• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

I have always had in mind of starting some tobacco plants for smoke, seed, and genetics.

I have found these species that are sold over the net:
Nicotiana tabacum
Nicotiana alata
Nicotiana sylvestris
Nicotiana trigonophylla
Nicotiana persica
Nicotiana glauca
Nicotiana Rustica

has anyone had experience with tobacco cultivation?
i am quitting buying commerical tobacco, and have made the vow not to smoke until i have grown tobacca by my own methods without paying 'the man'. i also want to breed different species to customize a certain type of smoke regionally adapted to resist Zone 4 conditions and perhaps be perennialized. i am thinking that a desert tobacco (Nicotiana trigonophylla) crossed with persian tobacco (Nicotiana persica) would give me these characteristics, however i am unsure whether or not they will cross.

this is my ambition, i hope to update this project as soon as i start acquiring the seed.

#2 Myst_Hunter

Myst_Hunter

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

I grew Nicotiana Rustica one time in my dorm room, seemed easy enough to start. Got the seeds off of Ebay at the time. Too bad I left for vacation, because they all died when I got back!

#3 stormer88

stormer88

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

I'm presently growing Nicotiana Rustica. I have 4 of them starting. I've moved one of them to my garden and 3 are still in pots. They were extremely easy to germ and are suppose to be the strongest tobacco there is.

Other than that I don't know much about them. The seeds are very small a little bigger than poppy seeds. So you have to germ them in a single container than transplant the ones you want to keep after the first week or so. You'll usually get about 25-30 germed at the same time. I couldn't use all of them, so I took 4 and transplanted them and tossed the rest.

Heres a pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• Nicotine Rustica 002.jpg
  • Nicotine Rustica 001.jpg

#4 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:40 AM

those look good stormer, however i thought the south american tobaccos are the strongest.

#5 stormer88

stormer88

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:58 AM

Nicotina Rustica is a south American type. It's also known as Aztec Tobacco.

"Nicotiana rustica, known in South America as Mapacho, is a very potent variety of tobacco. The high concentration of nicotine in its leaves makes it useful for creating organic pesticides.

Rustica is also used for entheogenic purposes by South American shamans. Growing in the rainforest it contains up to twenty times more nicotine than common North American varieties such as N. tabacum. Most commonly, it is allowed to soak in water, and the water is then insufflated; it is also smoked in cigars and used as an enema. It is also a common admixture of Ayahuasca in some parts of the rainforest. Great care should be taken in its use since nicotine is a deadly poison in even small doses. Even handling the leaves with bare hands can cause nicotine poisoning."

#6 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

so i narrowed it down to these strains:

'Mountain Tobacco' Nicotiana Attenuata
'Chilean Tobacco' Nicotiana Langsdorffi
'Indian Tobacco' Nicotiana Rustica
'Argentina Tobacco' Nicotiana Sylvestris
'Black Sea Samsun Turkish' Nicotiana Tabaccum

i decided against buying them separately from all over the place (because thats a pain-in-the-ass), thankfully i found all of them for $2.20/pack at seedman.com.

i do wish to keep some as indoor plants, but i am hoping that a mix of all five of these would do me over good, especially if only one tobacco plant produces four pounds of smoke. so times five thats 20 lbs of smoke from one curing! when they germinate anyone wish to trade plant, leaves, or seed, i am all ears.:pirate:

#7 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

btw, the USDA has their own names for these
Nicotiana Attenuata - Coyote tobacco
Nicotiana Langsdorffi - Langsdorff's tobacco
Nicotiana Rustica - Aztec tobacco
Nicotiana Sylvestris - South American tobacco
Nicotiana Tabaccum L... well, tobacco

some interesting facts:

The various species of Wild Tobacco are mainly used externally as an analgesic poultice and in liniments and salves for its analgesic qualities on sore muscles and joints, sunburns, or any external pain. Add a strong infusion of the leaves to bath water to relieve the pains of hemmorrhoids, menstrual cramps, muscle bruises or muscles sore from over use.
Tobacco neutralizes skin reactions to bites and stings, stopping the swelling, burning and itching. Fresh leaves can be crushed and applied to insect bites and stings, dried leaves should be moistened before applying. Even processed commercial tobacco (N. tabacum) can be used on insect bites and bee stings, so if no tobacco plants are nearby, look for a cigarette butt and moisten the tobacco in it to apply as a poultice.

http://www.purrfectl.../education.html

A liniment for sore joints and muscles can be made by steeping one cup of dried wild tobacco leaves and one tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder in a quart of alcohol for at least two weeks.

Tobacco is also useful as an insecticide: steep one cup of dried, crumbled leaves in a quart of boiling water for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add one tablespoon of liquid detergent; cool to room temperature. Strain and spray onto plants. Do not use commercial pipe, cigar or cigarette tobacco as an insecticide on plants in the Solanaceae family, such as peppers, tomatoes and potatoes, as it often contains the mosaic virus which will infects plants of this family.

The smoke from tobacco is also used ceremonially as a means of communication with spirit and to facilitate peaceful communications between those in the ceremony. It emphasizes the inclusiveness of those partaking. The smoke travels to the land of the spirits and it is thought that the ancestors remember the pleasure of tobacco smoke used in ceremony and thus return to partake of the essence of the tobacco, bringing with them their wisdom and assistance. Tobacco and tobacco smoke were used in divination among some indigenous peoples.

