• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 hungryjim

hungryjim

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

not having much to work with, for my first crop i laid a box-fan flat, blowing down, supported on all corners by piles of books, propped up off of the floor. then suspended in a sealed contained over damp-rid...dry as crackers!

#22 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

Is this quite small for B+ for its 2nd flush ? There are about 20 small - medium shrooms. In the pics there are about 15 as I picked 5 smallish shrooms before I took the pictures. Compared to the 1st flush there doesn't seem to be many at all or could this be straglers from the 1st flush as these guys started growing about a day after I picked the 1st flush and amoung the first flush were a few that probably were not ready to be picked as the veils had not broke.

Are they straglers or is this a very small 2nd flush and why ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 23-06-08_1817.jpg
  • 23-06-08_1812.jpg

• drmcnasty likes this

#23 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

it sounds like the end of the first flush if it was only a day after.

#24 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

I did harvest the first flush about 5 days ago but I had pins 24 hours after and a few more 2-3 days after so im hopeing it is the end of the first flush.

Does cobweb mold prevent pinning ? I think I may have some but only 50% sure. The mycelium looks quite weak on the surface and I wouldn't say its a brillient white nor a dull grey it's hard to tell. I cant post a pic because my camera wont capture the detail. It's not really whispy either, as it's quite humid in my fruit chamber tiny little droplets of water have collected on the surface and sort of clung to the mycelium/cobweb and made it look "flat" but I wouldn't say it's "fanning" at all.

I sprayed a little peroxide in a small area and if it's cobweb or mycelium it did not dissapear. From what I have discribed does this sound like cobweb or mycelium ? Does very hunid enviroments cause mycelium to grow faint/weak ?

I am using the "layer of verm, layer of crushed cakes then a layer of verm tek"

Thanks for your opinions :weedpoke:

#25 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

Add more FAE like 5 to 7 times a day for 5 to 7 minutes at a time. this will allow any co2 to be released. Is it fluffy looking like cotton or like a cloud and grey. But, if you sprayed hydrogen peroxide on it and it didn't kill it then I would seriously doubt it is cob web. It could just be the mycelium taking on a slight hue due to the casing you are using. As for the mushies I would venture to say that it was the end of the first flush. After the mycelium recovers it should bust into a second flush and start that pin dance we all love so much. But, it could be that the mycleium is finished producing mushies you might try after you are sure its done (this is just a thought a theory if you will) flipping the sub over rehydrating it and casing that side (remember the casing step if you decide to flip the sub over) and see if it will fruit some more. :headbang:

#26 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Irishlion,
after keeping a close eye on it I dont think it is cobweb, I have about 50-60 holes drilled in the lid covered with micropore tape so I took half the pieces of tape off to expose and let fresh air in. Looking closly I think that this was the end of the first flush as after picking the last remaining 10-15 shrooms 2days ago there has been no more pins appearing. I injected that hpoo liquid all over including around the edges where there was no mycelium and last night I noticed that the mycelium has started to spread out around the edges (looking for nutrients I think)

It's been 7 days since the initial bulk harvest and about 3 days since the last pin appeared. Do you think it will pin again, if so how long from your experience? I think the mycelium may be in recovery mode ... I hope.

As I said before, as the FC is so humid little tiny droplets of water are forming on the mycelium were it is exposed (about 75% of the surface) Is this damaging to the mycelium and do you think I should cover with vermiculite and lightly spray or is it ok to have mycelium exposed ???

#27 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

you cover the entire sub with the casing and mist it. Remember that too much humidity can be a bad thing as well. you want your humidity level to be around 85 to 93 %. You really need to invest in a themohyrdometer is you don't have one. You can find a good one for 29.95 at this site http://homeharvest.c...lmonitoring.htm that way you can see what your RH is, remember the 29.95 one. I am sure if you are seeing new mycelium growth then you WILL see a new flush. It could take up to a week for the mycelium to recover and begin the fruiting stage again. You must remember you harvested early and injected nutrients into the mycelium/subsatrate so its gonna need time to recover. Patitence is a virture which is well rewarded.:hookah::greenboun:weedpoke:

#28 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

Cool :) I'll just wait :smokin:

So should I cover the mycelium with some more verm ??? Obviously it was covered 100% at the start but since the flush I had and new growth before and after itt's very much visable/exposed.

Oh and I will invest in one of those themohyrdometer very soon.

#29 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

you always replace the casing after every flush!:horse: :amazed:

#30 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:31 AM

ahhh ok ! I didn't fully recase I just patched up exposed parts where the mushies had grown but I did leave some mycelium exposed. So I should go home tonight and add more verm just so the mycelium is lightly covered obvoiously not piled on? :bow:

#31 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

yes and BTW how much (dried weight) did ya get off that first flush anyway? about 18 grams or so?

