Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

grain, wbs -> woodchips -> bed in the woods = partytime for animals?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ernestro

ernestro

minding matter

• Expired Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:33 PM

so, the title pretty much has it. I read somewhere it might not be a good idea as birds/squirells/etc come and dig your bed open to find grain and the like.
So, anybody got +/- experience?

it's kinda faster than doing BRF jars, i guess, but animals wouldn't eat brf.

THANKS! greetings

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

Two options..You can transfer the seed to wood chip trays/tubs as an intermediate protection measure..Then when all the WBS has been consumed , u can move to it's permanent location in the woods.. Plain Myc and wood is not nearly as attractive to critters at that point..

Second, is to use hardware cloth and landscape fabric to deter preditors from munching
fresh grains...

#3 ernestro

ernestro

minding matter

• Expired Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:08 AM

yeah, i was thinking of spawning seed to a tub of chips, and when it's fully colonised, id spawn that to an outdoor bed.
So i suppose the colonised grain that is still somewhere inside the first round of indoor spawn material isn't going to smell outside of the whole brick of mycelium, right? :)

hmmm. For fruiting, i would make sense to remove the fabric, right?

thanks golly! appreciate :rasta:

#4 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

following gollys advice, this is where i am so far.
pic 1= ovoid to wbs
pic 2= wbs to soaked applewood chips (guessing about a month) i used more chips than recomended.
pic 3= the 2 tubs spawned to a soaked hardwood mulch bed. after the pic i covered it with compost, small branches and hardwood leaf. another layer of woodchips are going on tomorrow. good luck, i am not sure if it was the chips or the ovoids itself but not even a sight of contams and it was fanned daily in open air.

Attached Thumbnails

• recent 276.jpg
  • recent 272.jpg
  • recent 223.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!