#1 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

These are the only Psilocybe caerulipes pics i've been able to find online.

Hopefully this will help clear up some of the confusion with ovoideocystidiata.
Notice the small stature of caerulipes.
Anyone else got pics of Blue-foot?

I've updated some info in the wiki..
http://en.wikipedia....cybe_caerulipes

Attached Thumbnails

• Psilocybe Caerulipes Guzman.jpg
  • bluefoot.jpg
  • bluefoot2.jpg
  • 1.jpg

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#2 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:30 AM

These are the only Psilocybe caerulipes pics i've been able to find online.

Hopefully this will help clear up some of the confusion with ovoideocystidiata.
Notice the small stature of caerulipes.
Anyone else got pics of Blue-foot?

I've updated some info in the wiki..
http://en.wikipedia....cybe_caerulipes

mushroomjohn.org/species.htm

#3 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks John, how sure are you of the last few pics on your site?
That first pic must be over 100 years old, very cool.

The later pics seem a little large, at 2 inches across, to be caerulipes, also in your description of caerulipes, The range and season is off.
I updated the wiki to include all the major sources for the last 125 years.

Did you get your SEM finished on the caerulipes?

I'm very interested in the details of these finds, if you'd like to share..:bow:

#4 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thanks but those are Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata.
Notice the annulus and larger stature.
caerulipes won't typically have cap wave and do not bruise blue as brightly.

#5 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Good to know, thanks for the info.

#6 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

Here is the updated Psilocybe caerulipes description.
i hope this helps someone find the real ones this year.

• Cap: 1 to 3.5 cm in diameter, Obtusely conic to convex, margin incurved at first, becoming broadly convex to plane or retaining a slight umbo, at times quite irregular, surface viscid when moist from a gelatinous pellicle, but soon becoming dry and shiny, translucent-striate, and decorated with fine fibrillose veil remnants near the margin, often with greenish stains near the margin or a greenish tinge overall. Cinnamon brown to dingy brown when fresh, hygrophanous and soon fading to dingy ochraceous buff to cinnamon buff. Flesh thin, pliant, bruising blue, sometimes slowly.
  • Gills: Close to crowded, narrow with adnate to sinuate to uncinate attachment. They are light brown at first, becoming rusty cinnamon as the spores mature.edges whitish and slightly fimbriate.
  • Spores: Dark purple brown, ellipsoid, 7-10 by 4-5 um from 4-spored basidia, thick walled, with a broad germ pore. Spores from 2-spored basidia are larger.
  • Stipe: 3 to 6 cm long, 1.5 to 3 mm thick, whitish to buff at first. Pallid to bluish when dried, becoming dingy brown towards the base with age, bruises blue, sometimes slowly. Surface powdered at the apex, and covered with whitish to grayish fibrils downwards. Flesh stuffed with a pith and solid at first but becoming tubular or hollow, Lacks an annulus but sometimes remnants of the thin cortinate partial veil form a soon disappearing evanescent fibrillose annular zone in the superior region of the stem.
  • Taste: Farinaceous.
  • Odor: None to slightly farinaceous.
  • Microscopic features: Basidia 2 and 4 spored. Pleurocystidia absent. Cheilocystidia 18-35 x 4.5-7.5 um, langeniform, with a thin neck, sometimes forked, 1-2.5 um broad at apices.
Psilocybe caerulipes is found from August to October, on hardwood slash and debris, plant matter, on or about decaying hardwood logs, birch, beech and maple, especially along river systems. From Maine to North Carolina, west to Michigan, has also been found as far north as Ontario Canada and as far south as Mexico. A delicate and small mushroom, it can grow on leave stems. It grows solitary or in small groups. It is often overlooked as just another little brown mushroom, although widely distributed, it is not found often. It is sometimes confused with the larger Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata.

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:21 PM

That is a description of a smaller mushroom than i imagined..So some other pics i've seen on the net would not match the above info..Seems Bluefoot is as elusive as Bigfoot.

#8 shremage

shremage

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

This thread has some good pics
http://mycotopia.net...html#post217918

Thought better and didn't want to highjack this thread so tried to post on the other linked thread but no reply option....I guess too old...

Thanks for posting the link to that incredible pic of the fruit "stemming" from from 'Mushpuppets' motivated endeaver.
Now that these mushrooms have begun to be found recently this season ironically I was just the other day thinking back to that phenominal original Shroomery ? thread / grow log.....and its great you reported /documented it here right along coinciding especially as I believe it had been deleted ? there some time ago. He also obviously has the ability to take some phenominal photographs.

As stated by "warriorsoul' ...those were what are NOW considered
Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. Also in that thread you provided Workman talks about intent of propogation from some spore sources he had. I believe once into production upon later closer examination / scrutiny of fruit he had found those ? to ALSO be Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata.
Also notice this wasn't only a grow or just someone relocating a chunk of habitat intact.....but went to another level in a sense wildcrafting some basic elements and playing a lttle bit of God in attempting to create a miniature simulated natural streamside biome to simulate mother nature in a petri dish even down to the winter freeze..

Now notice this was way back to Jan. '06...
At the risk of being redundant....Mushpuppet said:

QUOTE:

"01/21/06 This grow is an attempt to simulate a hard Winter, followed by a Spring thaw, which produces a flood, which picks up colonized wood, and buries it in mud along the stream bank."

"First, I collected the wild Mycelium and put it in the freezer in a plastic bag. The next morning, when I took it out, it was frozen solid; in fact, I was worried that I may have killed it, but I figured if it could survive being frozen in the wild, then perhaps it could survive my freezer."

