How to get around high gas prices:

[Direct Link]

#322 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

I am currently researching land patent law, which, in short, insists that no patented piece of land can be used as collateral against a debt. That seems to include "land rent" debt. In other words, patents trump deeds and titles, which has interesting implications for "property tax"....

not exactly correct-

The patent does not constitute title
but is mere evidence of right to title

so a land patent is only proof that the land can
be legally titled, as it is claimed by the government
as part of its' territory.

it doe not 'trump' a title as you claim.

you in essence claim that no one can legally
use their home/land as collateral for a loan
but that is exactly what a mortgage is.

your 'understanding' of the law flies in the face
of how it really works,
better hit the books again.
land patent

#323 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

Since this thread was titled "What's the solution for gas prices" I thought I'd start this here, although the subject has been broached elsewhere...

I just finished my first class on supplemental hydrogen as a means of increasing fuel economy. Frankly, I wondered if I would learn anything, as I have been in R&D on this for quite a while.

Here it is in a nutshell, friends- you CAN EASILY build a device to increase your fuel economy- perhaps very significantly- for not a lot of bucks. A kid could do it....how deep you want to get depends on you.

I won't, in this post, get into WHY or HOW, just say that it WORKS, and YOU can do it- NOW.

If you like, and hip is OK with it, I'll start another thread? with details and updates.

Catdaddy

Screwin' around in his shop for a greener future,,,blah, blah, blah.

#324 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

Wow, crude is up nearly $25 a barrel today alone. Get ready for the 140's once again, or maybe 150's with this weakening dollar and lousy interest rates.

#325 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

i have found my personal solution-
golden1.jpg

#326 helloinsomnia

helloinsomnia

goodbye blue monday

• Expired Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

I have not read through this thread yet - so I apologize if this has been mentioned but how about compressed air?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_car

I remember watching a film on a prototype French car that runs off compressed air and actually cleans the air as it drives.

#327 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

i have found my personal solution-

Same here. Somebody else's gas. :lol:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1222110876

Attached Thumbnails

• Hitchhiker's_gesture.jpg

#328 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:32 AM

We need.
1. PLUG IN CARS?TRUCKS/SEMIS that go @ least 50miles per overnight(4-8hr) Charge using no more than 4-8 KWH.
2. Cheap Nuclear power using large and small plants to provide the power for Industry growth and said Cars.
3. A culture of Conservation to not be so Damn wastefull and make recycling the norm.

#329 jmtx

jmtx

horticulturist

• Expired Member
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:47 AM

theres gonna be a car soon called the chevy volt in 2010,
Chevy Volt is designed to move more than 75 percent of America's daily commuters without a single drop of gas.(1) That means for someone who drives less than 40 miles a day, Chevy Volt will use zero gasoline and produce zero emissions.(2)
Unlike traditional electric cars, Chevy Volt has a revolutionary propulsion system that takes you beyond the power of the battery. It will use a lithium-ion battery with a variety of range-extending onboard power sources, including gas and, in some vehicles, E85 ethanol(3) to recharge the battery while you drive beyond the 40-mile battery range. And when it comes to being plugged in, Chevy Volt will be designed to use a common household plug. The Volt will qualify for $7,500 tax credit, and when u use up the battery it has a very small 4 cylinder engine, that can go 300+ miles

you can get options like a solar panel roof

sorry if someone already metioned this!

#330 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Seems nothing is killing our economy more than the price of gas. People are hesitant to go any where that is not really necessary, or at least thinking twice about it. This in turn leads to lower revenue for establishments which in turn need to raise prices to accommodate for the loss of attendance. It also translates to food and retail goods...Costs more to transport, alot more and those costs are being passed on to the consumers.

Whats the solution? I know we all have the long-term solutions, but its the short term thats the problem. Alternative energy is an answer that is many many years off for the mainstream. In the mean time, the damage continues making that goal get further and further away.

Do you think regulation of an out of control oil industry might be in order? I mean, I'm not for big government but at times like this we sort of need the authority of the feds to step in. I understand that the cost of crude has gone up, but a 100% increase in the cost of crude should not translate into a 300-400% increase in the cost of gas.

I've heard suggestions of picking one of the major oil companies and just simply banning together and not buying gas from them until their prices fall drastically...Then pick a new company to boycott until they follow suit. Problem is we are not so cohesive of a nation and it would be next to impossible to pull this off. Maybe if there was a heavy media blitz with a great degree of organization this could happen...But until it starts to hurt the upper class this probably wont happen.

