• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Indonesia

Indonesia

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

OK...I started growing around December and haven't posted any pics yet... Here are some treasure coasts i grew in a pie tin spawning from popcorn to pure chopped wheat straw...then cased with a mix of cocoa coir/verm/jiffymix...colonized corn in 6 days...spawn run lasted 4 days @ 82 deg F..casing to pins 5 days...let this specimens mature and sporulate only 2 get pics b/c was waiting 4 camera...I now harvest b4 veil breaks always..

The Buddha carving is from Vietnam btw

I now use a formula of straw/cocoacoir/verm/cowdung/wormcast/cottonseedmeal for all bulk (bins and bags)and like 2 spawn with WBS for speed- I think I use 12 cups WBS dry in large sporework bag and use whole bag 2 spawn 2 a bin-this is overkill 4 sure but bins dont fail anymore-
Substrate formula seems 2 yield well-Last bin of B+ even pinset with each mushroom weighing over 45g wet- 3oz dry first flush and its on its fifth now-sorry no pics of bins none taken-
2oz dry first flush b+ ms innoculation in a large sporework bag filled with oats- pics shown- bag totally neglected-no casing and not opened till harvest- spores 2 harvest in 1 and 1/2 months...only one flush achieved with oats and no casing
I think that oats are a really good substrate-harvest is so easy b/c oats fall right off the shrooms-no mess-and a good yield with no casing layer-very nice! I would love 2 see other people work with oats (whole oats). Nine dollars for 50 lbs isnt bad either:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 386.jpg
  • Picture 388.jpg
  • Picture 096.jpg
  • Picture 102.jpg
  • Picture 100.jpg
  • Picture 097.jpg
  • Picture 093.jpg
  • Picture 090.jpg
  • Picture 091.jpg
  • Picture 086.jpg

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

Cool Buddha and sweet flush :loveeyes:

#3 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

excellent job!:headbang:

#4 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

:loveeyes:
beautiful.....good job:eusa_clap

#5 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

Awesome flush man, I got some TC going right now, So did you like working with them?

#6 Dizz

Dizz

High On Adrenaline

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

:eusa_clap

#7 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

Very nice. I have some barley colonising ATM. I have grown on wheat too. Oats may get sticky if any grains explode, so if using them they should be soaked well, maybe not simmered at all, and make sure the PC cools slowly to stop explosions. I am not certain about that, but I do know they are no longer used much for whiskey making due to the stickiness meaning it is hard to clean afterwards.

I didn't know sporeworks did oats, I see they are doing wheat too due to a rye shortage. Rye is rare and expensive where I am.

#8 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

Very, Very Nice!!:bow::bow::bow:

That a clone?

#9 Indonesia

Indonesia

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:23 AM

Dice-Treasure Coast is definitely fun 2 work with...took a single grains of corn and dropped onto petris 2 get some of the most rhizomorphic mycelium i have seen...havent worked with bins yet but im looking forward 2 seeing some bigguns..those were pretty small on the pie tin..all about 10-15g wet i bet..pretty potent..cubies r all similiar but these have been more potent than b+ at least 4 me..what i noticed with these r when u eat them fresh they stain blue really fast when u bite into them..more so than other cubies that i have grown

Prism- That is not a clone...the treasure coast could pass for one though-might just b the pinset- i covered the tin w foil and holes poked after casing..the foil was touching the casing layer lightly..this was from lc from a sporework syringe..maybe i only dropped a little spore solution into lc...however when i do lc from spore i usually have used 1-2 cc in the past to get a whole shitload of substrains..i culture more lc from homemade lc syringes 2..i have wondered if after a few transfers if u can end up with an isolate by chance...esp if u use only a couple of drops of lc 2 make more lc...i have noticed that using potatoes instead of plain corn syrup makes a thicker lc..the b+ lc i have is as thick as it gets but the treasure coast lc was made w/out potatoes and is not very thick at all- it still grows out as fast or faster than the b+..

Blackout- the bags are from sporeworks but the substrate is not...made up the bags myself..i silicone the inside then tape...whole oats seem 2 soak up almost 2 much water when hydrated...it seemed like i had 2 wait 4 water 2 evaporate b4 the bag took off..always seems 2 take longer but so far the wait has been worth it w the extra moisture...the b+ bag started out slow but i did shake the bag a few times 2 help the mycelium along..the mycelium grew very rhizo on the oats..that bag was intended as spawn but ended up being neglected..i was surprised with the results esp b/c was my first time without casing layer..that big shroom in the invitro bag was over 50g wet- this is one of the biggest ones ive grown n w/out a casing..my buddy grew out a 100+g monster from the same b+ lc on straw- it pushed right thru ducktaped tyvek on a montub bin 2 get 2 fresh air and was sticking right out the side of the bin..lol.. strong lil guy
yeah the oats get sticky- i have pressure cooked and soaked and either can work 4 hydration...i then pc 4 2hrs w/ a full pressure cooker- the sides of that bag got sticky stuff on it from shaking( i am sure i rinsed the grains) and i had pins growing right off the side of the bag up a couple inches from the substrate...looked really cool...the pic i took was blurry b/c it they were small..i had a smaller sized bag that had more n bigger pins on the side of bag however.
the smallest project with oats i have done was PE Uncut using only a pint of oats and treated like a cake...the yield was not very good 1/8th dry- i think the oats lost 2 much moisture after birthing
question- u think oats would b good 4 pans?

thank you all 4 checking out this thread:rasta:Peace

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:47 AM

Arrr there be treasure !

:pirate:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!