"When I picked up the myc, I also collected a bag full of sandy river mud. To ensure good drainage, like what would be found in the wild, I melted about twenty holes in the bottom of each glad-ware dish by heating a nail with a candle and then sticking it through the bottom. I then put about an inch of river sand/mud in the the bottom of each dish, followed by about an inch of frozen colonized wood chips/sticks. I then cased with another 1/2 inch of sand/mud on top."

"Next I gave it a thorough soaking with cold tap water to wash mud into the empty spaces around the substrate . Then I placed the dishes in a tub humidified by wet orchid moss (I think this works better than Perlite , more surface area), kept it at room temperature near a window, and fanned and misted several times daily. After about ten days, pins!"

Glad you posted that Waylit !

#9 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,947 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:31 AM

Wow you did a great job on that wiki article. Excellent description, it is easily the best out of any mushroom on wikipedia. I bet in 50 years the text will be almost the same but there will be lots of pictures added.

I didn't realize until you pointed it out how small the caps on P. caerulipes are. The one pic you posted almost looks like a Mycena.

The black and white pic was taken by AH Smith, who certainly knew what he was doing. It is clearly a Psilocybe species, but not one I have seen before. The caps on the left are clearly campanulate, which I do not see in the species description.

The lower pics are clearly suspect because the caps are larger than 3.5 cm. But I don't see an annulus on the stipe, so I am not sure what I would call them. They aren't really clear enough to say for sure.

Guzman put P. caerulipes in section Semilanceatae. I think that is just crazy. Apparently he places species with pleurocystidia in section cyanescens and species without pleurocystidia go into Semilanceatae. (See TGP p. 78 and 79) Seems a bit arbitrary to me.

#10 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

Thanks!
First person to post a real caerulipes picture gets a falbino or pf redspore print!

#11 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Guzman put P. caerulipes in section Semilanceatae. I think that is just crazy. Apparently he places species with pleurocystidia in section cyanescens and species without pleurocystidia go into Semilanceatae. (See TGP p. 78 and 79) Seems a bit arbitrary to me.

In Guzman's Suppliment to the Genus Psilocybe (page 121) he combines Section Cyanescens with section Semilanceatae (Semilanceata). I don't agree with this and I still retain the distinction between the sections, although there are some confounding species that seem to share traits with both sections.

#12 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

In Guzman's Suppliment to the Genus Psilocybe (page 121) he combines Section Cyanescens with section Semilanceatae (Semilanceata). I don't agree with this and I still retain the distinction between the sections, although there are some confounding species that seem to share traits with both sections.

I think he based that assumption on his idea that p. azurescens was also related to P. semilanceata, at least microscopically. I too do not agree with him on that note.

mjshroomer

#13 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,450 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:14 AM

Well that image was going to be published in the paper by me, Dan and Prakitsin and gartz and now we cannot use it for the journal. They were going to publish the image in full color. Now I have to pick another image of Dan's and mushpuppets which has not been posted onthe web.

mjshroomer

#14 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

Are you saying they are in fact caerulipes?
Your as elusive as blue-foot itself! lol

#15 shremage

shremage

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Are you saying they are in fact caerulipes?

Saying Ps. ovoideocystidiata because wanted the pic for a paper on the species...
That pic ? had already I'm pretty sure ? been posted on the internet way back then on 'Mushpuppets' original growlog on 'Shroomery' but since deleted some time back and also documented and posted here coinciding at the same time here at Mycotopia by 'Waylit' in the link provided above for all these years.
Also in that link are the other ? pictures from the original ? 'Mushpuppet' growlog which might possibly be part of the pool of pictures you wish to choose another pic from so may want to take a look at that thread above. Would be cool to see if possible in the paper some abbreviated mention from the 'Mushpuupet' growlog experiment such as some of the prep 816171773-IMG_6652_edited.jpg down to things such as freezing the Mycelium, etc...... if this is the first documentation of cultivation possibly for Ps. ovoideocystidiata.. About as interesting as anything and may give a little insight to it and similar occuring species ? Always thought a cool experiment.
> "Anyone else got pics of Blue-foot?"
760447031-dude1.jpg
Also on the link above in the thread posted by 'Waylit' where he posted pics for Ps. caerulipes in the other thread were actually from Johns website under Ps. caerulipes and he aknowledges John for the pics.....
"Thanks to the following people for the information and pictures. MJ Shroomer, Richard D James, Paul Stamets, Lizard King, Blue meanie."
On his website John acknowledges 'Raver' for the pics....."Photos compliments of Raver"
Those pics were from a post I remember from a few years back on 'The Shroomery' posted by 'Buggers' of shrooms found in western West Virginia on 06/01/05 here at this link below where John asks 'Buggers' for permission to use them on his website as Ps. caerulipes....."If it is okay I wouldl like to post some of them at the Mushroom John website, species ID section. Of course credit will be gfiven if that is okay.".
http://www.shroomery...4242624#4242624
This is probably one of the closer set of pics you'll find at 'The Shroomery' but were they ever identified ?

#16 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

thanks.
Like Alan said, those mushrooms are suspect because the season is a little off and the size is too large.
They look like ovoids without the annulus, maybe because of there advanced age it washed off or something.

#17 shremage

shremage

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:24 AM

The pics from "Buggers" thread are the right 2 on the other thread and the bottom 5 on MJ website credited as DTM under the 3 for Raver.

#18 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

After doing some more research, this is what ive discovered..
The veil on ovoideocysidiata ranges from a thin cortina that leaves a barely perceptible annular zone, to a substantial membrane that leaves a fairly persistent annulus.

#19 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

And here it is, Psilocybe caerulipes.   enjoy!  :rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• bluefoot.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 23 February 2018 - 06:47 AM.
removed broken link

#20 Sillycyber

Sillycyber

Observer

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Nice pictures. I can't wait to find these things!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!