#41 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

http://autos.yahoo.c...XZpbmctZnVlbA--

A link to some fuel saving tips. ^^^^^^

I've taken to fueling my car when I have only used 1/4 of a tank. This way I'm getting better mileage and spending only $30 a fill up - for 7 gallons :(

I think I'll have to take a loan out for the summer just to pay for gas :puke:

#42 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

Great tips in that link freaky.

The only one I would disagree with is the last one.
IME, I get better mileage running 89 rather than 87.
The miles per gallon increase exceeds the ten cent difference to the point Im actually saving money. But when going from 89 to 93 I only get a couple more miles per tank and it doesnt compensate for the other ten cent increase. So in my truck, the optimal decision is 89 octane.

I would also add that WHERE you buy your fuel is far more important than octane. Alcohol, additives, and other procedures MUST play a roll in gas mileage.

#43 Crust

Crust

Void Lurker

• Expired Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Last night my wife and I we're watching a show on alternative fuel/Hybrid cars that are coming on line shortly...My light bulb went off...Thats the problem. (not the light bulb, although some times...never mind)

First, if 90% of the population were to all of a sudden get rid of their old cars and move to hybrids/alt fuel...Imagine the mountains of cars headed to the dump or scrap yards. The amount is mind boggling and creating a whole new environmental problem in and of it's self.

Second, who can afford a $30K car? A lot of these alt/hybs are costing a lot of money. Not to mention that in the case of hybs...from what I understand...one of the most expensive parts of the car is the battery pack...and they only have a certain lifespan meaning they need to be replaced every 10 years or so? So instead of $1200 for a new tranny...You're talking about what, $6-7K for a new battery pack...(plus installation and hazardous waste disposal fees etc...) Man, talk about putting the money you saved in gas right back into some one else's pocket!

I think the focus should shift...I think the real solution is retrofitting cars already on the road. First, shed several hundred pounds of weight by replacing panels with carbon fiber. Then, replace the engine with something more efficient be it alt fuel or a hybrid or just a smaller motor...Or mod engines to drop cylinders when at speed, go from a 6 to a 2 cylinder depending on conditions. I think people would be more apt to dump 4-5K to retro their car if the saving are real and substantial and the time to recoup their investment can be demonstrated on paper. Sure in the hell beats $30K, plus if the Feds would kick in some tax incentives then things would happen that much faster.

#44 Envee

Envee

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

I don't think I have posted in this thread yet- but I have been lurking:reb:. Anyways, a little off topic has anyone seen the documentary "Who Killed the electric car?" It is about the EV-1. It was pretty interesting. If this was mentioned earlier in the thread sorry folks ><

#45 Toecutter

Toecutter

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:24 AM

but nothing holds pure hydrogen compressed/liquified,
it's hard on materials used to pump it,
and it's explosive.

explosive? dont think so. the hindenburg burned, not
exploded. like most flammables, it only becomes volatile
when combined with pure oxygen. not air, pure oxygen.

cant contain it? guess we better tell nasa to stop
using it to push their shuttles around since they
cant contain hydrogen.:lol:

any harsh chemical/element is hard on materials.
doesn't stop people from extracting mescaline or
walking in the sun.

unlike oil, the hydrogen supply is limitless and can be
recycled indefinitely. im sure there is some better
alternative to oil than hydrogen. we just havent found
it yet or it has been found and covered up.

making a nuclear powered car is just as silly as making
an internal combustion engine powered car.

</IMG>

#46 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

you're mangling the facts and dangling on technicalities.

the hindenburg 'burned' in regular air, not pure oxygen.

who wants a car that costs as much as the space shuttle ?
what NASA does, with its' billion dollar rockets, has no bearing
on cars for the masses.
we can't very well clear out a mile around a car before we start it
like nasa does the shuttle.:lol:

mescaline or sunlight have no relevance at all to this topic.

calling internal combustion engines
'silly'
merely shows the limits of your vocabulary
and your inability to articulate a real argument.

