that the federal government is now open to the notion of states reducing their marijuana penalties, too.
This historic legislation comes 36 years after the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse made a similar recommendation to President Richard Nixon, suggesting that he decriminalize small amounts of marijuana.
MPP has worked closely with Congressman Frank’s staff over the last year, helping to craft the legislation and build political support for the proposal on Capitol Hill.

#5 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have the march two weeks earlier? More stoners are out then anyways...

Oh we were out!!

#6 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

whoops....here we go!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0913.jpg
  • DSC_0899.jpg
  • DSC_0856.jpg
  • DSC_0870.jpg

#7 Crust

Crust

Void Lurker

• Expired Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

On the one hand I'm glad people are getting out and doing something. On the other hand I wonder what impact having a lot of very young, teen-age looking people attending these functions; dressing up goofy and smoking out, stoned out of their gourds...What affect will that have on the suits in power? My inclination is more harm than good. It's real hard to take someone seriously with a rainbow afro. To the suits, they say to them selves "THAT'S why I'll never vote to legalize, look at these people! I don't want my kids to turn out that way"...(Even though they probably already smoke weed and do lots of blow any ways)

NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THAT....just stating fact.

I'm all for legalization and think if the game was played in a format that politicians understood and doesn't scare them or confirm their notions then that magic day may happen much sooner. But if we keep portraying our selves as the fringe, then thats how we'll be treated. Sad but true.

#8 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

I wonder what impact having a lot of very young, teen-age looking people attending these functions; dressing up goofy and smoking out, stoned out of their gourds

Yep. That's exactly what I thought when I saw those pics. No chance in hell some Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act will ever pass as long as kids partying and playing Rebellious is the image most Americans have of pot smokers.

#9 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

On the one hand I'm glad people are getting out and doing something. On the other hand I wonder what impact having a lot of very young, teen-age looking people attending these functions; dressing up goofy and smoking out, stoned out of their gourds...What affect will that have on the suits in power? My inclination is more harm than good. It's real hard to take someone seriously with a rainbow afro. To the suits, they say to them selves "THAT'S why I'll never vote to legalize, look at these people!

The youth vote is highly contested, were not talkin about a majority of burnouts here..Burnouts don't vote and they don't spend money. Many people choose to get high and can still be a productive part's of society. More and more every generation IMO

#10 Toecutter

Toecutter

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

Sadly, society has placed a road block on the notion of
smoking grass and the like. If some of my friends knew
i was relaxing with a little tea or grass, they would shit
their pants and scowl. then they would proceed to drink
themselves into oblivion and drive home.
and in their mind, that's ok.
that's what were up against.

#11 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

On the one hand I'm glad people are getting out and doing something. On the other hand I wonder what impact having a lot of very young, teen-age looking people attending these functions; dressing up goofy and smoking out, stoned out of their gourds...What affect will that have on the suits in power? My inclination is more harm than good. It's real hard to take someone seriously with a rainbow afro. To the suits, they say to them selves "THAT'S why I'll never vote to legalize, look at these people! I don't want my kids to turn out that way"...(Even though they probably already smoke weed and do lots of blow any ways)

NOT THAT I AGREE WITH THAT....just stating fact.

I'm all for legalization and think if the game was played in a format that politicians understood and doesn't scare them or confirm their notions then that magic day may happen much sooner. But if we keep portraying our selves as the fringe, then thats how we'll be treated. Sad but true.

Yep. That's exactly what I thought when I saw those pics. No chance in hell some Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act will ever pass as long as kids partying and playing Rebellious is the image most Americans have of pot smokers.

I agree, this type of protest does not work in the USA. Thank god it was taking place in Canada, where just because a group are "dressing in funny clothes" or fit some stereotype, their voices are still heard. I can vouch for the success of these rallies, the media attention has swayed the majority of senate here to favor legalization.

Your logic is the same that people use to bash gay-pride parades.
"Gay rights are good... but don't walk march down the street in a rainbow g-string" That to me is intolerance.

If all you see is burnouts and cokeheads in those pics. We dont want your support. So press your ties, iron your suit, and keep smoking herb scared that one day you'll be outted as a dirty drug user.

We're here, we're high, get use to it.

#12 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

If all you see is burnouts and cokeheads in those pics. We dont want your support...

I don't see burnouts and cokeheads, I see children. It just doesn't make an effective argument for adult legalization to have teenagers at a public smokeout. Adults over a certain age see a bunch of teenagers acting like teenagers and they understand that in a few years, the pot-smoking phase will have run its course. A lot of those protesters will have graduated from college, settled down with a nice paying, stable job, have a few kids and a pretty wife or husband, and many of them won't be smoking pot anymore (at least not publicly). It just happens...

#13 Crust

Crust

Void Lurker

• Expired Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

If all you see is burnouts and cokeheads in those pics. We dont want your support. So press your ties, iron your suit, and keep smoking herb scared that one day you'll be outted as a dirty drug user.

"We don't want your support":lol:

With out "our" support, this movement would accomplish nothing.

Any and ALL of the progress made so far is NOT because of the kiddie-crowd.

So would you like it if in response we say, get off our coat-tails and stop riding the tide of our success?

Guess saying it with sugar and spice didn't quite get through to you...So, time to be blunt (no pun intended).

This is where you fail miserably and do WAY more harm to the cause than good.

It's this "Fuck You" attitude that in the end fucks your self and every one else. It's this attitude of disrespect for people in power thats fucking your self and every one else (smoking weed in the open, flaunting and taunting). It's this circus freak-show atmosphere, village idiots trying miserably to be taken seriously then get all pissed when nothing comes of it. Or if there is slight progress all pat them selves on the back for a job well done.

