• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Jmyco

Jmyco

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:49 AM

So a friend came over to try out the "stealthier honey tek" the plan was 30 grams dry mushies extracted, mixed into 1/2 cup of honey and reduced back down to ~1/2 cup of magic honey, for an approx 1 gram per teaspoon honey.

She put hot water over the dried mushies, waited about 10 minutes, then decided to put the project on hold until the morning, so then she added buffered vitamin C. (We didn't have any pure ascorbic acid so she thought the buffered vitamin c would at the very least act as an antioxidant)

The brew was looking very blue before she added buffered vitamin C. Interestingly as soon as the buffered vitamin C was added, all the blue disappeared. So was all the psilocybin just destroyed or was the oxidation of the phenolic compounds just reversed, thereby preserving the magic?

I am thinking the magic was just preserved.
Any chemistry savvy folks want to share your thoughts?
Thanks, jmyco

p.s. Thank you Mycotopia for existing. You all rock!:bow:

#62 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

if you finished it try it out. after all it won't kill you.

#63 camMyco

camMyco

Modified Honey

• Expired Member
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

There is one way to know for sure...

#64 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

My bet is that the vitamin C was helpful.
Eat it.

#65 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

I never have seen dried shrooms turn blue in the water , they remain brown..
Can't answer the Q - could go either way..All i know is , the more they blue - the weaker
they get..
Of course i always add the vitamin C in the beginning, so that maybe preventing any blueing and hopefully oxidation too...
Glad your trying the liquid honey method..Mine is holding potency very well at 1 month now...

#66 Jmyco

Jmyco

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

Swim will have to try again. I think it got to hot so most of the magic was ruined. But I did get a really cool video of the very blue (post steep and drain) mushies instantly unblue with some vit c water. Is there a way to upload a video here?
I think Swim will need to use a double boiler to have more control over the temperature. I think another try is in the near future. Also thinking to add lemon juice to boost the extraction prior to honey reduction.
Thanks again. I will keep you posted on Swim's progress.

#67 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

upload it to youtube and we can embed it here

#68 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:01 AM

What was your total cooking time..?
50 mins at boiling point caused no noticable loss of magic in my test...
Best to boil down the tea till it becomes syrupy first, then add the preheated honey..Cook that down a bit more untill it has the same thickness as that of hot honey

#69 Jmyco

Jmyco

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

The mushies looked like they had lots more magic, so 2nd and 3rd brews were added to the batch, which ended up with too much liquid. So when swim tried to evap down, it took too long, 3 hours and the stove was difficult to control. At the lowest possible setting, the mix was getting to 180+ degrees, Swim tried to turn on for a while then turn off to control the temp... even at those temps, no noticeable bubbling or boiling. I think a double boiler will help control the temperature, and using more acidic and less volume...Only time and another try will tell.

Until then, check out the blue video:

[Direct Link]

Video quality is crap, but you can see they start our Blue Man group- BLUE, then go right back to mushie tan. Pretty cool, I wish I understood the chemistry a bit more.

#70 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

It won't reduce fast enough in a double boiler..I think time maybe a more important factor than the boiling itself..
Dunno what the breakdown time/temp curve is but the boiling temps ARE required..So it's the time spent that should be kept to a minimum..

The evaporation should be done in a large frypan, so the evap surface is as large as possible - reducing the time needed to cook down..

Constant stirring as things thicken up , allows for a higher heat level n' shorter time..

#71 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

maybe adding more honey
instead of boiling off water
would reduce time at high heat.
one could even pre-condense the honey
by boiling off water before adding the shroom-laden honey.

#72 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

Yeah , could help..
I will try with Cubes in a few weeks...

The one limiting factor with this liquid honey method, is that you can only make a quarter pint of finished product at a time..If you try to do more - the cook time is further extended, which could be degrading to the psilly...
Still, a Q pint could have 20 gram equivelent, It's well worth the effort if stealth or flavour is a high priority...
Otherwise the powdered honey is more efficient , a Q pint holds 30grams max..

In my original Honey jar the only change noted over the last 4 weeks is , it has lost it's jelly-like consistancy ..It's now just pure honey-like..

Jmyco , i just saw your video .:cool:..I would crush your mush a bit finer to speed the extraction time and complete the whole process in one hour or less , then refridgerate
or freeze ...

Color, flavour and potency remain the same [ at 36F ]

#73 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

in jelly they use pectin to gel the water,
wonder if it might work in honey too ?

#74 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

its almost like shroom jelly...oh yea!:bow:
have to give this a try next round...

#75 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

The extract from early May is still potent after 6 weeks..
Almost ready to try the Cubensis version..

I just realized that for this tek , no drying of the mush is needed - just boil 'em up...

#76 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

It occurred to me as I was skimming through the new recipes I want to try that "Archive Material" probably applies to this thread... :bow:

#77 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

A 40g Cube extraction into a quarter pint of honey has been done..Will test on weekend..
Took one hour total...this would be about the maximum concentration possible, if it worked - 1g dry per 3ml but realistically , proly more like 75% efficient ...

#78 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:53 AM

cant wait to try this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!