• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

I've got two blocks of Blue Oysters that have colonized on wheat straw (see 1st photo right side) and two blocks of Golden Oysters that have colonized on newspaper scraps (see 1st photo left side).

All blocks have been used as bag culture.. the Blue Oysters blocks gave out several impressive flushes (see 2nd photo for typical pinset) and are noticeably lighter in weight. The Golden Oysters on the other hand have been lackluster, only producing a few shrooms.

I've pulled all blocks from their plastic bags and are dunking them overnite. I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to how I could get these blocks to produce some more? Perhaps I could crumble them and spawn to another substrate? or maybe the best thing to do is put 'em back in their plastic bags. Probably worth mentioning that I'm growing indoors so am limited to bag culture, rubbermaid, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Thumbnails

• blue oysters.jpg
  • mushroom blocks.jpg

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

them are some great looking blocks there.
I usually toss my blocks into the compost pile when they're done fruiting.
I end up with a few more flushes this way.
Good Luck

BTW did you let the blocks "rest" for a week or so before initiating the next flush?

#3 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

BTW did you let the blocks "rest" for a week or so before initiating the next flush?

Yup, those blocks have been chilling for about ten days now.

The Blue Oyster substrate seems to be spent and falls apart easily. The Golden Oyster blocks are still dense and fragrant with snow white mycelium, they just don't want to fruit - maybe not enough nutrients?

Unfortunately I cannot toss these into a compost pile as I'm limited to an indoor grow on this one.

#4 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

have you tried a cold shock to get those to fruit?
That might do the trick

#5 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

They're going on about 8 hours in the dunk tank as we speak - I plan to pull them in another 8 or so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this triggers the Blue Oysters to fruit again, but I'd like to try something different on the Golden Oysters. Maybe crumbling and spawning to straw with some nutrients added for good measure? If so I'd like to colonize and fruit 'em in a rubbermaid or bag culture.

Thanks for your input, crazy1 :greenboun

#6 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

hey no prob, but I wouldn't add nutes to the straw if you're going to try the expansion. The myc does run fast but all oysters really need is the straw. And the extra nutes may help a contam get a good foot hold.

edit: bag culture is great for oysters. That's how I grow them.
Good Luck

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

if you do bag cultivation be sure you poke holes in the bag right after adding the straw/spawn mix.
This allows for FAE and it also helps keep the heat from colonization down.
The myc needs as much air as possible at this stage

#8 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

I wouldn't add nutes to the straw if you're going to try the expansion. And the extra nutes may help a contam get a good foot hold.

Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot that extra nutrients could lead to contam. I think just getting these Golden Oysters off newspaper and onto straw will help.

Is it necessary to sterilize the straw when spawning from the colonized newspaper block?

Anyone know a good source for bags used in these bag grows?

#9 Umbo

Umbo

Mycology is Yourcology

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Hey Shroom, nice pics, I was wondering what kind of spawn you used with these, grain or sawdust or other? Ive never grown oysters on newspaper myself, always straw so I cant really weigh in on that, although I know that when I use grain spawn they produce quite a bit more than with sawdust, more nutes with the grain. What I use is poly ducting that I buy from Fungi perfecti, it makes great 'columns' I use the 12" diameter unvented stuff, and poke my own holes right after straw stuffage, Its durable. Ive read that goldens dont produce quite as much as blues anyway, but it sounds like you havent had much of anything, I say experiment, then you'll know for next time. Also I pasteurize my straw instead of sterilize, can do quite a bit more at a time, got a 55gal drum setup. Good luck and totally keep us posted, one more thing, i know getting long, I tried straight pine needles, dried ones, with my last batch, works f-ing great, colonized and fruited a couple days quicker than straw. I read that on an old post here. Goodluck!:headbang:

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

Also if you're going to use straw it should be shredded or chopped up.
This can be done in a few different ways, one with a chipper/shredder or even with a weed whip in a garbage can. Then pasteurize it.
this helps the myc get a hold of the available nutes in the straw.
And you can only use the water for 2 runs of straw after that it'll end up contaminating your straw.

#11 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hey Shroom, nice pics, I was wondering what kind of spawn you used with these, grain or sawdust or other?

I used rye berries as spawn.

What I use is poly ducting that I buy from Fungi perfecti, it makes great 'columns' I use the 12" diameter unvented stuff, and poke my own holes right after straw stuffage, Its durable.

Thanks for the tip, Umbo, I think I'm gonna try that :thumbup:

Also I pasteurize my straw instead of sterilize, can do quite a bit more at a time, got a 55gal drum setup.

Ah yes, 160-180 degrees for ~1hr should do the trick, I can't wait to get my 55 gallon setup (borrowed a friend's on this last grow).

Good luck and totally keep us posted, one more thing, i know getting long, I tried straight pine needles, dried ones, with my last batch, works f-ing great, colonized and fruited a couple days quicker than straw. I read that on an old post here. Goodluck!:headbang:

Thanks for the nice words. Really cool hearing another success story with pine needles - they're all around, have to give 'em a shot myself.
SS :rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• ducting.jpg

#12 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:22 AM

Also if you're going to use straw it should be shredded or chopped up.
This can be done in a few different ways, one with a chipper/shredder or even with a weed whip in a garbage can. Then pasteurize it.
this helps the myc get a hold of the available nutes in the straw.
And you can only use the water for 2 runs of straw after that it'll end up contaminating your straw.

Thanks for reminding me about the weed wacker method, probably much more efficient than sitting in my living room with a scissors for long hours. Someone should really write a book on mushroom farming in a urban/apartment environment - of course lots of info out there already.

I've been told similar about a max of two runs with the water while pasteurizing, anything past that and you're cooking up a herbicide. My friend says rice straw can boost yields up to 30% over wheat.

#13 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

Watching this thread closely.
Umbo, can you link that pine needle thread please?

shroom_seeker, those bags can be found here:
http://sporeworks.co...-p-1-c-258.html

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

oic o' month nominee
http://mycotopia.net...lue-oysters.jpg

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

Here's a local thread on using pine needles for Oyster cultivation...

for the record

http://mycotopia.net...ne-needles.html

#16 Umbo

Umbo

Mycology is Yourcology

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:56 PM

Yeah Myc that link Hyphae gave is the one I had seen. Thanks for the original post of that Hyphae, worked great!

#17 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

I got the idea from a lurker/member/friend that tried it successfully , he passed it to me, then to Umbo ... over to Myc ... and so it goes.

I love how ideas spread quickly in this day and age.

:rasta:

#18 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

Well that dunk did the trick, less than a week later and more shrooms appeared. We made tempura out of these :loveeyes:
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1216827928

Attached Thumbnails

• shroomage.JPG

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

Those look yummy !

Bon Apppatite !

#20 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Those look yummy !
Bon Apppatite !

Thanks Hyph :thumbup:

To answer your question I'm not really sure if the caps did open up all the way. I usually harvest them a few days after pinning before they fully mature, so perhaps they could open more?

I could poke more holes for fresh air exchange, if you think it would help. This is the forth flush off these bags!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!