• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:22 AM

Alright, well I've found myself with a couple questions so I figured I'd go ahead and start my grow log to see if I can get some feedback from you guys.

The first picture shows my setup, which is basically a utility shelf with the two baskets on top and two logs on the bottom. I have an ionizer blowing in fresh air from the bottom of the picture as indicated, and a simple 15w grow light overhead.

I have two laundry baskets atm, the first was made with two quarts PF clone grown on wbs, that was spawned to worm castings via superspawn (http://archives.myco...es/5/64315.html) then spawned to straw in the laundry basket. This basket was made on 5-7.

The other basket I have was done with 2 quart jars of ecuador multispore that was also spawned to castings using the superspawn tek before transferring it to a LB. This was done on 5-15.

I also have two straw logs I made with another couple batches of ecuador superspawn. I deviated from the original straw log tek by using some huge XXL ziplocks I found at the store. I filled them with the desired amount of straw, and then rolled up the bag and taped it tightly in place. The one in the picture below is about 3 feet long, and the other is only a foot and a half or so. They are still colonizing and I'll post more about them when the excitement picks up.

My main question is about the first pin on my PF LB. If you notice in the picture, it has stopped growing and turned a dark grayish color. I hope the young mushy isnt contaminated and maybe is just an abort. Should I go ahead and pick the little sucker to keep it from rotting?

I'd appreciate any tips or questions you guys have about my grow, as always i enjoy hearing from you.

Pics are described in order here: Setup pic, PF first pin pic, PF pinset, then a pic of the first pin looking grayish 8 days later, and a pic of my funky log.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5-26pin.jpg
  • castingslog.jpg
  • 5-19FirstPins.JPG
  • 5-19FirstPin.JPG
  • setup.JPG

#2 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:53 AM

It looks like an abort, but it's right next to a growing pin, so I'd leave it. That pin should be ready to pick in a couple of days, so I doubt the abort could rot by then anyway. Picking aborts is far more important on slower growing substrates than on straw. The middle picture looks like the start of cobweb. I see lots of grey. Perhaps it's just the lighting.
RR

#3 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:01 AM

Do you have holes in that straw log?

#4 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

Yes I believe it is the lighting, not cobweb. Its difficult to take pictures through the little hole in the bag. The grey areas shown are not spreading like wildfire and have been there for a while, there are even some nice pinsets sprouting in those areas. Am I correct in assuming that if it was cobweb mold it would envelope the casing in only a couple days?

Yes, sorry, that picture was taken before I made them, but there are many holes punctured 2-3 inches apart in the log.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:22 AM

cobweb does spread fast,
might just be discolored mycellia i suppose.
peroxide will melt cobweb away

#6 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:41 PM

Alright, well I removed the plastic bag to check on my first LB today to find that it has become exremely dried out. I had stopped misting once I saw pins but I'm afraid I was not giving the fungus water when it needed it the most and it dried out. The two tiny mushrooms you can see in my earlier pics were completely cracker dry when I picked them! I have a Ionic Purifier blowing only couple feet away from the baskets (not directly, its aimed at the wall) inside the closet, so I think the breeze dried it up pretty quick. Does anybody have a suggestion of how I could prevent them from dryinig out so quickly? Should I put the purifier on a timer so its not blowing 247?

Well, in an attempt to revive the dried LB I began "operation hydrate LB" and cut a small hole in a few places on the top of the basket and filled them all generously a few times over 10 minutes or so, and then poured out the water that drained from the bottom. I'm going to continue watering until I see healthy new pins. Hopefully this basket will be healthy and ready to start fruiting again soon.

Well, on the brighter side, once I checked my first log I saw it had started pinning/fruiting. However There is a small part of the log that is uncolonized. I think maybe this section could have dried out since it is near the wall and probably feeling a bit of the breeze from the air purifier. I watered this spot to moisten the straw and hopefully encourage the mycelium to expand to this portion. Otherwise I think the log looks good. I'm trying to figure out how I can keep my logs well hydrated. Right now I have it covered with a small piece of vinyl. I've considered draping vinyl over the top shelf (under the LBs), and placing a humidifier on a timer inside to make a kind of make-shift green house on the bottom part for the logs. If anybody has any suggestions on keeping these logs hydrated I would really appreciate it. thanks guys.

PICS in order: Dried out LB, pinning log, pinning log with vinyl laid over it

Attached Thumbnails

• log1_5-30_2.JPG
  • log1_5-30.JPG
  • LB1_5-30.JPG

#7 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:13 AM

I hope your basket pics up this time for ya.
as far as logs go, I keep mine in a greenhouse with a coolmist running fulltime and a ultrasonic on a timer, keeping the rh at 85-90

#8 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

Well I did some work today and was able to improve my setup. I created a greenhouse on my bottom shelf and added an ultrasonic unit on a timer. I know having the ultrasonic on the floor is a no-no since there are many contams within a foot of the floor. For this reason I've now placed a piece of vinyl on the floor under the ultrasonic so that I can whipe it clean with alchohol everyday.

I have also covered both my LBs lightly with a garbage bag to help induce pinning and keep them from drying out.

Here are a couple pics of the setup:

Attached Thumbnails

• setup2.JPG
  • setup1.JPG

#9 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

The conditions of my LBs and Logs have gotten much better since I improved my setup. Check out my new pics.

There is a lot of white fuzz on my first laundry basket so I've included two detailed pics of the casing. The dark heads you see are the old pins, they seem to be covered with new white fuzz also. I think the mycelium is much happier now that its properly covered, rewatered and allowed to gather some moisture from the air.

I like how this mutant on the log seems to have bursts from its dry outer layer now that its getting the proper amount of humidity, I'll pick that guy soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• log1_mutant2.JPG
  • log1_mutant1.JPG
  • log1_6-1.JPG
  • LB1_6-1_2.JPG
  • 6-1LB1-1.JPG

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, I can see how the mushroom is really loving the new added moisture. That's a neat pic. Everything should start to pan out now that you've got a humidifier running. I'm not even so sure i'd cover the baskets with plastic if the RH is maintained pretty high in the green house. I'd push for 85-90% rh like the Reverand. Lookin good.

#11 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

The LBs arent in the greenhouse but actually on top of it, thats why I placed them inside the plastic bags.

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:03 AM

http://mycotopia.net...tachmentid=7781

that's pretty wild,
never saw anything like that b4

#13 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

http://mycotopia.net...tachmentid=7781

that's pretty wild,
never saw anything like that b4

I have also had this happen to me,
very odd when the stem shreds itself away.

verticiliurn malthousei, aka, "Dry Bubble",
is a bacteria contaminate that causes young mushrooms to tear peel,
and sometimes tilt.

Mycogone perniciosa, "Wet Bubble" carries the same symptoms as above,
with the addition of an amber fluid that oozes from the mushroom upon cutting.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

mycogone perniciosa, "Wet Bubble"

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080501.JPG

#15 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:03 AM