• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

I have heard from many people and have been asked which is the best way to prepare the jar lids. IME I have found this method to work very well with very little contamination rate.
You will need
1 nail about 1/8 thick or some other way to pierce the lid
a piece of tyvex
a spagetti sauce jar or any other jar will work fine.
some masking tape
I poke 5 holes as seen in the picture and cover with tyvex.
I then tape the tyvex down in place with masking tape.
When I go to innoculate after I PC the jars I simply poke the needle through the area that has a hole and quickly seal the hole with a piece of masking tape after i remove the needle. You still need to cover the jar lid with foil during pc'ing to ensure that water dont get on the tyvex. I use this method on all my jars including my lc's. With the tyvex itallows the culture to breath in case I forget to do an air exchange .

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 163.jpg
  • Picture 158.jpg
  • Picture 157.jpg
  • Picture 156.jpg

#2 MycoChondria

MycoChondria

Intellectually Immortal

• OG VIP
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

Easy & simple...sweet!

#3 apear

apear

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

Can contams get through tyvek?

#4 lucysd

lucysd

untrustworthy

• Expired Member
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

Can contams get through tyvek?

some say if you use the low quality tyvek from usps envelopes you still risk trich contamn due to its high paper content

other alternatives are as follows
tyvek painters suits there are two grades the all purpose (which some have claimed to have a good success rate) and industrial grade(more expensive)
all in all , some very reliable sources swear by kitemakers tyvek claiming almost no contamn rate when used appropriately in a sterilized environment etc.

#5 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

Very nice :eusa_clap. You think my LC's are so damn wimpy looking because they get 0 FAE? They are still working, but they are pretty pathetic looking, and I did Karo and everything to the T.

#6 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

Very nice :eusa_clap. You think my LC's are so damn wimpy looking because they get 0 FAE? They are still working, but they are pretty pathetic looking, and I did Karo and everything to the T.

Could be, they need air to live and reproduce

#7 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

I thought that leaving a couple of inches of air in the jar was enough. So with airports, you are supposed to use the airport every once in awhile to add air exchange? I am going to do this Tyvek Tek and I bet I will have much better results.. Thanks.

#8 BillyJack

BillyJack

BillyJack

• Expired Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

tyvek comes in rolls about the size of a roll of shit paper from home depot, it's window and door flashing for new construction, one 8$ roll will supply you basically forever

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

why 5 holes ?

#10 kagejubei

kagejubei

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

I see someone is using the free tyvek that is compliments of Fahtsters Info. Nice One. Why masking Tape? I wouldnt think masking tape is manufatured in a perfectly sterile process. Why not mYcro pore tape,at least that what i would use. I notice that the tyvek from the source fahtster bestowed us with the knowlage of. Compared to regular tyvek its diffrent in that it doesnt seem to be as breathable. I think so at least

#11 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

why 5 holes ?

I cover one with tape that still leaves 4 holes to breath. I was using 4
but when I taped the 4th hole it seemed like it got slower.
The reason I dont use micro tape is the price and availability.Everyone has masking tape.
The tape gets sterile once you pc it for 90 mins.

#12 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

i want to grab some of these--
http://www.fillmorec...7LLVQVBWRTJ27C2
Posted Image

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,138 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

I thought that leaving a couple of inches of air in the jar was enough. So with airports, you are supposed to use the airport every once in awhile to add air exchange? I am going to do this Tyvek Tek and I bet I will have much better results.. Thanks.

I hope I caught you in time to save you some grief.
The tyvek works very well for FAE for a time but.......

Just as my LC's were approaching full colonization, they contaminated. In each case I found the contaminant lurking on the tyvek filter disc.

Points to ponder:
I was using the cheap, papery variety of tyvek used in postal envelopes.
Nutritious solution could have sloshed onto the disks during examination or while on the magnetic stirrer (but I doubt it).

In the future, I'll be sticking with the airport tek.
Just insert a clean syringe/ needle combo through one of the injector ports and draw it back. This will draw air through the airport syringe and help with FAE.

I will definately NOT be using tyvek for LC's again!

#14 lucysd

lucysd

untrustworthy

• Expired Member
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

I see someone is using the free tyvek that is compliments of Fahtsters Info. Nice One. Why masking Tape? I wouldnt think masking tape is manufatured in a perfectly sterile process. Why not mYcro pore tape,at least that what i would use. I notice that the tyvek from the source fahtster bestowed us with the knowlage of. Compared to regular tyvek its diffrent in that it doesnt seem to be as breathable. I think so at least

what is this source fahtster bestowed upon us? the dupont tyvek where? its gotta be better than post office shit i hope

#15 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:15 PM

i think it was www.goflyakite.com :lol: and hip posted it a while back :) some kite supply stores sell it

#16 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

I was actually thinking about this just a couple of hours ago. I am going to go with the airport tek. As long as you wipe the needles it is failproof. A member here sent me an airport syringe and a 30 cc syringe with a needle. :hugs:. Cool ass peeps here. I will just do a FAE every 2 or 3 days and I bet it will make a big difference in my LC. The 2 I just made, I have only tested 1, but it works great, just not as much growth as I would like. I am also going to make a magnetic stirrer. These 2 LC that I have right now I think are going to last me quite awhile. I only used a small fraction of one of them. Thanks for your input. I didn't think that LC needed FAE.

I hope I caught you in time to save you some grief.
The tyvek works very well for FAE for a time but.......

Just as my LC's were approaching full colonization, they contaminated. In each case I found the contaminant lurking on the tyvek filter disc.

Points to ponder:
I was using the cheap, papery variety of tyvek used in postal envelopes.
Nutritious solution could have sloshed onto the disks during examination or while on the magnetic stirrer (but I doubt it).

In the future, I'll be sticking with the airport tek.
Just insert a clean syringe/ needle combo through one of the injector ports and draw it back. This will draw air through the airport syringe and help with FAE.

I will definately NOT be using tyvek for LC's again!

#17 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:55 AM

I didn't think that LC needed FAE.

technically, u dont. just leave some air in the jars and put the lids on the jars with the rubber grip side UP if pressure cooking. if u can afford/have the patience and can do it correctly as hip describes its prolly the best way. i bet one could even design/figure a way to do a sterile-air bubbler lc jug too :rasta: i prefer to just keep to the basics but again if u have the means go for it man :) check ya later peeps

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

http://mycotopia.net...ort-action.html

#19 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

hippie posted this site
intothewind.com

what is this source fahtster bestowed upon us? the dupont tyvek where? its gotta be better than post office shit i hope

#20 lucysd

lucysd

untrustworthy

• Expired Member
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

i know about that , ithought it was a way of getting higher quality tyvek for free like at the post office or somewhere else ha

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!