• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

I'm seeking a new hepa for a new hood. I would like to hear from people who have good experience with a vendor. I would like to find somewhere a little cheaper than FungiPerfecti-Mr Stamets. Someone that sells to me the average Joe. I thought I had a good one with Filters RX, but they no longer sell direct and won't get back to me with a list of retailers of their products. I don't wish to spend way to much time digging through way outdated lists. I've already done that. I thank you in advance for your input.

#2 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

You might want to consider a Dual Element Ion Generator. It takes out .001 micron! No
hepa can come close. There has been much discussion here on this unit FMRC sells for
$71.00. It does not clean air with a filter. So there is not one to change. There is one
to show you what it is taking out of the air.....1,500 cubic feet of it. Check back for old
posts where members here support and use the said unit. The whole Ion unit is less than many of the filters you are looking for......slp/fmrc

#3 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

try an air filter supply house (phone book under air filtration) , that sells to HVAC peeps, they have them and/or can get them as cheap as anyone

#4 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:31 PM

I'm still looking for a good retailer, but I found some good filters on ebay.

#5 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

Sounds like a real good deal to me. Those are pricey. I have already purchased one on ebay, but really appreciate the offer. What vendor did you use when you bought that filter?

#6 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

Ok, this is still a viable topic. Ebay is great, but unreliable. Individuals are great, but once again, hit and miss. I know I'm not the only cheap ass who has grown accustomed to using a top notch hood. My first filter came from Stamets, but I'm far enough into this that I don't want to pay those inflated prices again. Those considering the economical approach to the freedom of a hood can benifit greatly from a decently priced vendor. I think someone here could help us all out. Who got a fair shake from a reliable vendor of filters? Who could add update worthy input to the source of filters list?

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

an update would be nice
since i hear that filtersRx no longer serves individuals.

#8 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

That is exactly what I found out when I went back to them to order. Furthermore, I twice filled out their request for retailer form and they never got back to me. Thats when I said oh shit what now. I never found a dealer at a decent price, just got lucky on ebay. Guess nobody here has anything to add on that score. So I guess if someone asked me for a reliable dealer of these now, I would send them to fungiperfecti and warn them of the prices. Doesn't anyone use hoods these days.

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:25 PM

I'm in the process of rounding up parts for 1 myself. I found that ebay has great deals on the blowers, but filters are another story. I'll let you guys know if I can score a good link or store on the filters.

#10 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

Look for the seller usedeqsales on ebay. He has several filter types at good prices. If that doesn't work I would go with fungiperfecti. I have spent hours trying great looking sites only to find nothing I could buy from them and ship to me. FiltersRX was the only thing I found. Now they are worthless too.

#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

Perfect! I'll check it out. You're right on the filters! I've been seaching the web like hell and to my dismay, notta.

#12 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

so as you can tell by the title...
i have a
24x24x11-1/2 hepa filter

resistance

efficiency

rating
1100cfm

i have a smaller one i'm using for right now...
but it's kinda crappy...so i'm finally putting
this big boy together....i'm pretty sure i wanna
be using a 1200cfm blower but i wanna make sure
b4 i go ahead and put everything together...lol...

so am i right or.........

pcsillypj

#13 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

you got the good filter thats right

#14 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:48 PM

yeah....i got it brand new
from a fellow topiate for 110
bux brand new...:) some of the
best money i have ever spent
on mycology supplies...hehehe...

#15 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:41 AM

bump*

#16 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:56 AM

A 1200 should work very well for ya.

#17 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

thnx HF..thats all i needed to know..
:D..:bow:

#18 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:42 AM

I think much smaller would be better. The 1100cfm rating on the filter is for use in a large electronics factory to filter the air as part of a huge overhead unit. For flowhood use, you want the speed of the air leaving the filter to be 100 to 150 feet per minute.

Let's figure based on 150 feet per minute. Your filter has 4 square feet of area. So, for you to get an 'airspeed' of 150 feet per minute, you need to pass 150 cubic feet of air through each square foot of surface area. To do that, your blower needs to pass 4 X 150 = 600 CFM. To get 100 feet per minute airspeed, you'd want a 400 cfm blower. If you get a larger blower, make sure it has variable speed. You can also get a motor speed controller. However, I'd recommend a 600 cfm blower.
RR

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:26 PM

PJ, so glad you had this question up here. I've got the same filter though mine is listed resistence 1.38 at 2000 cfm.

Using the formula I had planned on 600cfm like Rodger mentioned. Though what exactly is the difference between my 2000 cfm listing compared to PJ's 1100? Does this make a difference or can I still go with the 600 cfm blower?

#20 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

The 600 should still work fine. Your static pressure will be much less than the 1.38 due to pushing far less air through. The ideal speed for a laminar flow hood which is 100 to 150 linear feet per minute is enough to bend over a cigarette lighter flame, but not blow it out.
RR

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!