The kiddie-crowd falls into two categories...

1. Irrelevant

2. Damaging

As far as media attention goes, it can happen three ways.

1. They interview some kid, dressed like a bong totally wasted and make him look like a blithering idiot.

2. They interview a fairly savvy kid that has some pretty good facts...But is dressed in a gorilla suit and no one hears a word he's saying because they are too busy laughing at him to remotely consider taking him seriously.

3. They interview a mature, well educated presentable adult that is able to skillfully articulate the talking points.

Which do you think would have the most positive impact to the people in a position to enact change? Or to the general population sitting on the fence undecided??? I can guarantee you that any success happening isn't because of the kiddie-crowd. And thats what makes it so laughable when they try to take credit and *think* they are helping.

Thats analogous to if there was a movement to reduce the drinking age for the health benefits of drinking red wine...By marching on the capital with a bunch of 12-17 year olds with beer-bongs, 40s and brown paper bags. Oh yeah, that would be just fucken brilliant.

If the kiddie-crowd were to disappear, progress would still continue...probably a little quicker.

If the mature crowd were to disappear...progress would grind to a halt...and probably reverse should the kiddie-crowd take control of the movement.

As far as intolerance goes, get used to it buddy. Thats life...society is intolerant of a lot of things. What about the majority of adults that don't understand pot and fear harm coming of it should their kids get into it...do you tolerate that? Obviously not by the actions that you advocate with these party-rallies.

You get what you give, and if disrespect is what you display to the opposition, don't be surprised when you get the same treatment.

And here's a news flash, I'm intolerant of a lot of things, just like every one else. No one is going to ever change me of my opinions or belief system. And if they try to force it on me? Get ready for equal or even greater resistance. I tolerate what I dam well choose, not what I'm told to. That fact applies to every one, basic psychology 101.

And lets not play the "This country is better than that country" game...I can hit up any number of dispensaries in a 10 mile radius and pick up the dankest smoke you can imagine...and hash...and cuttings...and seeds...and edibles and what ever the fuck I want, when ever I want day or night. Shit I got a billboard a few blocks from my job with the number 1-800-Got-Kush over a pot leaf and bench ads for hydro shops every where. Yeah, we suck and I'm so scared...Puhleezuh!

And the best part is I don't have to rely on mommy or daddy for money to get a few little buds of brick-weed and then have to hide somewhere to smoke it out of a tin foil pipe or toilet paper roll. And it's these very same people that think they have pull when it comes to politics.:eusa_snoo

Don't forget, once it's decriminalized it will still be heavily regulated...Probably way more than alcohol. So just because it becomes legal, it doesn't mean that it can be used by kids under 21 or abused in any way like driving while stoned or smoked in public. Legalization isn't a Utopia as so many of the youth think its going to be. Many people will still be arrested every day.

It's funny that the youth press so hard for something....that in the end....excludes them any ways.

I appreciate the passion, but its just energy misdirected...If they apply that same enthusiasm to something thats going to benefit them selves directly like school or college. They'll be much better off for it...and the fight will either be won or there for them to participate in when they are ready and able to reap the rewards.

Until then, do us a favor...Don't do us any favors.

#14 DarkLestor

DarkLestor

Wanderer

• Expired Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

nice. the march this year in my city is only a few blocks from where i live:D.

#15 chrisandstepheny

chrisandstepheny

fungtastic duo

• Expired Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

How old do you think I am? You can't judge a book by it's cover. Secondly, protests are very ineffective if they are boring and don't get attention. Also, if there are teenagers protesting it's their right and if they conduct themselves responsibly over wise they aren't hurting anything. Furthermore if there are immature teenagers around it is the duty of the adults and parents to educate them on they're responsibility. You can't know that they would fuck up an interview without seeing them interviewed.

Attached Thumbnails

• 29619-R1-17-23A_018.jpg

#16 weepwoop

weepwoop

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Ill be there, just found my city and contacted the person to find out all of the details.
Alwyas around,
Alex

#17 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

First off Crust, all I was saying is that crowd does not merely consist of a bunch of stereotypical canna-teenie boppers. The rally was organized in conjunction with the Toronto Compassion Club and the CSA Canadians for Safe Access, along with MANY other cannabis related medical and non-medical activist groups.

And in terms of bashing nations, I'm not. However, during that "420 smoke out" rally I posted pics of, there was not ONE arrest. Not one stupid stereotypical pothead in a Bob Marley shirt and a "rainbow afro" stepped over a boundary worthy of arrest. I think that is something to be said.

Say what you will. If you think we outta bend over and take it, while asking nicely for a reach-around, please. I know many people in their 50's that attended that rally. All you see is a bunch of teenaged punks. You obviously have a fucked up image of the youth. To you they are too "disobedient and rebellious" to have any remote value in society. I'm sure a great majority of this community can back me up in saying that no matter what age or appearance, we do have a voice.

Maybe old age has caught up with you and has turned you into grumpy intolerant sellout, who knows maybe your a woman going through menopause. Either way, get off your high-horse, age dont mean shit.

Posted Image

#18 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

I love the discussion going on here...and I do agree that we should be careful about the image we project. At the same time, I think the only thing that can bring down the wall is 10,000 fists...or something...er.. yeah.

#19 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

Everyone ready??? Two more days...:weedpoke:

Posted Image

#20 madsick

madsick

best lover ever

• Expired Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

The person hosting it in pensacola isnt responding to emails and doesnt have a link to anything on the site:( Anyone know whats going on there?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!