• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MTEK

MTEK

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:07 PM

I've been reading this site's forums for awhile. I felt this was the best place to go for advice, since most the people on here seem to be very knowledgeable about this subject.
I have a FOAF who is currently in the final stages of cultivation. The jars were made up of 1 part water, 1 part brown rice, 2 parts vermiculite. Bulk substrate is about 45/45/10 coco liner, worm castings, vermiculite. Casing layers have already been added. The casing layers consist of 90% coconut liner, 10% vermiculite. The coconut liner is not coir brick. It is the liner you would use for potted plants by Cobra Co and it is 100% coconut fiber (fluffier than standard coir). The mycelium seems to love the bulk substrate mixture and rapidly overtook it. The casing layer was applied 6 days after spawning. It has been 8 days since they were cased and 6 days of light so far. The average temperature has been around 80 degrees the whole time. The casing layer is 90% colonized. There are still no signs of pinning. :puke:
My FOAF had some problems with the lighting. The light that was used started flickering and had to be taken out. Now it has steady ambient light. Fanning and spraying has been performed 2 times a day, sometimes 3. The main concern that exist is that my FOAF used hydrogen peroxide when spraying the walls when fanning. Could that have had an adverse effect on the pinning of the mycelium? Or, has he not waited long enough for the pinning.
As A side note, there are 3 strains going currently. They are Amazonian, Syzygy, and Brazilian.

From left to right- Pics 1, 3, 5 are Amazonians. Pic 2 is Syzygy. Pic 4 is Brazilian. Pic 6 is Amazonian and was taken to illustrate the consistency of the bulk substrate. This one was contaminated and was broken apart for inspection.

Any insight would be appreciated. If more pictures or info are required then please let me know. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0006.JPG
  • PICT0004.JPG
  • PICT0005.JPG
  • PICT0002.JPG
  • PICT0003.JPG
  • PICT0001.JPG

#2 MTEK

MTEK

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

Even thought the coir is not the brick, it seemed to overtake the substrate very rapidly. Really trying to find out why they will not pin. Do you think that if my FOAF put on a new casing layer of verm/coir (brick) it would help the pinning process?

#3 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:57 PM

6 days of light isn't that long. Also, you don't need 24 hour light (not sure if you're giving it 24 hour light). Try to drop the temp down 5 degrees if possible. 70-75 is good for fruiting. What's the RH?

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:26 AM

It's not been long enough to worry yet.
I would change a few things tho.

No need for the H2O2 in the water that wont
help you and could cause delays.

No need to mist 2-3 times a days unless there is
significant drying and if that's the case your RH must
be running low. Practice keeping it SLIGHTLY moist and
mist only when it starts to dry.

It looks like you have tyvek on the sides of your FC?
If thats the case, try to limit your fanning to once a day
until you see pins. With the combination of the tyvek and one fanning once a day it will limit the drying of the sub.

The replacement for coir you used is fine.

You are still in great shape man, no need to start worrying yet. Every thing looks fine to me ;)

*edit

I see you say misting the sides. If that is your source of RH keep that up and keep those sides moist at all times. I thought you meant you were spraying the sub three times a day :)

If that is your source of RH you may want to just crack open the lid, mist, and then close. Limit your fanning for sure if that's your only RH source.

#5 MTEK

MTEK

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:13 AM

It looks like you have tyvek on the sides of your FC?
If thats the case, try to limit your fanning to once a day
until you see pins. With the combination of the tyvek and one fanning once a day it will limit the drying of the sub.

The casings are inside of 18 gal. rubbermaid totes. Two of the sides had been cut out and replaced with clear plastic in order to help light pass through the tupperwares and also so we could look inside without opening if we wanted to. We want to upgrade to tyvek eventually. Since it is only plastic, how many times per day would you recommend fanning the casings?

Thanks for all the help so far. It is appreciated!

#6 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

I would recomend 5 times a day followed by a misting

#7 Psilly_Engineer

Psilly_Engineer

One of the Best

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:56 AM

Dude...dude. Slow down. You are over-analyzing the whole process. Coir is unnecessary, period. It looks like you need to ride w/ cakes for a while. Then move on to casing.

-Much love young Skywalker ~ Me

#8 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

Other than stagnant air there really isnt a reason to fan that much while there isn't pins. With your set up you will just dry the sub.

Just stick your nose in the FC a little ways. Make sure that the air is humid, warm, and earthy smelling. Just a hint of stagnant, give it a fan. I cant imagine a chamber that small would need more fanning than once a day. Especially since you have to open it to mist the sides for your humidity upkeep.

Your level of maintenance will very because of several factors that will differ from everyone else's. The key is to keep it humid, keep it warm, and keep the air as fresh as you can without drying it out.

Fanning mains purpose for my grows (and this serves ME well) is to keep the air fresh and keep CO2 level to a minimal. Now, with no mushrooms, not even pins the only thing you need to worry about at this stage is the air getting stagnant. Once pins do come you will need to up the fanning; Fan more often.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!