• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 psilo99

psilo99

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

Started with 5 rye bags and 4 poo bags. 4 of the rye bags stalled on me (clumpy mulitspore syringe) one vigorously colonized. This was broken up and split in half. Half of it was mixed with a poo bag in 3 casings, half of it was mixed with a poo bag inside the poo bag.

Poo bag is colonized waiting for me to case it. These casings are now pinning. I tried different techniques and layering with each casing, and the most fruitful has poo on bottom, spawn layer, and poo on top. I cased with 100% vermiculite (microwaved in a casserole dish for 3min). Misted casing until I saw pins. This is day 2 of pinning.

The poo and rye bags were from a friend of mine. She adds some great stuff to her mixes, and I feel like the nutes are overwhelming. I expected a nice flush, but this pinset just blows my mind. Enjoy :)

I'll update with pics as they come along. /stealthmode. Straight Verm casings werked fer me.

BTW- does it look too humid? all i was doing was misting the sides, fanning 3 times a day. No perlite, no humidifier. I didn't expect them to be so dark and dank with so much white on the caps. any comments/critique would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• day 5 after casing.jpg
  • middle2.jpg
  • small casing.jpg
  • middle-casing.jpg
  • right casing.jpg

• Heirloom likes this

#2 psilo99

psilo99

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

after counting i found about 100+ pins on two of the casings, with one slacking a bit.

Crossing fingers hoping no aborts no aborts! no whammies no whammies! Been fanning a lot just letting em get big. New pics tomorrow.

#3 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

nice!

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

It is a bit humid, but if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it.

Looks good!

#5 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Beautiful pin set on the trays! :loveeyes: A beautiful flush to harvest very soon :)

I wouldn't mist any longer, but do continue fanning for air exchange. Looks great!!!!!

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

:cool:

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Boom..! ..Nice tray..
They should be good....
Could be a minor infection but doesn't seem to be hurting any...

#8 psilo99

psilo99

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

where do you see an infection? I've been more sterile then a vasectomy!

I think I see what you might be noticing, I can't tell if its greening, or if its an optical-vermiculite-illusion. Or did you mean I might have some blotch?

Also- After first flush, I'm planning on dunking. Should I flood the containers the casing is in? or take the casing out and dunk it in a larger sterile bucket?

thx!

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

moving a heavy wet casing often breaks it,
best to flood in-place if possible.

#10 psilo99

psilo99

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

Thanks hippie I feel like i've been reading you all day!
These archives you keep have excellent information! good to see it all in one place.

I especially like
the haiku like answers
that you give to
stupid and smart questions
alike.

<3 thanks for years worth of information organized so I can find what i need.

#11 psilo99

psilo99

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

Woot! More pics!

my friend ate one against my advice (doh) and said they felt "very clean". I told him less touchy more fanny.

When I looked at them today, I saw a LOT of aborts methinks. Most of them hadn't had their heads go black yet, but one of them, right in the middle of the clusterfuck, was BLACK. I made an informed decision and tried to cut off the head of the abort, and underneath it all i found was more black. Cut more. More black. Right now in the middle of one of the huge clusters on the middle casing, there is a circular black spot where the abort was.

I think I should have left it. I feel like i opened a wound for contamination. Maybe I should fill in the black hole with verm, but I think I'm just going to leave it until the harvest.

Here are the pics. If you look carefully at one of the pics, on the right side of the most fruitful casing, there was just a dirty filthy abort :(

The abort i picked is in the middle of the right clump in the second to last picture :( I'll take a pic to assay the damage tomorrow or the next day. I'm expecting to harvest before the end of the week.

The last picture is my Romeo and Juliet mushroom. As you can see the stems are tearing apart, but there is a film where they meet. You can see the caps from above in some of the pics. The heads look connected, and I have a feeling my little mutant will be beautiful :)

No contams found, but I do think I fucked up picking this abort. I should have just left it. Now it's a black crater of mushroom death. Oh well! Crossing my toes!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2-romeojuliet.jpg
  • 2-mid-art.jpg
  • 2-mid2.jpg
  • 2-mid.jpg
  • 2-closeup.jpg
  • 2-back.jpg
  • 2-left.jpg

#12 psilo99

psilo99

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

HARVESTING MIDDLE CASING WOOT!

here's some pics from this morning. First pic is the spot where i picked an abort from. You can see deep blueing. As you can see, many of the pins aborted. I am a little dissapointed, but 2nd flushes can always be better!

PICS!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02903.JPG
  • DSC02902.JPG
  • DSC02897.JPG
  • DSC02898.JPG
  • DSC02899.JPG
  • DSC02906.JPG
  • DSC02909.JPG
  • theblotch.JPG

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

aborts are to be expected, they can't all be bigguns.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!