About Nicotiana Rustica or Mapacho

Tobacco also sealed peace treaties between tribes and agreements between individuals. For such a purpose, the chief often kept a special pipe with a long decorated stem, "Peace Pipes". It was an important Shamanic tool throughout the amazon. Used alone for its entheotic powers or sometimes smoked during Ayahuasca ceremonies or added to the brew. The smoke itself was thought to be sacred and purifying, and tobacco was often burned to purify and protect, even if not inhaled.
http://www.bouncingb...acco-p-157.html

Dried leaves of N. rustica plants can contain up to 9% nicotine, whereas N. tabacum nicotine levels tend to range between 1% to 3% (Buchanan 1994: 35).
http://artsci.wustl....cotiana_sp.html

About Black Sea Turkish tobacco
duh, it was cultivated around the Black Sea after its intro into Turkey
The variety bred for the method of smoking in a hookah aka waterpipe.

Tekel is the largest Turkish company to market Turkish tobacco in Turkey and R. J. Reynolds is the largest in the world under the cigarette brand name Camel that they introduced in 1913.

Camel became R.J. Reynolds' first major cigarette brand and the country's first nationally marketed cigarette. Camel's unique blend of flue-cured, burley and exotic Turkish tobaccos made it the nation's No. 1 selling brand just four years after its introduction.
http://www.rjrt.com/...dsPortfolio.asp

Tekel could effectively hold intellectual property rights over "turkish" tobacco if it wanted to, but R.J. Reynolds wouldnt like that, unless it owned Tekel.

#8 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

So i got my seeds and started them on 5/23
At 6/2 I have signs of good germination of 4 out of 5 varieties so far.

pic 1 - tobacco seed scale
pic 2 - mountain tobacco (Nicotiana attenuata)
pic 3 - indian tobacco (Nicotiana rustica)
pic 4 - chilean tobacco (Nicotiana langsdorffi)
pic 5 - 'black sea' tobacco (Nicotiana tabaccum)

i have no germ yet from argentina tobacco (Nicotiana sylvestris)

all seeds came from seedman.com, were very cheap and fast shipping.

all were started in a pre-packaged seed starting kit from the nursery composed of 100% coir. i merely sprinkled them on top of the moistened medium and pressed them onto the surface (tobacco seeds require light to germinate). i'm keeping in mind that they are of the nightshades and are heavy feeders.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02761.JPG
  • DSC02760.JPG
  • DSC02759.JPG
  • DSC02758.JPG
  • DSC02757.JPG

#9 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:50 PM

:kewl:

#10 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,011 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:00 PM

No longer smoke tobacco myself, but if I did and I had the space/land to grow it on that's the way to go that's for sure.
Kind of like the difference in coffee out of a can ( think Folger's or something like that ) and freshly grinding your own from a good roaster right before you brew it.
Be sure to let us know how it all goes.
:weedpoke:

#11 purefficiency

purefficiency

Long-Term Dabbler

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

where are you at now?

Iam also growing 4 varieties started at the same time.

#12 mariotrip

mariotrip

SuperMarioWorld!

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

I'd love to grow my own tobacco. I wonder how much space I'd need just for 4-6 plants (I have no land lol).

#13 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:28 PM

oh yeah update: GH temps got too high, even at the floor it was still 95 F, in the heat it can be 105 F in it. the mountain tobacco was the one which remained healthy, the others showed difficulty of growing good in high heat and low humidity, thus died. i am also reconsidering my germinating seeds in a different fashion with some good soil and coir. a couple i am just going to broadcast in the prairie area. may also give cold frames a shot, possibly hydroculture, uh hyderoponics in a cold frame? we'll see. :eusa_thin

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

bummer,
better luck next time.

#15 immortalon

immortalon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:11 AM

I've been growing the Indian Tobacco for a few years now. I found it to be very easy to grow in both the garden and the it did even better in the green house. Each year since, I don't have to plant it. The seeds are plenty and start on their own where I had them planted. The best thing to do at this point is pick a few hardy plants and transplant them to where you want them. I had put quite a few in small plastic planters to transplant later, but the result was that the plants never got more than a foot tall when put in the ground, so it seems important to get them immediately in the ground.
Once you grow them, the next step will be curing the tobacco.
I grow mine for Native American ceremonies, and pass much of it on to an elder that passes it on to other elders. So, in truth I never smoked tobacco, and didn't realize what it was supposed to be like as a final product. The first year I dried it like I would herbs, but there's a lot more to it than that.
The starches in the plant need to change into sugars, and to do this you will need a place to hang the cut plants to cure. I wait til I see some of the leaves starting to turn brown, and that's when I cut them. The plants that came up in the spring, I just cut last week. Those that started later in the greenhouse are still going strong, and the extra heat of the greenhouse makes for a heartier plant here in PA.
I have given some of the tobacco to friends that smoke cigarettes, and they all say that it not only is very smooth, but it also gives them a buzz. I know from being around people that smoke only natural tobacco, that the smoke from the natural tobacco is pleasant, unlike the foul smell you get from commercial cigarettes. For as cheap as it is to grow your own, I can't imagine why more people that smoke don't go this route.

#16 ernestro

ernestro

minding matter

• Expired Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

i'd love to, but what are the weather conditions for tobbaco? Lots of light, hot weather, easy-non freezing winterS?

#17 immortalon

immortalon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

Tobacco likes warm weather, but grows here in the North very well. It's a perennial, so you don't have to worry about harsh winter weather, and each year I just let nature start the seed that fell on the ground. It's a relatively short growing season, from May to late Aug.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!