39 replies to this topic

#21 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

here's how to do a buttload fast.... and without getting shit everywhere....

I pick all my mushrooms and put them into a glad 8x8 pan. I get a trashcan next to me and another 8x8 pan. I quickly move them to the other pan, breaking off the big clumpy ends (into trash), shrooms into other pan. Doesn't matter if they are clean, you are only making sure the big clumps of dirt are gone. Now take this other pan, run it under the bath water or sink water, swirl in pan, pour out, using hand to help keep them in. Repeat once or twice if needed....
The rinsing won't harm your shrooms, and CLEANS them off like a washed fruit.

Next I have one of those nylon bags used for laundry, a small one, about a 1ftx1ft, and i put them all in there, zip up the bag, and use a chip clip to clip onto my fan of choice.

hope that helps....

#22 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

The rinsing won't harm your shrooms, and CLEANS them off like a washed fruit.

no it won't hurt the shrooms, but it has been my experience that washing alone does not do any better than simply brushing the verm off with a finger....often times with washing you need to brush with a finger while they wash........but mainly i do not like it becasue it has a tendency to turn your shrooms deep blue all over......and sometimes makes them soggy.......

like i said, i just cut the bottoms and most of the casing material goes away, the rest just brushes off.......professional baby.......:)

#23 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

haven't had those problems.... perhaps you let them soak too long? i just rinse..... perhaps if you spray them too hard they blue?

this is a great way for doing bulk as you don't have to touch each little shroom.

#24 SporeWizard

SporeWizard

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

If you have bulk what I suggest is cutting off the bottoms of each shroom that you cant get Stuff off of and making Tea out of the nub bottoms, that's if you have a suffecient about of Nubs to make Tea with, and when you filter out the Shrooms/casing material all you would need is a over sized coffee filter and that my friend is how you maximize your yeild and minimize any loss.

I Do it all the time with big crops :)

#25 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

Coarse verm is easier to clean off then fine verm, too... Just keep that in mind.

#26 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

If you have bulk what I suggest is cutting off the bottoms of each shroom that you cant get Stuff off of and making Tea out of the nub bottoms, that's if you have a suffecient about of Nubs to make Tea with, and when you filter out the Shrooms/casing material all you would need is a over sized coffee filter and that my friend is how you maximize your yeild and minimize any loss.

Good Advice SporeWizard...
This is the most efficient way to clean bulk without wasting ;)

#27 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:46 AM

I always just pulled the casing material off at picking time. Some will be left on the base but its not very much at all...if any.

Cutting them can be a significant loss with some strains that grow deep.

#28 dudicus

dudicus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:49 AM

no it won't hurt the shrooms, but it has been my experience that washing alone does not do any better than simply brushing the verm off with a finger....often times with washing you need to brush with a finger while they wash........but mainly i do not like it becasue it has a tendency to turn your shrooms deep blue all over......and sometimes makes them soggy.......

like i said, i just cut the bottoms and most of the casing material goes away, the rest just brushes off.......professional baby.......:)

I thought the blue wasn't necessarily bad is this wrong? Or do you just not like the way they look?

#29 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:54 AM

Blue is not bad at all. Some people like the bluing so they know off the bat that the shroom is active.

#30 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:52 AM

I shake the dry fruits on a screen for a bit.

Gets them clean enough.

#31 Ali

Ali

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:56 AM

Good Advice SporeWizard...
This is the most efficient way to clean bulk without wasting ;)

Genius... the stumps will become chocolates!

Thanks all.

#32 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

After you have eaten fresh fruit straight from the cow patty a little straw, verm, or any other casing material seems mighty clean! :D MMMM MMM got to love the fresh ones from the fields.

#33 Ali

Ali

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:59 AM

Blue is not bad at all. Some people like the bluing so they know off the bat that the shroom is active.

Sometimes though they will start to look black if they get too blue and Billy's friends are afraid of black looking mushrooms... Racists. LOL

Heavy spoes dropped on caps also make them look black and Billy's friends are afraid they are rotten. Same with heavy spores on the stems... Black = bad to most minds when mushies are involved.

Picky fuckers.

#34 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

"Picky fuckers."
I'll say LOL; my 2c would be to just never use verm. shit and straw rinses off in the sink real easy like you would wash any other veggie before consumption.

#35 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

I always just pulled the casing material off at picking time. Some will be left on the base but its not very much at all...if any.

Cutting them can be a significant loss with some strains that grow deep.

Yeah I agree. If you put the dry fungus in a clear freezer bag, just shake it. Almost all of the casing material comes right off. Easy as pie. Heck! Usually it'll just come off with just handling the bag. I had about 3"s of casing material in the bottom of my bag the last batch I had. Prolly enough to make 1/4 of a coir brick. LOL! :D

#36 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:30 PM

I just trim them with a knife and running cold water
basicaly I just wash and clean them like an edible from the store
I have never noticed lower potency

#37 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:49 PM

I like the freezer bag idea, even though I have washed my in an aluminun strainer as best as possible when a big batch comes along. However, I've recently discovered that you needn't waste a morel if ya grind em up and make choclates. That way they taste great, and you get all of those trace elements ya might have missed. Or maybe those were tracer elements. Anyway, shit don't taste bad when it's candy coated.

#38 Ali

Ali

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:02 PM

I just trim them with a knife and running cold water
basicaly I just wash and clean them like an edible from the store
I have never noticed lower potency

Your avatar is scaring my cat.

#39 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

Lazlo's shroom cleaning tek. LMAO! Just kiddin!

pic1- Put dry shrooms in freezer bag and shake.

pic2- Results :rolleyes:

Attached Thumbnails

• cleaning2.jpg
  • cleaning1.jpg

#40 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:11 PM

i like to rinse off fresh ones
to remove bacteria
before drying.
kinda like any other fresh fruit/vegetable.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!