• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

So, I went to spawn my very first bag of p. azurescens this morning. When I opened the bag up, I was greeted with tiny little azures growing directly off the popcorn, and some of them even growing off the bag itself. I sadly don't have any pics as my gf is out of town with the camera atm. :(

Has anyone seen this before? I just wonder because everyone says it's so hard to fruit them, especially indoors. This bag sat in the exact same conditions as several other cubensis bags which haven't even fully colonized yet, let alone started throwing fruits. And it definitely didn't get anywhere near 50F in there.

I went ahead and spawned the bag by quartering the block and spawning to alder chips/coir. I'll get some pics of the tiny little fruits and everything later tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

#2 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

If this thread follows the normal pattern for surprise invitro azurescens, they will ultimately prove to be misidentified cubensis.

Any yellowish coloration on the stem is a reliable feature for cubensis pins. Azures stems are purely white.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

gotta see the pix...
:eusa_whis

#4 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

If this thread follows the normal pattern for surprise invitro azurescens, they will ultimately prove to be misidentified cubensis.

Any yellowish coloration on the stem is a reliable feature for cubensis pins. Azures stems are purely white.

Well, it is kind of funny that you say that, because the spores are from sporeworks...

And I know it sucks they're aren't any pics...I wouldn't believe it either. I do have the fruits drying though, and I will get pics asap.

The stems look pretty white to me. The cap also appears lighter in color than starting cubensis pins, although I have seen cubes that lighten up a little bit when fruiting invitro.

#5 scientia

scientia

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

Here they are. The stems do appear somewhat yellowish now that they are dry.

Here is the plate they were started from. I transfered a section from the plate to an lc.

CIMG1020.JPG

They probably are cubensis, I just don't see how the lc could have gotten contaminated (with cubensis anyways).

Cubes won't grow on wood chips will they? I think that will clear things up, one way or the other.

Attached Thumbnails

• CIMG1022.JPG
  • CIMG1021.JPG

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

cubies will grow on almost anything mildly nutritious

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

Cubes will fruit off wood chips if they use the grain spawn as a nutrient source..
They fruit very poorly without that support..
I can't really tell what you have there, but i'm betting they're Cubeees..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!