• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

If it's brownish/black that's a good thing. It appears to be a gray color in that photo. Did you look at my composting thread? There's a lot of information in there that will help with getting started on c/n ratios of materials, exc.

#22 togglesniper

togglesniper

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:14 PM

Thanks Hyphaenation, that was a really interesting site, and they have a pretty quick turnaround on their compost based on a simple looking recipe.

One thing that I noticed at this site as well as in Lazlo's kickass premium composting post is that chicken manure looks like it can be added to the straw (with maybe a little bit of gypsum) to get a simple but enhanced compost, with correct C/N ratios. I have some composted chicken manure pellets sitting around, gonna grab a scale and crunch some numbers.

Will I lose a lot of the chicken manure nutrition from the compost when I'm pasteurizing it?

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

I was going to offer this recipe earlier, but didn't think you could get chicken manure. Or didn't want to fool with it. Anyways...........

2200 lbs. of wheat straw
1300 lbs. of chicken manure (broiler chickens)
130 lbs. of gypsum

Of course you'd want to hack the ratios down to however much compost you want to make.

#24 togglesniper

togglesniper

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

thanks Lazlo. Your right, initially I didn't want "too many" ingredients, but it looks like having the correct ratio is pretty important.

The straw that has been broken down will still get a test run hopefully alongside regular straw to show any one interested whether it might be at all worth waiting an extra month for the straw to decompose a bit.

The jars that were prepared didn't look right, the rye berries were too soft and some were split, and the birdseed seemed too dry after a simmer and boil/soak, respectively. Another batch will be prepared and hopefully it won't be too long before the straw is being colonized.

#25 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

For pasteurizing compost , you don't want to soak and drain like straw..Instead conserve the nutes by hydrating to optimum for mush growing , then stuff ziplocks with it and
heat in a huge pot, half full of water w a lid..

Alternately, u can place in covered pots/trays and bake in the oven..Use an oven thermometer to varify cook temp...This takes a bit longer but u can process more compost...

#26 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

No doubt. You do not want to use a hot water bath for compost that leaches nutrition. It becomes a mold magnet once you do so. It completely unbalances the c/n ratio and drowns aerobic microorganisms that are needed to prevent contamination after the pasteurization process.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!