• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Santiago

Santiago

Shepherd

• Expired Member
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

It seems at some point I saw someone doing bags of worm castings.

I was thinking about doing this, and was wondering a few things.

First - can I use LC? If not, can I use PF cakes, or should it really be grain?

Second - can a worm casting bag fruit invitro? Do you sterilize or pasteurize? If pasteurize, can I do that in the bags?

Third - well a bag with worm castings smell? I've worked with them a bit before and don't remember a distinct smell.

#2 jason_

jason_

Dirty South

• Expired Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

I can't answer all your questions, but I can share some experiences...

When I do worm castings (in tubs) I spawn from colonized grains. I use LC or Agar to inoculate the grains... I don't know about inoculating the worm castings directly, though I would assume either would work. In the case of inoculating directly, I would guess that you want to sterilize.

Worm castings in my experience have virtually NO smell which is why I recommend them so readily to anyone who is limited on space or going for stealth.

-Jason

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

Ideally you would sterilize for fruiting invitro but that means u have to shoot with MS or LC ...The sterility must be maintained..If you have a glovebox you could crumble a cake
into it..This type bag would do better with some whole grain flour mixed in ..

The alternative is to pasteurize the castings, then mix in your cake ,then perforate the bag, so there is a slow but constant exchange of air that's enough to prevent contams..
In other words, it's a flexible FC....

#4 Santiago

Santiago

Shepherd

• Expired Member
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Cool, thanks for the tips!!

My glovebox and I seem to make a very effective team ::typing break to knock on wood::. However, I also have what appear to be some pretty killer LCs, so do you think sterilizing poo (and something else - what?) and then 'nocing up w/ LC could be cool? I could do a full 10 CCs to a bag, although the LC I have isn't from an isolate.

And a poo bag should fruit invitro np?

#5 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Worm castings make great poo - but you need to thin them a little. Straight castings are a little be dense, but add some coconut coir and you are in great shape.

You can innoculate with LC, spores or a G to G transfer.

You can most assuredly do castings invitro (see last line). Unlike cow and horse poo, you can EITHER pasturize OR sterilize and get success. If you sterilize cow/horse poo, it is far more likely to contaminate. Castings do great fully sterilized.

Worm castings smell very lightly of fresh humus/soil. No nasty smell at all.

Here is a Tek I wrote on doing castings in spawn bags:
http://mycotopia.net...allon-jars.html

That should give you beaucoup information on using castings. If ya have any more questions, sing out!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!