Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:12 AM

Bismarck man faces charges over salvia possession

Apr 09, 2008 - 04:05:08 CDT
By JENNY MICHAEL
Bismarck Tribune
A Bismarck man has been charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver after police allegedly found 8 ounces of salvia in his home.

Kenneth Rau, 46, was charged Tuesday with the Class Afelony, along with Class Afelony possession of psilocybin with intent to deliver, Class Amisdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and Class B misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

South Central District Judge Tom Schneider set bond for Rau at $2,500 cash.

Salvia divinorum and its active ingredient, salvinorin A, were declared a schedule one narcotic by the 2007 North Dakota Legislature. Salvia divinorum, a perennial herb, is native to Mexico and related to other varieties of salvia, which are common garden plants. While salvia divinorum has hallucinogenic effects when chewed or smoked, other varieties of salvia are not known to have such effects.

Burleigh County Assistant State's Attorney Lloyd Suhr said he had not previously seen a case of someone charged for possessing the substance since it was outlawed Aug. 1, 2007, but he could not immediately confirm that it was the first such case in Burleigh County. Suhr had to pronounce salvia for Schneider and tell him what it is, as the judge apparently had not heard of the substance.

North Dakota is one of several states to have made salvia divinorum illegal, though neither it nor salvinorin A are controlled under the federal Controlled Substances Act.

Bismarck Police Sgt. Dwight Offerman said police went to Rau's northeast Bismarck home at 3 p.m. Monday to assist parole and probation officers in serving a warrant on Kenneth Rau's son, Scott Rau.

Scott Rau appeared in court on Tuesday on a petition for revocation of probation on convictions for possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, two counts of possession of oxycontin. He also faces new charges of preventing arrest, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana. Schneider set bond for him at $10,000.

As part of the arrest of Scott Rau, officers searched the home, where both Kenneth and Scott Rau live, Offerman said.He said officers found several bags of salvia, totalling 8 ounces, and drug paraphernalia.

Suhr told Schneider 8 ounces constitutes about 480 doses of salvia, though Kenneth Rau said the amount he had would not be that many doses because it was dry leaves not extract. Schneider cut him off from speaking further, reminding him of his right to remain silent.

(Reach reporter Jenny Michael at 250-8225 or [email protected].)

http://www.bismarckt...news/152921.txt
I find it amusing that the judge had never heard of it.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

:thumbdown:

#3 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Sometimes, I wish I could understand the mentality that demands control of others' bodies and minds. At other times, I'm thankful that I can't.

#4 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

:bs: Time to order (if it's still legal where you are) to have some for the future if you ever want the chance to do it again.

#5 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Where I live, they made it illegal for under 18. Grownups can indulge.

#6 Psilo Betto

Psilo Betto

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

Legal or not, I will never mess with that stuff again. Gave me the scare of a lifetime. I still think about that trip, and it was 3 years ago!:puke:

#7 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

I just remembered, a few weeks ago I was listening to some talk show or newscast or something. Someone was talking about salvia. Seems it was someone regarded by someone as a drug expert.

They were spouting about this salvia stuff that was cheap, legal and easily available. They said that it was going to be the new marijuana, all the kids would be smoking it constantly, had to be eradicated, illegalized, purveyors shot etc. etc.

A lot like when khat came on the scene with the early waves of Somalian refugees and legislative idiots decided that it was a horrible drug. 'Course that was a racial/cultural suppression kind of thing, too.

Well, to Psilo's point, if the arsehole knew anything at all, he'd know that salvia use is pretty much self-limiting. Even if it doesn't scare the shit right out of you and you never want to go back there, it's not something you just toke up for a happy Saturday night.

Personally, I like it. There are certain times when a moderate dose takes me where I want to go. But once or twice a year, at the most. And not too much of it.

Okay. Rambling. But the point is, most laws of this nature are proposed, enacted and enforced by people totally ignorant of, and oblivious to, the real situation. Then, with a self-satisfied smile, they go home, enjoy a cigarette and a highball, and go to sleep knowing they've done the right thing.

#8 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

I watched the news once and the kid on there said "it makes you like psycho and stuff".

#9 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

I watched the news once and the kid on there said "it makes you like psycho and stuff".

Different people have different reactions. Alcohol makes some people "psycho".

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

CNN was running youtube video of dumbass kids wasted on 20x,
looks bad.
grow your own now.

#11 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

well thas shitty.

#12 lionelfire

lionelfire

Keeping on

• Expired Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

Saw on the news last night that it is now illegal in Kansas.

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hip said:

grow your own now.

... nuff said :reb:

#14 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

http://www.cnn.com/v...alvia.fears.cnn

#15 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

http://www.cnn.com/v...alvia.fears.cnn

anyone else notice an unsurprising lack of viewpoints in this "news story?

I love the fat Cali councilman who's so concerned about health that he wants to ban an herb...:lol:

#16 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

I must say that I really like the sign above, but getting back to the subject, the DEA is alway looking for another pet peave. They will do anything do break the publics spirit and quest for a drug free world. In response, I say resit and do more than just question authority.

#17 nicholas

nicholas

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

It was bound to happen sooner or later. In my area I see smoke shops selling "salvia 10x", "20x", etc. I've had smoke shop owners ask me if i wanna "trip out" on some salvia. I also see young dumb kids handing it out at parties with others wanting to take as much as possible so they can "get wasted" then doing really really stupid stuff.

I blame these people for making salvia such a target.

#18 largeankle

largeankle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

what is even bad about salvia. i cant even stand when i trip on it. nobody does crimes while doing it. scheduling it only creates more crimes . ignorant people. it makes me wonder how much greater the world would be if aldous huxley and timothy leary had actually been taken seriously . i rarely use it but have had some of my most profound trips on it. last time i used it i sparked up a bong load while sitting in my darkened bedroom i slipped into its grips for a couple of minutes then had one of the most restful sleeps i've ever had, and i glowed the entire next day trying to recall alnd draw all the visions and patterns i saw. I am such a criminal, get me off the streets

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

A2ZbfC3eQ_o

LuM2oREjE6Y

#20 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

Alcohol makes some people "psycho".

Thats true. I wonder why they dont make alcohol illegal again.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!