• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Digi7ech

Digi7ech

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:43 AM

Just thought I'd post up some pics of a real easy dryer.

Made out of a Gladware container and a computer fan(which is connected to PC still :D )

Here is the lid
Posted Image
My foaf cut out a small square like hole to accept the computer fan

Not sure of what size the fan is. It should be standard size.

My foaf also used a metal paper clip heated to burn 2 small holes. The hole will have a piece of thick rubber band put in them as a way to secure the fan down.

Side view of the bin.
Posted Image
My foaf just melted multiple slits in the side to let air pass through.

Final product
Posted Image
It's stuck on range due to it being connected to the computer but it is very cheap and easy.

The fan had a small piece of foam put over the top with tape to act as a small filter.
The fan is faced to blow into the chamber. It then vents through the holes made.

My Foaf has tried dessicants and this has blown it out of the water in time length to dry.

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:08 AM

You can score those fans that are 120V also at Radio Slack for under $20. All ya gotta do is splice in an old 6' extension cord to run it. Good idea man! Cool!

#3 mycolord

mycolord

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:37 AM

what is the filter for? to protect the fan from too much gunk getting in it? at this point the mushrooms dont need clean air.
cool little setup, i like the fact that its still attatched to your computer. nice and lazy :)

#4 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 07:21 AM

You wouldn't happen to be McGyver, would ya!? LOL...nice little set up you got there.
:p

#5 Digi7ech

Digi7ech

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

The filter is just to help clean the air a bit.
I know it doesn't do much but it will help prevent big things from falling in.

#6 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:46 PM

You still need to use dessicant before packaging to make sure the fruits are crispy dry. One should only use dessicant after getting as dry as possible with either a fan or open air.
RR

#7 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,781 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

You still need to use dessicant before packaging to make sure the fruits are crispy dry. One should only use dessicant after getting as dry as possible with either a fan or open air.
RR

especially in these next coming months eh... summer sux for mushie growing, not looking forward to it.. they only get as dry as the rh in the room they are drying in. :) time to get the AC's and the Dehumidifiers out. hehe

fahtster

#8 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,781 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

oh yeah, hows it giong rodger? nice to 'see' you're still helping out these fine people. :) !

fahtster

#9 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,781 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:54 PM

hey digi... if you ever have to dry a bunch of mushies just get a laundry basket and a box fan... http://mycotopia.net...html?1072655415 works great. :)

fahtster

#10 Digi7ech

Digi7ech

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

hey digi... if you ever have to dry a bunch of mushies just get a laundry basket and a box fan... http://mycotopia.net...html?1072655415 works great. :)

fahtster

Wow! Yeah I doubt my friend will ever go that big. They're doing it more for the fun of growing than mass production.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!