LB and strawlog grow ["Dry Bubble" & 'Wet Bubble" pix]
Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:22 AM
The first picture shows my setup, which is basically a utility shelf with the two baskets on top and two logs on the bottom. I have an ionizer blowing in fresh air from the bottom of the picture as indicated, and a simple 15w grow light overhead.
I have two laundry baskets atm, the first was made with two quarts PF clone grown on wbs, that was spawned to worm castings via superspawn (http://archives.myco...es/5/64315.html) then spawned to straw in the laundry basket. This basket was made on 5-7.
The other basket I have was done with 2 quart jars of ecuador multispore that was also spawned to castings using the superspawn tek before transferring it to a LB. This was done on 5-15.
I also have two straw logs I made with another couple batches of ecuador superspawn. I deviated from the original straw log tek by using some huge XXL ziplocks I found at the store. I filled them with the desired amount of straw, and then rolled up the bag and taped it tightly in place. The one in the picture below is about 3 feet long, and the other is only a foot and a half or so. They are still colonizing and I'll post more about them when the excitement picks up.
My main question is about the first pin on my PF LB. If you notice in the picture, it has stopped growing and turned a dark grayish color. I hope the young mushy isnt contaminated and maybe is just an abort. Should I go ahead and pick the little sucker to keep it from rotting?
I'd appreciate any tips or questions you guys have about my grow, as always i enjoy hearing from you.
Pics are described in order here: Setup pic, PF first pin pic, PF pinset, then a pic of the first pin looking grayish 8 days later, and a pic of my funky log.
Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:53 AM
Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:36 AM
Yes, sorry, that picture was taken before I made them, but there are many holes punctured 2-3 inches apart in the log.
Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:22 AM
might just be discolored mycellia i suppose.
peroxide will melt cobweb away
Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:41 PM
Well, in an attempt to revive the dried LB I began "operation hydrate LB" and cut a small hole in a few places on the top of the basket and filled them all generously a few times over 10 minutes or so, and then poured out the water that drained from the bottom. I'm going to continue watering until I see healthy new pins. Hopefully this basket will be healthy and ready to start fruiting again soon.
Well, on the brighter side, once I checked my first log I saw it had started pinning/fruiting. However There is a small part of the log that is uncolonized. I think maybe this section could have dried out since it is near the wall and probably feeling a bit of the breeze from the air purifier. I watered this spot to moisten the straw and hopefully encourage the mycelium to expand to this portion. Otherwise I think the log looks good. I'm trying to figure out how I can keep my logs well hydrated. Right now I have it covered with a small piece of vinyl. I've considered draping vinyl over the top shelf (under the LBs), and placing a humidifier on a timer inside to make a kind of make-shift green house on the bottom part for the logs. If anybody has any suggestions on keeping these logs hydrated I would really appreciate it. thanks guys.
PICS in order: Dried out LB, pinning log, pinning log with vinyl laid over it
Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:13 AM
as far as logs go, I keep mine in a greenhouse with a coolmist running fulltime and a ultrasonic on a timer, keeping the rh at 85-90
Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:12 PM
I have also covered both my LBs lightly with a garbage bag to help induce pinning and keep them from drying out.
Here are a couple pics of the setup:
Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:01 PM
There is a lot of white fuzz on my first laundry basket so I've included two detailed pics of the casing. The dark heads you see are the old pins, they seem to be covered with new white fuzz also. I think the mycelium is much happier now that its properly covered, rewatered and allowed to gather some moisture from the air.
I like how this mutant on the log seems to have bursts from its dry outer layer now that its getting the proper amount of humidity, I'll pick that guy soon.
Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:11 PM
Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:47 PM
Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:55 AM
that's pretty wild,
never saw anything like that b4
I have also had this happen to me,
very odd when the stem shreds itself away.
verticiliurn malthousei, aka, "Dry Bubble",
is a bacteria contaminate that causes young mushrooms to tear peel,
and sometimes tilt.
Mycogone perniciosa, "Wet Bubble" carries the same symptoms as above,
with the addition of an amber fluid that oozes from the mushroom upon cutting.
Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:03 AM