• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:33 AM

So I am finishing up steaming 3 more jars, which will be a total of 6.

First, I added BRF and vermiculite to the half pints, then added a layer of dry vermiculite on top of that. I covered with tin foil (no tape) and steamed for 45 minutes. Jars will be allowed to sit overnight to cool and tomorrow I will innoculate.

Innoculation: I wil shake syringe to distribute spore solution evenly, then remove the foil and dispence .25cc per hole (4 holes), trying to allow the spore solution to drain to the bottom of the jar on at least one hole. I will also wipe needle using cotton swab with 91% iso in between holes.

How does this sound?
I have 3mm micropore tape, but do I need it?
How long should I leave the foil on?

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

#2 Santiago

Santiago

Shepherd

• Expired Member
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:41 AM

i think foil comes off as soon as you get them out of pc, b/c water is almost certainly going to get down in there, and it needs to be dry down there. i like to take my syringes inside the glovebox and then use my right hand and medium-hard tap my left index finger with it. gives it a bit of a jolt and the spores seem to break up a lot better for me.

good luck and good vibes
santiago

#3 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

I'm getting ready to knock em up.:headbang: I don't have a glove box and will be innoculating inside of the incubator (I am using a tit).

I took the foil off last night and they have been sitting overnight in the incubator. I went ahead and left the incubator on last night to gadge what temperature it would hold since all my fish heater has is low to high rating (no temp setting) and it was only 70 degrees in there this morning. I just cranked it up cuz it waz on low.

I have a few questions before I innoculate.

Is it safe to innculate in the Tit? ( I used bleach water to clean the tit last night and bleached the surrounding area which is a closet with no carpet)

If the temparture is say 75 degrees until I get home, will that be a problem?

How long after I adjust the fish heater does it typically take until the water will get heated to that setting?

Thank you all again.:bow:

PS, I'll post pics soon

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Is it safe to innculate in the TiT ? ( I used bleach water to clean the TiT last night and bleached the surrounding area which is a closet with no carpet)

yep

If the temparture is say 75 degrees until I get home, will that be a problem?

nope, 75 is acceptable.

How long after I adjust the fish heater does it typically take until the water will get heated to that setting?

that's a function of heater wattage and water volume
but at least several hours.
btw
don't push it past 80*F,
it's hotter inside the jars
as glass traps infrared [heat].

#5 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Hippie, just knocked em up. :headbang::loveeyes::eusa_clap Been waiting to do the for a while now. Hope everything goes well.

Now its time to wait.

#6 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Steeq I remember the feeling!!! This is when the fun starts. A few days and you will see your first signs of life. Good luck on your first grow. Sending boomer vibes your way.

#7 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

I was wondering, you are steaming, not PC'ing?

#8 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

I was wondering, you are steaming, not PC'ing?

Thanks for good vibes, I need em all and yes I just steamed which is supposed to be ok with PF tek

#9 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,509 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

Yeah I steam as well as using the pc sometimes, only thing is I steam for 90 mins at least. So hope your 45 was enough.

#10 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

I would have recommend a PC. I got a tiny one 6 qt I think and I do only 3 pints at a time. Sucks and takes a while, but no contams yet, except what hit my FC the other day. 30 bucks goes a long way.

Just some advice... But I wish you the best.

#11 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

yeah, i'm gonna buy me a pc. I only did 6 jars and got 18 left so if these don't work :eusa_snoo I'll do some more soon. Thanks for the heads up on steaming longer. I did first 3 for 50 minutes and second 3 for 60 minutes.

#12 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

I just realized that I bought shitty tap lights. The fuckers already went dead and when I replaced the batteries the POS doesn't work. :eusa_wall

Would I be ok just turning on a CFL light inside of the closet rather than having it inside of the tit? Here is a pic of my setup. Its underneath a staircase and I was thinking of putting the light above the Tit. However, the light would not be direct. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

• 0601180003.JPG
  • 0601180002.JPG

#13 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

So I put up a flourescant grow light in the closet and the Tit is getting plenty of indirect light. But, I am reviewing over the process of innoculation that I did and was reading a post on hear that was saying you should insert the needle just below the verm barrier and proceed to inject. I believe I stuck the needle almost all of the way in (almost as far as it would go) into the hole.

I did see the spore solution go to the bottom of the jar on each hole that was inncoulated. But my question is will this keep the jars from colonizing? Should I squirt a little more spores toward the top of the BRF layer?

Thanks again everybody for answering my questions. I couldn't do this without Mycotopia. :bow:

#14 Mycomaniac2007

Mycomaniac2007

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

Just leave them alone and they will be fine. Cant go back and fix , hope for the best and be patient. Good Luck !

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

I did see the spore solution go to the bottom of the jar on each hole that was inncoulated. But my question is will this keep the jars from colonizing? Should I squirt a little more spores toward the top of the BRF layer?

no and no,
to the bottom is what you want
avoid wetting up near the lid

#16 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:

I opened up my tit this morning to check for growth and 5 out of the 6 jars I knocked up are show small growth. It was so beatiful; I know its premature but I'm so frickin excited that I even made it this far. I will post some pics later and thanks for the replies. :bow:

#17 MycoChondria

MycoChondria

Intellectually Immortal

• OG VIP
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

:dance::eusa_danc germination dance! :eusa_danc:dance:

#18 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

:loveeyes::dance::cacti::eusa_danc

Thanks Mycho!

Alright, so here is a pic of SWIM's germination. It just blows my mind how much has happened today. I was preparing myself for it to take a week to 10 days or not even come at all, but this is after 3 days. I love this hobby. The pics aren't the greatest but please let me know what you all think.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0601200008.JPG
  • 0601200007.JPG
  • 0601200006.JPG
  • 0601200004.JPG
  • 0601200005.JPG

#19 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:48 AM

Bump. What do you guys think? Is everything looking good? I hope so. Thanks for looking and I will post more pics for your viewing pleasure. :loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:

#20 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:53 AM

no and no,
to the bottom is what you want
avoid wetting up near the lid

Hippie, for next time should I aim the needle just below the verm barrier? I realize that I want it to drain to the bottom, but should I start squirting from just below the verm barrier or does that matter?

Thanks Hip

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!