#47 Toecutter

Toecutter

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

damn guy, everything is an argument with you.

the hindenburg 'burned' in regular air, not pure oxygen.

thats what i said. you only repeated it.

ud already made a hydrogen powered bus.

the word 'silly'? so now my vocabulary is being
criticized?:lol:

it was used because it fit my opinion precisely.
dont hold me liable for your inability to fully
understand each word in the english language.
if it bothers you that much, i will try to avoid
using it again.
</IMG>

#48 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

i'll make that easy for you.
hydrogen fuel cells aren't the same as rocket engines.
and quibble all you want about flammable versus volatile versus explosive-
bottom line
if that hydrogen gets out and hits a spark
the difference will be a moot minor point.
:lol:

#49 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

humor interlude

Attached Thumbnails

• gasoline-humor-10.jpg

#50 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Poo. Manure. DooDoo.

When you put shit in a sealed container, stick a hose in the top, and let 'er rip, out comes methane. Which is natural gas.

Farms in India have been dong this for decades, using the gas to power tractors and cook their food. I've read reports here and there about folks doing this on various scales all over the world.

Plenty of raw material. Factory farms produce kilotons. Big cities, well, you get the picture.

It's low tech, cheap, and easy. Anaerobic bacteria do the work. Very little energy input, lots out.

#51 mikeg

mikeg

home scientist

• Expired Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

methane is the most polluting greenhouse gas pound for pound. more oil is not going to fix our problems with prices. also hydrogen is not a fix for our problem as well. you obtain hydrogen from coal and coal is obtained from stip mining or moutain top mining, which would mean tearing the top of the moutain off to get inside to the coal. fossil fuels may met our demands for a short period of time but as we can see now from gas, that won't last and we are killing our planet. i know this may sound a little off topic but it is on topic in a sense. america emits 24% percent of greenhouse gases and we are only 5% of the population. i mean america needs to get on track here, we can land a man on the freaking moon but we can't come up with an alternate self sustaining source of fuel?!? i saw a show on tv a couple days ago about greenland or iceland but anyway every home uses geothermal energy and everyone has hydrogen powered cars with hydrogen filling stations

#52 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

Posted Image

#53 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

Here are 2 graphs. The first is oil prices in todays Dollars. It looks like it was at an all time low in 2000 right around the time Bush took office. The second chart is our national debt, you can clearly see the results.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• National-Debt-GDP.gif
  • zFacts-Gasoline-Price.png

#54 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

the democrat-controlled congress is where the budget originated the last couple years.
bush cannot appropriate money
but pelosi and reed sure can.

#55 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Methane is an extraordinarily clean-burning fuel, can be produced at VERY low cost, and is incredibly plentiful.

Yes, it's a potent greenhouse gas. It's certainly better to capture this effluent of rotting turds and use it to replace fossil fuels than to let it escape into the atmosphere.

Ever see capped-off landfills, with those pipes sticking out? Guess what's venting into the atmosphere. Yep. Methane. Double whammy. Wasted fuel and added greenhouse gas.

Try googling "methane fuel" or "natural gas fuel." Interesting stuff.

Now, if we can figure out a way to capture cow farts....

#56 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

i wouldn't want the job...

#57 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

:lol:

#58 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

jobsucks.jpg

#59 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

Poo. Manure. DooDoo.

When you put shit in a sealed container, stick a hose in the top, and let 'er rip, out comes methane. Which is natural gas.

Farms in India have been dong this for decades, using the gas to power tractors and cook their food. I've read reports here and there about folks doing this on various scales all over the world.

Plenty of raw material. Factory farms produce kilotons. Big cities, well, you get the picture.

It's low tech, cheap, and easy. Anaerobic bacteria do the work. Very little energy input, lots out.

What pisses me off is that where I live in Michigan we have many landfills that produce more narural gas than we know what to do with and we are still paying over $1.00 a CCF. $200 - $300 a month gas bills. sucks ass bigtime, for as much as the landfills produce we should be able to afford to heat our homes during the winter for almost nothing but they still use petrolium to make the methane. Fuckers!:bs:

#60 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the laughs guys! LMAO

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!