• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:07 AM

:cool:

#24 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Stay tuned kids.
I found an even cheaper way to do this with one sensor and an old computer that still has a serial port.

I did not design it or write the visual basic program so don't give me the credit for it. I just found it on the web.

It uses the same sht humidity sensor
But just uses a max232 (or similar) to interface the sensor to the computer and the software handles all the control parameters for the sensor.

It uses far more processor cycles on the cpu but is cheaper and much smaller to make.

I have drawn a schematic and single sided board layout.
As soon as I get my jikity usb port to cooperate I'll put em in my phone to upload here.

#25 Guest_Mule_*

Guest_Mule_*

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Cool stuff.
For those that it might be out of their reach. I wonder if this could work:

http://usb.brando.co...p?prod_id=00455

With a little tweaking of the software perhaps it could be used to drive a simple relay system to turn on and off environment controls. via serial port.

cheap enough regardless. :kewl:

#26 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Cool stuff.
For those that it might be out of their reach. I wonder if this could work:
http://usb.brando.co...p?prod_id=00455
:

Cool find. That is the price of the sht sensor itself.

Usb is very limited in distance but powered hubs are cheap.

With a little tweaking of the software perhaps it could be used to drive a simple relay system to turn on and off environment controls. via serial port.
cheap enough regardless. :kewl:

Serial control out can be done with shift registers,

I have some designs that could be used from when I was toying with the idea of using a game boy advance as a controller

i was stopped by my inability to write in tin language to add serial port handlers to dragon basic.

I could prolly decipher the odd banked poke codes better I guess.

I was able to get 4 digital control lines out but could not read sensors in that communication mode on its serial port and I am to lazy to re write the program I did just to make it a multi timer.

Plus I was just using the screen refresh rate to clock it.

It was acurate enough but had to be reset every time you turned it off.

Maby if I get an old pokemon or other game catridge with a clock chip in it (and learn to use it) I will go back to that project. The ram would help for loging data too. .
It was a elegant solution. Too bad I can't really program.

but it is even simpler to use the printer port that can be done easily & cheaply.

There is software out there and dll s that could make tweaking or redesigning their software easier.

I think I have those schematics near drawn and could do a board layout in an hour or so if any programers out there are up for the challenge. ;)

#27 logicpill

logicpill

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

I'm going to place an order for a boarduino so maybe I can help out. I was actually planning out a project just like this, even using the 1-wire and arduino.

If you need 1-wire parts, a lot of them can be had for free at the maxim or dallas website by ordering free samples. They do take a while to come in the mail though.

I was actually planning on using the 1-wire sensor network and making a 2D grid with controllers to turn parts of the network on and off. Is this how you can up with the max number of sensors?

I was looking at doing control directly on the chip though, so you wouldn't need to leave a PC connected at all times. This would be pretty easy by setting the parameters in software instead of hitting alarms back at the PC end.

For communication, I'm doing zigbee with the add-on board from one arduino to another. The second will be connected to my network with ethernet or directly to my computer. The output could be abstracted some, so it won't matter where the data goes and it will all be coded the same.

Let me get started looking at the code you have and I'll see if I can help you out some. :)

#28 logicpill

logicpill

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:49 AM

I think I looked at using the same chip to talk to the 1-wire network over USB but didn't have any luck. I bought their demo kit but found that talking to the chip ended up being a lot more difficult than I had expected.

If you are using that chip directly, you might check out OWFS (one wire file system). For a simple network, it should work okay, but seemed to be way too much to use for a grid type network.

Mango open-source M2M is a neat looking project as well and since the last time I looked at it, they have added 1-wire support.

#29 DasBoot

DasBoot

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

awesome thread glasshopper - i have some national semiconductor clock chips that are super easy to use (can down load the scematics off thier web site) ...there your's if you want them - just shoot me a pm.

they only measure about 4mm x 4mm and each can run two clock cycles w/ alarm, or you can set them up to run as a countdown timer or regular timer. pretty neat stuff ...i have a whole bunch of other semiconductors and chips that you cannot buy on the open market if your looking for that type of stuff.

national semiconductor will no longer give away or sell timing circuts or timing chips to the general public ...hummm wonder why ??

#30 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

Logicpill I have a working program for the sht
I just have had no success in transposing it into a library

I want all functions to be in libraries To make
This project and as easily as possible for people to
Modify the design to suit their own needs.

But I'd be happy to share it here anyway
It has an error in my math where. Humidity
Goes over 100%.

The sht is not one wire more like a modified i2c.
However the Dallas temp sensor is so would you link that library?
Also tell me more of mango please.

The goal is to create an autonomous system that dosent need a computer to run
For logging I an working on some info I found on the web
That uses sd/mmc cards to hold the data
So far I have been able to read and write raw data
But have had no luck yet getting fat file system to work
When I remember which Os it is in I will post links
It will use almost the entire memory in the at mega
But those chips are cheap and I plan on the final design to use
A duo processor setup. One just for the memory card.

Dasboot.
SURE! Any help us welcome.
That includes parts programing or design.

#31 Jigalow

Jigalow

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Awesome Idea! but this is written in VB?

Why reinvent the wheel when you can put the car on blocks and just take the wheel!
I wounder if you can find a comerical release of a product that uses the same controller
and just ...um... you know take a look at their software. Or better yet the source code.

