Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Ever try meal worm castings or rye flour?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 americanchad

americanchad

Got mushpit?

• Validating
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

Meal worms are fed raw veggies and live in a substrate of Quaker's Oats. The culture is kept bone dry, no mold. Unlike my red wigglers who like it moist and mold is often present. So, has anyone had experiance using meal worm castings in bulk substrate. After sifting, I have over 10 pounds.

I can get my hands on rye flour for 40 cents a pound. Has anyone tried making cakes out of this in the place of brf?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00038.JPG
  • DSC00036.JPG
  • DSC00040.JPG

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

no idea on meal worm castings
but
rye does best whole, not in cakes.

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Don't believe we have a Tek for that one..Heh...Do tell how that goes for ya....

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,259 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

I've used dark rye flour as a subsitute for BRF and it works.........kinda.
I noticed DRF jars were slower to colonize and more susceptible to contamination than BRF jars.
The mix also becomes dense and doughy so adjustments to the recipe had to be made.

Overall, I don't recommend it.

#5 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

i have used rye flour too. it worked but not well imo.

#6 americanchad

americanchad

Got mushpit?

• Validating
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

I've got a batch cooling in the PC. I used the same ratio as the PFtek, but replaced brf for rye flour.

I've used dark rye flour as a subsitute for BRF and it works.........kinda.
I noticed DRF jars were slower to colonize and more susceptible to contamination than BRF jars.
The mix also becomes dense and doughy so adjustments to the recipe had to be made.

Overall, I don't recommend it.

thks Myc

I found the mix very sticky and hard to get in the jar without making a mess. We will see how it goes. When it cools the next load will be wbs (spawn for the meal worm castings). I'm hooked on Lazlo's tek. I've got some steeping in hot lye water as we speak. The shaking thing has never worked out for me though.

I hope the meal worm castings work out.

:eusa_pray
AC

#7 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

i guess im too late but don't waste your time with rye flour. its very gooey and becomes more of a headache than anything. brown rice flour, if you have whole foods around they have it. otherwise. wild bird seed is your best bet. or actually you know whats really easy and readily available...

POPCORN!

check it out in the archives. there are hundreds of teks. easiest way is to boil it for 45-1 hour and then strain it out. pc it for an hour. shake, then shake again in the morning after it cools. walla, inject. very simple and easy. in fact, foaf has had 100% success everytime with it.

and that is the only grain foaf can say that about!

#8 americanchad

americanchad

Got mushpit?

• Validating
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Should have listened to hip and saved myself the trouble. Hell, it won't be the first time trying something new leads to failure. The consensus is thumbs down to rye flour.

Still can't wait to see how the meal worm castings go. My first batch of wbs was a disaster. My fault though, the gasket on my pc crapped out and I couldn't wait to get a new one. pc was loosing too much steam and not building up enough pressure. My baby is better now, but still not big enough. I guess it never is. In this hobby size counts. LOL

Eatyualive - Thanks for the response, popcorn will be next. I love your work. You are an inspiration to the less experience, a reference point of what could be. You have some of the nicest flushes. Tubs rule! foaf have been experimenting with a green house, but have seen a rise in contamination. Good thing raw material is cheap, time is another story. :pirate:

Peace,
AC

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!