• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

How about alternating layers of substrate with layers of verm? Perhaps providing a semi-hollow core? I've never done stones, so I'm just totally spitballing...

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:15 AM

thanks for pointing out the obvious which I couldn't see :pirate:

that's my speciality.
:bow:

#43 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

is this a contamination? weird thing is, it started from the bottom... the top of the jar has no bluish green colors...

Posted Image

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

looks like stones to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• mexa0gh.jpg

#45 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

my other jars of stones dont have greenish stones... just brown ones... that's why i was asking

#46 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

I thought the mexican A mycelium changed many different colors as it aged.

Look like stones to me too.

#47 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

i discounted the colors as bruising from compaction invitro

#48 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:08 PM

i discounted the colors as bruising from compaction invitro

Thats what I was thinking. I had heavily compacted atlantis but it did not blue. When I broke a stone it did though. Were the jars shaken at all, i.e. the sudden impact may blue

#49 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

Last year I grew out a Mex A culture, although it took four or so months to see considerable growth.

Anyway, a few nights before Christmas I swirled around the culture before leaving town, and guess what? The culture that took so long to show true signs of growth contamed into green and black blobs.

Needless to say, that culture got dumped, and 2-3 weeks ago I started another culture from the same syringe, however, I am experiencing the same slow growth pace.

I wonder if this super slow growth can be attributed to the spores themselves, or if somebody out ther knows if this trait is indendious to Mex A.

And even though I know that seeing swirls in the water doesn't necessarrily represent the potency of the culture, I feel the need to ask. Is a few weeks enough for the Mex A to grow out enough for grain innoculation, as I have some cooling now, and I would certiantly like to give it a try?

If not I'll use some other spores, although I'd sure like to give the Mex's a head start. Please advise.

#50 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

proly contam'd syringe,
there were a few floating around recently

#51 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

You are far better off cloning sclerotia than starting a MS each time. You can then make a LC and leave the grains a bit dry on purpose for rapid colonisation by adding lots of LC.

Most reports/logs are showing that altantis is the fastest sclerotia producer

#52 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

As far as I could tell orginally, the syringe was fine. And rather unfortunately, I have never gotten a chance to clone, because last year's jars never grew out.

I got the syringe from the spore works, so I have no reason to believe the spores were either contamed, or necessarily dormant. Last years culture did grow out, except it got contamed towards the end.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. Does anyone know how early I can use a liquid Mex A culture, even if there is no outward signs of growth?

#53 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

The whole point of a liquid culture is to innoculate your jars with a large amount of living mycelium.

If you don't see growth, it probably isn't going to work. My FOAF lets his LCs get cloudy to the point of almost becoming a little viscous before using them.

What is the LC recipe/TEK you are using? What temperature did you use to incubate? What kind of air filter are you using on your LC jar?

#54 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

The usual 1tsp Karo per 100 cc distilled water. Pc for 15-20 minutes, glove box the lot and innoculate with polyfill lids.

#55 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

The mixture sounds good. Lots of folks belive that PCing LCs is overkill and leads to carmelization. Freakachino and Hippie3 both swear by the microwave TEK. Were your jars cloudy after cooking?

What were your incubation temperatures?

You know that you can't let the polyfill get even slightly moist inside the jar, right?

#56 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm hip to the poly fill contam problam, and yeah, you're probally right about no growth no culture. I just thought that maybe Mex A somehow differed, or maybe I was just holding out hope.

#57 bassplar99

bassplar99

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

The mixture sounds good. Lots of folks belive that PCing LCs is overkill and leads to carmelization. Freakachino and Hippie3 both swear by the microwave TEK. Were your jars cloudy after cooking?

I agree 110%, PCing is not my preferred method for liquid cultures, tried both and you see a definate change in color (caremlization) when PCing a liquid culture. Microwave is the best. As for the polyfill, I opted to drill a small hole in a plastic Ball jar lid and cover it with high quality breathable surgical tape by 3M. The steam being release from the jar is enough to moisten the polyfil beyond what is acceptable. Be sure to fold one end of the tape over on itself so you can peel it up becuse the heat from microwving will make the glue on the tape hold extra strong. In addition, you can easily innoculate from this same hole. Never had a jar contam on me using the microwave method.

#58 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

My FOAF doesn't use any kind of air exchange at all with LCs, though he does use a PC. No polyfill, no tyvek, just two small holes drilled in the lid and then sealed with a big, fat blob of silicone sealant (top and bottom). As long as you don't fill the container more than 2/3 full, you'll have PLENTY of oxygen inside, as long as you shake the crap out of it after innoculation and get that O2 back into the water.

Remember to use an airport syringe to kill the vacuum in a sealed jar before inserting your syringe. A 1/2 pint can generate enough vacuum pressure to suck a whole 10mL syring dry in a few seconds.

Don't stress yourself over this attempt. Learn from your mistakes and try to improve on your process. Spores are cheap, especially once you master the LCs and can convert .5mL of spore water into, literally, gallons of LC. And once you grow even on mushie...you'll never have to buy spores again. You can get all the strains you ever wanted by trading with the wonderful people on this board.

#59 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

Indeed, liquid cultures rock. I've grown a number of great cultures, but this Mex A seems so slow to grow out.

In the beginning, before acquiring an All American Pc, I tried the microwave method with mixed results. I got one good culture, but another time I shot up six qts that all contamed.

#60 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:26 AM

Last fall, a kind member sent me a syringe of mexicana A strain.
I was excited to begin this grow, but at the time all I had to use was my usual favourite sub, popcorn.
RR said he'd never seen much sclerotia grow on popcorn. He was right.
A few days later, I found some grass seed in my shed. It was not "rye" grass seed. At least the bag it came in made no mention of it being rye.
I decided to give it a shot anyway.In quart jars, I measured out:
1 1/4 cup grass seed
a pinch of gypsum
A solid lid was screwed on and the contents shaken to mix the gypsum in well
5/8 cup of water was then added, solid lid , and once again shaken
Now the vented lid and filter was added, wrapped with foil and PCed 90 minutes.
After the PC, the jars were removed while still hot and shaken to loosen up the grain, then innoculated when cool.
I had already started some jars on popcorn, so the comparison was interesting.
Both sets colonized quickly and began to form sclerotia only days after 100% colonization.
I let them sit 90 days before opening. That's the beauty of growing "stones".
Set and forget! No spawning , no casing, just harvesting!
Well, the lesson learned here is never use popcorn for sclerotia!
Sure it made some stones, but there were fewer and smaller stones than the grass seed. They also lacked the deep brown colour and shine of the grass seed jars.
Also, when I make up popcorn jars, I cover the bottoms of the jars with vermiculite to absorb any excess water on the corn.
I didn't know that the sclerotia would mostly form at the bottom of the jars.
This resulted in the stones being well and truely coated with verm, a real pain to remove. :(
So here are some pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2982.JPG
  • IMG_2938.JPG
  • IMG_2936.JPG
  • IMG_2652.JPG
  • IMG_2655.JPG
  • IMG_2519.JPG
  • IMG_2520.JPG
  • IMG_2511.JPG
  • IMG_2444.JPG
  • IMG_2092.JPG