• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:04 AM

My first grow was really easy. I ordered a kit from Homestead Book co., it worked out fine. They were Cambodian and I from what I understand they are more beginner friendly and fruit well in the substrate bag it came in.
Now for my second grow I ordered a 3lbs spawnbag (rye) and two 5lbs substrate bags that I can supposedly fruit in.
To start the spawn I just did the same as the kit, half q-tip covered with spores. It colonized fine so I broke it in half and transfered each half into the substrate bag, then let it do it's thing.
Now to the problem. I have one of the bags fully colonized, it's been now for like 2 and a half weeks. I'm pretty damn sure it's supposed to be doing something by now. I have compact fluros that are supplying light for my hydro so I just leave the bag on the shelf near it for it's share. Also it stays roughly between 72F and 86F in this room. Any ideas?

The strain's Columbian and I kinda want to keep them in the bag if that's possible.(Nothing laying around for a fruiting chamber and strapped for cash.)

Question #2
I'm not really worried about the second bag not colonizing fully yet, it was my fault I didn't mix the rye in well enough. But why the hell does it smell like a fart some times? I mean it not as pungent but like a hint of it. I know that could be bacteria but it seems to be springing to life as if to catch up to the first... odd.

Question #3
Is this just drowning myc? It formed on the sides of the Homestead bag but not this badly.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1209187174

Also here's a top shot of the fully colonized sub block in the bag
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1209187174

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(2).jpg
  • photo.jpg

#2 ded

ded

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

Incubate 84-86
Fruit 70-75

#3 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

Is that green in the lower left corner of the substrate in the first pic or just a weird reflection?

#4 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

Reflection, I would of noticed that..... I would be crying like a baby otherwise.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

how is fae given ?

#6 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Though the filter patch, it's supposed to be enough. I'm thinking maybe opening it like once or twice a day though to make sure it's getting the air it needs. Is that a good idea?
Oh, and I got the bags from Ladybug Landing or something like that through Ebay. [Linkage]
I figured it was cheap enough, also I couldn't get my paypal funds to my bank so I thought what the hell.

Also anyone have an idea on that methane/fart smell? Like I said the other bag is colonizing fast after a hell of a stall in the begining.... if it's bacteria wouldn't it affect the mycellium growth?

#7 stoney

stoney

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

my foaf has never had a fart smell on his mushies. I think it is safe to say your sub block is contaminated.

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

You need to pop that bag open and give lots of fresh air..There apparently was not enough air exchange to prevent a bacterial outbreak...You may be able to save it but will need plenty of fanning...

#9 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

Alright, well I opened that smelly bag. It didn't actually smell all that bad on the inside. It seems the mycellium is still growing strong, just a little slow because of the cold. Anyhow could it be from waterlogged rye? I admit I transfered the spawn a little early, so not all the berries were colonized, also both of the sub bags seem to have too much water in them. I mean is it normal for it to pool on the bottom along with the myc piss? It's atleast 3/4 cup full.

#10 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

Still no pins on bag 1, should I be worried?

#11 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Here's a little update if anyone is interested:

I got rid of alot of the uncolonized mycellium in the second bag that smelled like bad gas. It was MUCH worse on the inside,compared to before, it was so over powering I felt as if I was going to faint.

I took that good myc and the fully colonized bag and put it in a aquarium, crumbled, mixed, and sprayed with diluted bleach water to prevent any of that bad compost that might of stuck on from spreading it's funk.

Looks to me as if everything recovered well from the transfer and it seems to be ready to fruit. I have two questions though.
1. It'll be fine w/o casing right? I don't have the cash to get any so hopefully I didn't waste this whole grow.
2. It seems that inside the tank is 10 degrees higher then the room and I really don't want to make my room 60f, is there a way I can cool this short of moving it out of the room?

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(2).jpg
  • photo.jpg

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

It can fruit fine without a casing if you keep the Rh very high..
The temp inside shouldn't be that much higher than the room but low 80s is no problem if
you fan well..

#13 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

I was just estimating. It's usually 70 to 80 degrees in here(I try to keep it on the lower end). I fan and mist it at least once a day. So I take it all is good then and hopefully I'll have some fruits to show off in a week or two. Thanks.

#14 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

How long had the sub been spread out in the tank when pic taken..?
It needs to brighten up and re-connect.....

#15 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

It's been two days, I just thought about it. I gave it light today but it should be fine. How long do you think I should let it go for? I don't want to jump the gun and fruit it too early.

#16 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

Heh..After all it's been thru , i would just go ahead and put in fruiting mode..
If it doesn't start reconnecting in another day or so - there could be a problem..Looks like the humidity could be higher...
Gluk...

#17 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:06 AM

Yeah, I didn't mean to put it through this much. I had everything planned out but those problem arose, I guess you know how it goes.

I'm gonna fan/mist 2x a day and let it reconnect like you said before.
In your opinion, do you think it's gonna be fine? Is there more (or less) I could be doing for it?

#18 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:30 AM

When all else doesn't seem to be working, and everything has knit back together, cold shocking in the fridge works wonders for slow pinners. If your tray can fit into the fridge that is. It's probably good Sooshane is in charge of the grow room however. I show no mercy for things that do not fruit as I want them to, lol.

#19 aenema6x

aenema6x

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:45 AM

I don't think it's gonna fit in the fridge... it's a 10 gallon tank. Can I put the whole thing in a big garbage bag and maybe put it outside in the pantry on a cold night for a couple of hours?

#20 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

I would just leave it alone and give it a chance . I have messed up many of projects trying to do this and do that. The best advise is to let it BE ! If you give it a few days , 4 or 5 and nothing starts to reconnect , then I would worry but it should revive itself from breaking it apart while trying to fruit it. Mycillium is very resistant to things when colonised and I try not to use any Chemicals such as bleach when transferring, It seems to give more problems than help them. Ifr your rooms is kept clean and things are wped down after touching , hands are washed between and b4 you go to touch your poject ... you should have no prob. . I am not a pro but I have learned ALOT from growers here, Patients is the best advise and It is hard to follow. Every project has its ups and downs and this is why I try to have others for back up and in different stages so that I have something to play with if something goes wrong. Hope this helps.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!