Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Recurring Gill Defect- mycogone wet bubble.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 groovy-uv

groovy-uv

humbled

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

I have seen a recurring defect over the course of two separate casings and several flushes each. I cannot tell if this is a contamination or not; I have been unable to find anything that resembles these symptoms online.

The strain is Ecuador, cloned via 9er Tek after an initial run from MS. Substrate is WBS and verm (mixed in after jar colonization), and casing layer is pH balanced potting soil.

The only symptom is the one seen in the photos, namely, that the gills become inundated with a light colored fuzz. The fuzz looks alot like the fuzzy myc that often appears at the base of the stems, but there is no apparent 'trail' leading from the base up to the cap.

I thought at first that it must just be myc because the mushrooms exhibit no decrease in overall health, and because once dried, the fuzz looks exactly the same--just like dried fuzzy myc. The only undesirable side effect (besides the unusual appearance) is that the fuzz prevents the spores from leaving the cap. There is still sporulation, evidenced by clumps of spores which are visible if the fuzz is scraped back.

The defect sets in only after the cap has opened, sometimes immediately and sometimes after several days of sporulation. Additionally, once one cap becomes afflicted the problem quickly spreads throughout the pan and eventually the whole FC. For this reason I suspect it might be some kind of contamination, but as to what kind I have no guess.

I am also open to the possibility of some kind of mutation being the cuplrit, despite the non-mutationlike behavior (i.e. the apparently contagious nature) because all of these projects were cloned from the same initial stock or a second generation of that stock. I have no other projects going which could serve as a control to this effect.

Any ideas as to what I've got? And beside the inability to spore print, is there reason for worrying about it?

Thanks much.

Note: The third picture compares an affected mushroom to a normal one.

Attached Thumbnails

• defect 3.jpg
  • defect 2.jpg
  • defect 1.jpg

#2 Aoken

Aoken

Major

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

the second pic looks more like cobweb than myc. some kind of bacteria? weird.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

i'm guessing a mold
but the exact type unsure.
weird.
let's see if we can get it some attention..

#4 philyb

philyb

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

According to Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life Hierarchy, Edition 1 (2007)
Name Mycogone
Classification
* Kingdom: Fungi
* Phylum: Ascomycota
* Class: Ascomycetes
* Order: Hypocreales
* Family: Hypocreaceae
* Genus: Mycogone
Wet bubble / white mould
Dense white growth on gills.
I've had this before and had to trash inorder to get rid of it. Simply cause I'm to lazy to get some formalin!!
Ref;
Mycogone
Authors: Sharma, V. P., Chirag Singh
Affiliation: Mushroom Research Laboratory, Dr. Y. S. Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Chambaghat, Solan - 173 212 H.P., India.
Document Title: Journal of Mycology and Plant Pathology, 2003 (Vol. 33) (No. 2) 257-264
Abstract:
A very high incidence of wet bubble disease (Mycogone perniciosa) was recorded during 1998-2000 in different mushroom units of Himachal Pradesh and Haryana, India. Artificial inoculation at casing application stage produced the highest (78.75%) yield reduction with 0.5% inoculum load. The average time for symptom production was 12 days. All the strains of Agaricus bisporus (S11, S16 and HU3) and A. bitorquis (K32) included in the study were susceptible. M. perniciosa remained viable for one year or more under natural dry conditions. Water splash was observed to transmit the disease up to 50 cm effectively, however, the greatest amount of spore dispersal occurred in excess run-off water from infected bags. Physical contact and mushroom flies especially phorids could also transmit the disease to some extent. The thermal death point for mycelium, conidia and chlamydospore of M. perniciosa was between 40 and 42, 42-44 and 46-48°C, respectively. Prochloraz manganese proved to be the best fungicide in controlling wet bubble disease, however, formalin [formaldehyde] (2%), chlorothalonil and dithiocarbamates (dithane M-45 and dithane Z-78) also gave good disease control.
Publisher: Indian Society of Mycology and Plant Pathology
And for shits and giggles some more reference to research aside from this!
Index Fungorum - Names Record
Mushroom production - 1. General production methods
Data Use Agreement - GBIF Portal

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

:cool:

#6 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

:thumbup:

Thanks Hip! And thanks to Phil for posting the wet bubble info. I've never seen it on gills like this, only when it oozes the amber color.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

i fixed it.

#8 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

are fruits considered edible with this?

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

do you routinely eat moldy fruit ?
  • Prismatichawk likes this

#10 groovy-uv

groovy-uv

humbled

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the help... it is much appreciated. I've never seen this anywhere before so I'm glad it has been figured out.

I guessed that the soil might have had something to do with it, even though I microwaved it in water til it boiled for like 8-10 minutes just before casing. So much for that.

I have eaten these after drying them and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I was cautious at first, but now I've had several good size doses (~3 grams) with no ill effects.

#11 apear

apear

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:46 AM

I hate wet bubble .

#12 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:19 AM

nice post! i've never dealt with it, but have heard of it.

>>>>archive material<<<<

#13 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Wow that was ugly, I've seen that type of mold on my petri dishes from time to time.

#14 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thats pretty cool. Nasty, but cool. New the name, but no experience with it. Thankfully. Thanks for sharing this!

#15 philyb

philyb

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

It's awesome to see that a sedulous observation makes a difference in the world! Normally I'm just considered nuts!! ^_^

#16 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

I have eaten these after drying them and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I was cautious at first, but now I've had several good size doses (~3 grams) with no ill effects.

brave soul :)

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

liver disease can take years...

#18 duaut

duaut

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 699 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

Kidney's shut down after a week on some poisons.
Trash that grow before you hurt yourself or someone SWIY cares for...it's not worth the pain in the long run and mushies are sooo easy to grow.

#19 groovy-uv

groovy-uv

humbled

• Free Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

yea i tend to agree now that i know what it is. when i ate them originally, it was the first case or so and it wasn't nearly as bad. that was when i still thought it was just some confused myc.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!