• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:33 AM

Once we become successful with a particular way of doing things, we tend to want to keep doing it that way. I know I do, and it takes one hell of a lot of convincing for me to change something since any deviation from the way I achieve consistent success risks creating a novel form of failure. That said, I'm constantly looking for ways to improve things since there's always room for improvement.

There's an upper limit to productivity for a given volume of mushroom substrate (regardless of the formula), and people have been tinkering with formulas and recipes for a long time now so any improvements we'll see are most likely going to involve relatively small details. For example, a contamination rate of 10% or higher is unacceptable in the mushroom growing industry since most companies do better than that, so if yours doesn't you're simply not going to stay in business. If the industry standard is, say, a 4% contamination rate (random example) then you can dominate the industry by keeping yours at 2.5-3.0%.

I know two economists who are paid a lot of money (one makes seven figures a year) to tell large corporations about ways to improve those tiny details since at the multinational level the big players are pretty much dead-even in terms of the efficiency of their factories and the minimizing of their costs and things like that. So, to get ahead in business these highly-paid economic consultants concentrate on being 1-2% better than the competition (2% gets you a seven-figure income). Being 10% better is totally unrealistic at that level (the competition hires consultants too).

Anyhow, that's just to say there's a reason some companies become Wal-Mart and some go out of business, and it's usually a difference of less than 5%. In the context of growing psychedelic fungi, I'm only talking in terms of maximizing efficiency for ourselves, not putting other growers out of business since these rules don't quite apply to the black market the same way and I'm not interested in ventures of that nature anyhow (I like a good night's sleep and prefer a low-stress existence and the stress-to-income ratio is much better with weed anyway). So, I look at it like I'm in competition with myself along with trying to develop habits proven to encourage success in general.

Lessons from industrial-scale success might be useful to apply to these smaller individual efforts, and it's a mindset we'll need to have if we're going to go big with any venture in life so IMO we might as well develop the right habits ASAP. A lot of hobby growers dream of a gourmet edible mushroom business or would love to sell how-to videos or equipment or be a spore supplier or somehow make a living from what they love to do without it being illegal. Once they make a serious attempt at doing that, they're suddenly in competition with everyone else doing the same and that 1-2% rule applies. Being slack about all the seemingly-insignificant details at that point dooms the enterprise to failure, and most will in fact fail. I focus on learning the hows and whys of the ones that succeed.

This is sort of a rambling semi-rant on the 'why' of my opinions about these matters; I'm not even really sure what I'm getting at other than to spell out why I'm so adamant about seemingly trivial things. If the psychonauts are ever gonna take over the world and turn it into a 'mycotopia', we got to know all the nuts-and-bolts details required to pull it off and one of the best sources for reliable info is the methods used by those who already have.

I suppose I'm talking about a much bigger subject than straining sunflower seeds out of WBS, but I think this little detail illustrates the Big Picture pretty well. It's all connected, so let's strain out those sunflower seeds and take over the world! :headbang:

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

Don't know how to answer this question without some serious self-incrimination on this open online forum that anyone can view so for argument sake I concede and say you win.

cop-out,
you had no problem until now...

#43 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

Wow really how many gms can one expect from a 1/2 pint jar from a single flush of let's say Puerto Rican ???

well PR isn't a good choice but typical pf cake yield is about 3-4 gm dry for 1st flush,
and a total eventual yield of 6-8 gm dry.
your mileage may vary,
but the low end for a pf cake, 1st flush, is ~2 dry gm
and i've seen many go 3 times that much.

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

i do not think efficiency is always the primary concern,
for me i can live with some inefficiency
because my primary concern is to
GET AWAY WITH IT.
e.g. not getting caught being my primary concern
with a secondary concern of a fail-safe,
i.e. IF i do get caught
then MINIMIZE THE CONSEQUENCES.
then,
after my two over-riding primary concerns are addressed,
i think about maximum efficiency.
#3 on my list at best.
life is a long-term game
and i plan on playing until the end
as a free man.
so maybe i might not have the coolest grow op,
i want the judge to think the same way,
that i'm just a rank amateur with a ghetto set-up.
looking like a grow pro isn't helpful in front of a jury.
:reb:
so what i'm saying is
for some folks it just isn't about
efficiency
and for them that's OK,
we should not critique their choice.

#45 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

All excellent points that I agree with completely. I did mention how these rules don't exactly apply in an illegal context, but I do think applying them as much as is practical (without increasing one's exposure to legal consequences) is a good idea, and I don't think straining out the sunflower seeds is going to make anyone appear to be a running a psychedelic mushroom cartel.

#46 captmaui

captmaui

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:30 AM

well PR isn't a good choice but typical pf cake yield is about 3-4 gm dry for 1st flush,
and a total eventual yield of 6-8 gm dry.
your mileage may vary,
but the low end for a pf cake, 1st flush, is ~2 dry gm
and i've seen many go 3 times that much.

sorry for starting this off topic thing but why is PR not a good choice??
any input is good!!!!
Thanks everybody:headbang:
</IMG>

#47 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

pr can be hard to get pinning, slow

#48 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,710 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:06 PM

So the sterile plate with our colonizing bits of grain and sunflower seeds is ready for another visit.
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
Since we proved in the last autopsy that the mycelium does penetrate grain (milo) but only runs on the outside of the sunflower seed hulls, let's revisit the sunflower seed again.
IMG_1542.JPG
As we can see from the photo, the mycelium has worked its way inside the hull and the exterior of the nut itself.
IMG_1543.JPG
Upon sectioning the sunflower nut, it is clear that the mycelium does not penetrate the nut even when it's rendered readily accesible.
This leads me to hypothesize that sunflower nuts are unsuitable as a food source for this type of mycelium.
If one had access to unsalted, clean sunflower seed hulls, they could probably be used as a substrate material.

The results of this experiment lead me to believe that further experimentation with sunflower seeds is futile.
While the seeds do colonize more quickly, it appears unproductive as a spawn component/ food source when the nut is intact.
I'll continue to strain them out of my WBS during the pre-soak cycle and give them to the birds. :)
  • zodd likes this

#49 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

archive material

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!