What do you think is going to happen? What do you think would help this crisis?

Well Crust, you've got your answer. A collapsing economy will lower gas prices.

#331 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'm finally close to getting a nationally recognized certification in photovoltaic system installations (I still have to design and supervise the install on a few plus take a big test put out by NABCEP first).

With fed. and state incentives and rebates, in some places you're out-of-pocket cost for a $100,000 grid-tied net-metering system (which would be huge for a residence, about 9-10kW!) is ~$20,000 with an 8-year payback. More modest (and typical) residential installs may only be $5000 out-of-pocket for the homeowner but it's a $25,000 system which can be roughly 3kW. Other incentives exist for commercial installs and there is a ton of money available for rural development grants and loan guarantee programs involving solar through the USDA, and the industry in general is growing 50% a year right now so y'all might want to take a look at it if your current industry is not doing so great.

Now if solar could be subsidized at the level of oil, gas, coal, and nuclear in this country then we'd really have a booming industry... maybe even be installing as many solar panels as Germany, which is 48% of the world photovoltaic market right now even though the country is a fraction of the size of the US.

As I write this I'm on the road taking a seminar about some new solar technologies that are already available or coming out soon such as spray-on photovoltaic nanofilm (this one is gonna be huge), solar roof shingles, amorphous-film laminates, etc etc) I'll probably start a thread about the state-of-the-art in solar tech when I return.

As far as civilization is concerned, when it comes right down to it energy is the only game in town since all the other games stop without it, and the stuff being developed right now is game-changing which is the kind of good news we need right about yesterday.

#332 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

The price of gasoline has now amazingly dropped to $1.87/gallon in the town next to mine. I sure wish I could purchase a large warehouse and stock it full of gasoline for next summer's eventual rise in gas prices again.

Is this the time to start investing in oil futures?

#333 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

If you do buy huge quantities of gasoline, I think you have to add a preservative to keep it 'fresh'. Diesel stores well though.

#334 V1ruk

V1ruk

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

Nuclear waste from civilian use would be stored in Yucca Mountain.

http://en.wikipedia..../Yucca_Mountain

Putting it deep into Gaia? YEP! That's where we got it, don't be an idiot, it won't hurt dirt, plus there's way more radioactive material down there.
100 000 years, sounds like a long time to you, however to a rod sitting a mile underground it's no sweat, don't worry, it won't get up and run away from boredom.

Hippie3 is also right, that all these dangers already exist.
Also you probably don't know there's about 100 false alarms anually for MAD still today, so you really shouldn't fear civilian use of nuclear power, you should fear military use.

Gas prices will be solved by a few things.
Moving onto a different source of fuel.
Getting an effective government that doesn't debate every issue cyclically and for all time, which means destruction of lobbyists, and outside influence of government to allow it to control corporations, and prevent a businesses interests from conflicting with the countries.
Relieving private control of energy resources. (energy is an essential right)
And Improvements in technology, efficiency, new fuels, etc.

#335 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Welcome to Mycotopia!

Beware of disturbing dead posts, the zombies tend to point out who the noobs are. Even if you made some good points, lol.

#336 V1ruk

V1ruk

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

Funny, found this under new posts last night...
Will watch for that in the future though, and thanks for the welcome.

#337 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with bumping old threads, particularly if you have something to add. Old threads aren't just kept around to gather dust. I like seeing old threads reemerge - provides an opportunity for members to read and learn from what they may not have seen, stimulates conversation and helps keep things a little less linear. :)

#338 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

Me too shroom seeker :thumbup:

Chevy rolled out production today on the Volt, making 10,000 this first year of production with the first ones going to the east and west coasts. I wonder if after 3-5 years we'll see an advantage or a disadvantage to electric cars.

I've seen them (prototypes) on my way to and from work, driven from the testing facility. Not too bad of a looking car, for something you plug in.

#339 V1ruk

V1ruk

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

I see electric cars just raising demand on electricity, and then you get higher prices on that to.
Hydrogen is my bet for a fuel system, current systems are very similar to gas operated vehicles in range, and how you fill them at the gas station.
It is also cheap, and plentiful, and they found out you can do things like have windmills that just generate hydrogen in the middle of nowhere for when you need it as a passing motorist.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!