• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

Man, what a sight to wake up to today :loveeyes: :amazed: :teeth: First I must dance:dance::dance::cacti::cacti::eusa_danc:eusa_danc:headbang:.

I will post some pics for Swim soon. Couple quick questions as swim doesn't want to hurt his new babies. Daily, he has been giving FAE by opening the jars with the cake on the lid for about 1 minute. He has also been wiping the jars with a paper towel to remove the excess condensation on the jar. I have read that pins do not like water on them and am a little afraid when the cakes are removed to wipe jars, pins may touch the side of jar where the condensation is, so he has a few questions.

Is it still advisable to FAE and keep wiping the jars daily?
Any extra precautions he should take when doing so?

#2 partially_veiled

partially_veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:49 AM

Can't help you with the advice (sounds like you're fruiting invitro?? I dunno, I was unsure from the description...) but CONGRATS on the freaking pins man. Here's my little dance for you :cacti::cacti:. Keep the good psychedelic gravy flowing. Yes...that's right...psychedelic gravy.

#3 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Piccys Plz!!

#4 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

:greenboun:greenboun:greenboun:dance::dance::cacti::cacti::cacti:

If you're growing invitro.....than I'm not sure I can help. Good luck and congrats on the pins!

#5 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Piccys Plz!!

hehe, I will be posting some tonight. I can't wait to show em off. It always bums me when I see a thread on pins with no pics.

#6 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

There is a lot of condensation on the jars and swim doesn't want to get the pins wet so:

Is it still advisable to FAE and keep wiping the jars daily?

Any extra precautions he should take when doing so?

If a pin touches a little condensation on the inside of the jar while removing the cake for FAE how bad is that?

Also, thank you to you all cuz I wouldn't have made it without you!

#7 MycoViator

MycoViator

Wall growing ninja

• Expired Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

Invitro is my grow method of choice. When the jar is 100% colonized, i dump the extra verm layer out, fill the jar with water with the cake still in it, reseal the lid and let em dunk just like that over night. Sometimes i'll throw a styrofoam packing peanut (make sure its not one of the starchy biodegradable ones... ooops!) on the top to keep the cake 100% submerged.

I drain out all the water, pat the cake dry on a paper towel, wipe out any excess moisture from the jar and put the cake in upside down seal the lid and set the jar on its lid.

This puts the metal lid on the bottom with the white side of the cake sitting on the lid, vermy side facing up. I leave em just like this until its time to harvest. Then repeat the dunk and wipe.

Pins form up against the glass all the time, even have shrooms sprout right on a drop of water. Never had a problem doing them this way. Very stealth method too. Easy to do the dunk and wipe methods in the middle of the night ;)

I've found that doing a dunk then roll in verm or coir makes harvest clean up a nightmare going invitro. Shrooms grow hugging the cake, so get all kinds of verm and coir imbedding in the flesh. om nom nom nom haha.

But yeah... rambling :rasta: I wouldn't worry too much about pins getting wet invitro. Nor wiping out excess moisture. I rarely loose a cake once if it stays contam free up to birthing. And average about 3-4 flushes with this method. Neglect for the win!

#8 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

#9 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

As long as you keep RH up, you can't have too much FAE.

I wouldn't worry about wiping out the inside of the jars at this point. You are stealing moisture from the cake.

#10 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

Well shoot, SWIM wiped the jars today, didn't notice what you said BB. Thought I read somewhere that you should wipe out excess water. Will not wipe again. Here are some pics of the pins. :headbang:

Any other advice?:bow:

Approx how long til picking?

Attached Thumbnails

• 0602070006.JPG
  • 0602070003.JPG
  • 0602070004.JPG
  • 0602070001.JPG

#11 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

Advice: leave 'em alone! They are clearly kickin' ass and takin' names!

Harvest when the jars are jammed full of shrooms. Don't worry about them getting squished/beaten up - gnarled and funky looking fungus trips just the same as picture book pretty fungus!

When you do harvest, just peel 'em off the cakes.

I would suggest a dunk after harvest so the next flush has plenty of moisture.

Those cakes are gonna put out a nice amount of magic!

Congrats, mang!

#12 thedude123man

thedude123man

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:39 PM

:loveeyes:Kudos on the nice pinset. I got 2 jars that just finished colonizing that I'm gonna try invitro with meself. I'm not sure on how long till ya pick as this is my first attempt also. Great looking jars you got there though.

#13 Psilly_Engineer

Psilly_Engineer

One of the Best

• Expired Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

Awesome pinset bro. It is definitely time for SWIM to birth those bad boys. Invitro is cool if you have absolutely no free time. Other than that, uncage those demons!

#14 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Yeeah Babay!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

#15 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

:bow:Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I=SWIM; I would never do anything of this sort. But my SWIM does.:pirate:

BB, I don't plan on wiping or messing with them anymore. Thanks for the advice :bow:.

Also, I did a dunk on 5 of my 6 jars for 9 hours after colonization and these pics are of the ones that were dunked. The 1 jar that I didn't dunk has maybe 5-7 pins and all of the rest have at least 20 pins:headbang:. So I definately recommend dunking before the first flush, it helped big time. The 5 dunked jars didn't pin until a day after the non dunked jar, but made up the time lost quickly.

Psilly, I'm just gonna let em go invitro this time. I'll probably throw a couple in the FC next time round, but KISS this time round.

Mycotopia rules :headbang:

Thank you especially to Hippie3 and BB:eusa_clap

#16 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

Nice Job Bro!!

Nothing like a harvest of some majik to make your day better!!

:bow:

#17 partially_veiled

partially_veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

Nice steeq!! Congrats bro, thats some tasty lookin' magic. I bet you're rubbing your hands together a la Mr. Burns at this moment, looking forward to that harvest! Haha I'm sure it's all the better too because you did it yourself. Go steeq :headbang:! Also yeah it looks like the pre-birthing dunk did you well :thumbup:, good luck with the rest!

#18 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Not a problem at all, man. Glad to be of service!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!