#32 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thanks dude will add some verm tonight and mist lightly :D

Not sure about the weight as I dont have scales but including the 10 or so shrooms I picked a few days after I think I got roughly about 100 mushies :D

I tried some on the weekend, took 10 in a cup of tea and very good effects. I've tried treskei (south african) and Mazatapek (sorry about the spelling) and I think B+ has very different high as it's not very visaul but sort of a more mental high and not as "funny". When I took 10 treskei (south african) and Mazatapek each on differnt occasions the trip was like being part of a cartoon and simple tings like patteerns and a blank monitor and my computer mouse gave me hours of entertainment :lol: but B+ felt as strong but not many visuals at all and the hight came in waves but it always felt like I had both feet on the ground and I couldn't peak even after a few more shrroms :( I would discribe B+ as a more darker high as some of the thoughts whizzing around my head were quite weird to say the least. The trip lasted about 6 hours and when I closed my eyes to go to sleep I had some insane visuals. I can still remember them now :mistrust: some were quite weird and dark but at no point was I scared or paniced. Also I would say that B+ are very confusing as it took me 30 minutes to get dressed, put my shoes on and lock my front door due to fact I had thoughts whizzing around and would forget waht I was doing.

I've heard the type of high and potency depends on how they are grown and in what conditions they were grown in and obviously personnal enviroment as they say " a cube is a cube " but I think each one does have a slightly differnt "high".

B+ = dark and confusing imo

#33 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Ok, actually cased it this time .. properly. Spinkled with verm untill all the mycelium was covered, sprayed untill moist then lightly scratched with a fork so the whole surface was uneven while keeping the mycelium covered.

Going to wait and see what happens in the next few days... :smokin:

#34 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

Ok so heres the 2nd flush :eusa_shif

Not sure what happend but it just didn't wnat to pin, it's been 15 days since I harvested my 1st flush which I was very impressed with.

It's been about 2-3days since the first pin appeared in my feable 2nd flush and I was sure more would come but these 3 shrooms (3rd very hard to see) just kept growing and almost ready to pick and I can see no more pins. The mycelium doesn't seem to be doing alot but what is going on beneath the verm I have no idea but no noticable growth from what I can see.

Could more pins appear, could this be the biginning of the 2nd flush or has this little project come to a joyful end ?

I only used 2 half pint/370g jam jars, crumbled them up and layered with verm and on the picture above on the first flush I got about 90-100 mushrooms big and small.

What do you think, nutrients depleted ? and what the chances of a 3rd flush ? :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• 18-06-08_1756.jpg
  • 18-06-08_1757.jpg
  • 03-07-08_1932.jpg
  • 03-07-08_1931.jpg

#35 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

excelllent. now just do the same thing and on and on until its spent then toss it. unless your of the philosophy of banging out two flushes then replenishing by not wasting your space.

many times. you will see fruits from pins that were formed on the first flush. some might not have matured due to lack of moisture or other larger fruits beating it to the finish. these will mature and frult. foaf finds this evident on substrates as well. but on substrates. after a few flushes. the sub starts becoming very hard. so at times it needs a good scratch to the surface to get it going again. or an application of a late casing.

but you can also see that sometimes the casing will pin again. it takes longer for this to happen. but with certain strains like tex. they pin very fast.

#36 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hmm I think you might be thinking that all four pics are the 2nd flush but the first two are the second flush (yes only 2/3 shrooms) and the second 2 pics are the first flush, sorry should have pointed it out more clearly,

Only 2 -3 shrooms for my 2nd flush :eusa_booh :(

#37 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:50 AM

#38 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:12 PM

not sure how to explain that? though two bins of the same strain and the same sub have done that to me before. one does terrific and the other barely produced. (i know, yours are the same tub) maybe it is done and you should get to work on another,lol. one thing you can do is place that casing outdoors somewhere shady( covered with mulch or soil or leaves) and where you can water it, it might produce some more. i have picked a dry 1/2 oz of from a bin over 2 weeks that wouldnt produce anything more in the house. i basicly placed it on newspaper and covered it with soil under a tree and watered it almost daily.

#39 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

Well I dont have a garden as I live in a urban 2 bed flat but Irishlion told me I should soak the whole thing in water so I did that , soaked it in water for about 12 hous drained then patch up and now going to wait and see what happens. If nothing happens in 5-10 days im probably going to start over again and try bulk sub.

I am very pleased with this li'l project dont get me wrong, from getting 20 shrooms in total form a pf tek last year to a forest this time using this tek im more than happy and learning and improving more :amazed:

Lokking forward to my next project, 3 jars almost colonized from a print I made from my first flush :rasta:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!