Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

First Timer B+ 70/30 coir/verm on poo. Friend needs some pinning advice, please help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mutiny

Mutiny

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

My FOAF has had this current project going since about the 15th of March, things are going slow because he says that he is learning on the the job.

It is a B+ strain with substrate made of 6 quarts of 50/50 poo/coir, the casing is about 3/4" of 70/30 coir/verm with some hydrated lime to keep it feeling regular. The temp was kept at 84 F for 2 weeks then changed over to a steady 77 to 79 deg F at the first sign of myc. No patching was done as this is a monotub. The information he gathered on monotubs stated not to touch the myc. The RH has been up and down because of the fan near the box, but is has never fallen below 80%. The bulk of the time it stays above 90%. 14 hours of light has been introduced by means of cool fluorescent bulb on a timer.

Note: The top HAS been opened on several occasions for random maintenance. Such as the installation of a decent hygrometer, cats messing with the polyfill knocking it out of the holes, etc.

I have attached some thumbnails of what is going on.

The top was also removed for the purpose of detailed photographs...... :(

1st
The monotub he made, the silicon aquarium glue broke about half way through the fruiting process so he used gorilla tape to keep the plexiglass air tight. It works GREAT!

2nd

Size comparison of a regular tub next to the one he is using. His may be too big for proper growth...

3rd
The myc has been everywhere for the past 7 days but no pinning is developing. Plenty of rhizo though. The main fear is the dreaded overlay...

4th

Up close shot, that particular section was the first to pop out a week ago. It has been under the light constantly everyday and still no sign of pinning.

Did he f it up when taking off the top? I told him that I do not see any contams, which I think is good for his first time out. I also told him that it looks like he is late on pinning, but I am noob so I want to get a second opinion. Preferably a 3rd fourth and fifth opinion as well. :bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• P5030302.JPG
  • P5030301.JPG
  • P5030303.JPG
  • P5030304.JPG

#2 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

Actually looks good man.

Once the mycel gets strong and takes over allot of the surface it will start to pin.
7 days isnt to long for a cassing.
I usually keep mine in the dark until 75% of the surface has been took over by mycel then i introduce light and usually get pins about 7 days later.
In your case i think you have a good few more days till you see pins but,all looks well thus far;)
Good job!

#3 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

What kinda grain was the spawn?
Also,how much spawn was used to inoc the sub?
  • Nsnail likes this

#4 Mutiny

Mutiny

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

It was grown in quart jars of regular old popcorn. He PC'ed them then innoculated with 4 cc of spores into each. All of this was done in a hastily made glovebox. Tyvek filters were used for air exchange while incubation at 84 deg F

Hope that is enough info :headbang:

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

Did he f it up when taking off the top? I told him that I do not see any contams, which I think is good for his first time out. I also told him that it looks like he is late on pinning, but I am noob so I want to get a second opinion. Preferably a 3rd fourth and fifth opinion as well. :bow:

No worries, once the substrate is fully colonized (which I assume happened before you cased) it's much tougher/ more resilient against contams. Don't hack up phlegm on it or anything, but simple cleanliness is sufficient.

Your best strategy now is patience, maintaining FAE and rH, and otherwise leaving them alone! Like nilla said, it looks fine. At this stage, most failures come from loving the grow to death. The mycelium in your pics looked perfectly happy.

Nice acrylic window on your bin, BTW. I have some bins that look similar (with acrylic windows) and really like being able to stare at them without squinting through plastic sheeting or the sort-of-clear, condensation covered plastic bins.

#6 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

The 3/4 inch casing is a bit deep imo. Like TV mentioned, I hope you cased after the poo mix was 100% colonized. I find casings no deeper than 1/2 inch work best.

It looks nice and healthy though. Waiting for pins is the hardest part.

#7 Mutiny

Mutiny

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

Nice acrylic window on your bin, BTW. I have some bins that look similar (with acrylic windows) and really like being able to stare at them without squinting through plastic sheeting or the sort-of-clear, condensation covered plastic bins.

Man, was that ever a bitch to do. Dremel and elbow grease. I am never getting conned into doing dirty work ever again.
UPDATE: Yes it was cased after beiing 100% colonized. 4 quarts were mixed into the substrate with 2 acting as a "frosting layer". It took two weeks to colonize fully. A sleeping bag was used to cover the window so it had absolute darkness. The temp stayed at about 83 deg F for that time, with some fluctuation due to the A/C.
Ok, so I will tell him to leave it be. I was worried because the other pictures I have seen of pinning cases have had much less myc on the top.

#8 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

You used 70/30 coir/verm mix for casing........coir is a great colonizer so that most likely explains the heavier colonization of your casing layer.

Hope you have a pinning dance soon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!