#32 logicpill

logicpill

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

I guess I should have looked at the part numbers to check first. The USB one-wire adapter I used was Maxim DS9490R# and is based on the DS2490 USB to 1-wire chip. This would really limit the number of nodes in the network without having two of these chips though.

One-wire file system: http://www.owfs.org/

The whole idea here is to make an abstraction over the one-wire stuff so the devices act more like files. Back when I looked at it, it seemed like too much trouble to use their system unless it was for directly exposing the devices to a web interface.

Mango: http://mango.serotoninsoftware.com/

This is pretty much a Java package that gives a web interface something like the control software you mentioned earlier. There are a bunch of inputs supported and alarm actions. The only downside is that you need to run an Apache/Tomcat web server.

#33 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

I looked into just such a system before I even have schematics for using it with a sht and one wire interface chip if you want it.
Its my understanding you can adress up to a theoretical 50 of such chipsAt once.

I'll look into that mango thanks. Seems to be the piece I was missing.

I guess I should have looked at the part numbers to check first. The USB one-wire adapter I used was Maxim DS9490R# and is based on the DS2490 USB to 1-wire chip. This would really limit the number of nodes in the network without having two of these chips though.
One-wire file system: http://www.owfs.org/
The whole idea here is to make an abstraction over the one-wire stuff so the devices act more like files. Back when I looked at it, it seemed like too much trouble to use their system unless it was for directly exposing the devices to a web interface.
Mango: http://mango.serotoninsoftware.com/
This is pretty much a Java package that gives a web interface something like the control software you mentioned earlier. There are a bunch of inputs supported and alarm actions. The only downside is that you need to run an Apache/Tomcat web server.

#34 Jigalow

Jigalow

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:39 PM

Logic & Glass,
Are you thinking about inter-grading the controllers in/on
a self contained unit?
Like using a mini-itx MOBO?

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2

Figure one could use flash media to contain a custom
cut down Linux kernel. Even could go 802.11 WIFI for
remote logging but still have outputs for LCD display..
Sorry... way ahead back to the controller design/config...

Attached Thumbnails

• 13-153-096-02.jpg
  • media.nl.jpeg

#35 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

SHTSensor libraries amoung others

Attached Files

#36 logicpill

logicpill

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:48 AM

I can't speak for glasshopper here, but I made the decision to not go that route because the hardware would end up being more expensive. Most of the mini-ITX boards would put me easily over $100 for the host machine. I'm more on the software side of things, and that would also leave me controlling everything over another port, like serial port, and I'd need to wire up some special stuff for all the sensors I'd want, which isn't my specialty.

My main goal wasn't just for a mushroom container, but for a greenhouse outside in my yard. For this to work for me, I'd need to either run cabling to it from my router or just put something out there with wireless. The arduino/freeduino route ended up seeming the easiest (since I could avoid a lot more hardware design) and one of the cheapest. Plus I could add on a wireless board to get back to my network.

I also looked at a few other devices such as E-Way TU-40, gumstix, kuro box, and even converting some routers into hosts. These all ended up being way more expensive and some of them more complex.

To me, the arduino route seems best for what I'm doing. It will let me put one out in the greenhouse for controlling and monitoring and it will be possible to route the data to my network inside using wireless, even if I need to buy another arduino to connect to my network and act as a relay. If I want to run a mushroom environment inside, I can just put it there instead and connect directly to the network. This also would let me control things over the internet or from another PC on my network.

The flash memory is a good idea though, but with the arduionos, the program can just be loaded on the chip and data stored to a flash card or usb storage device.

The only alternative that I ran into that ended up really being cheaper than the above was to use a USB or serial chip to talk directly to the sensors. This would mean much more hardware design though, and placing it remotely meant running cabling again. To get lots of devices I was looking at doing some multiplexer type stuff to talk to more than one network of sensors.

The costs end up being much cheaper, maybe only $10-$20 for the controller, but a PC would always need to be on and I'm not up to that level of hardware design.

The arduinos make it pretty simple and give you a few pins to connect to, then you control everything on the software side. You can do the multiplexer thing just by buying a few extra chips, although the sensor network ends up being a little more complicated to set up, but it is still somewhat simple wiring.

Glasshopper, in your last couple posts you seem to be leaning to the chip based device way of doing things. If you can work a multiplexer in there, you'll be able to do a lot more sensors. I was planning to do this and have requests go directly to the sensors and then add in some kind of escape sequence to change devices/networks over at the multiplexer side of things, but gave up when doing the schematic.

#37 logicpill

logicpill

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

I just found this chip that seems pretty good for a simple mushroom grow box. It does temp and humidity and looks like it is pretty easy to hook up to a serial port. It should be good for logging, if nothing else.

SHT1x7x
http://hackaday.com/...sensor-sht1x7x/

#38 Jigalow

Jigalow

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

Sensirion SHT1x/SHT7xthat little guy looks tasty good find!
Also could use USB to Serial Adapter's for those who don't have one

Looks like these guys have software for it... it wants you to make an accout to pull down the PDF...grrrrrr

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3927892/Design-of-a-Data-Logger-

#39 logicpill

logicpill

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

I found a link on using the arduino with SD cards:
http://www.arduino.c...um=1206874649/8

Glass, you mentioned this up above, but I'm not sure if you gave up on the arduino or not :)

#40 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

cool stuff. yeah totally missed this thread!:headbang:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!