• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:55 PM

setting it up with gloves clamped on pvc fittings seems ideal for still air, but it's tough to move around with such a small box with a setup like that. what do you guys thing of this setup? 50QT, 4inch holes with tyvek taped over them with slits. would have latex gloves on, freshly washed arms with bacterial soap and spray the hell out of everything inside and out with 10% bleach water.

another question: what's the best way to keep the needle sterile inside there. seems like an alcohol burner could be a problem in there(am i wrong? is there another way to get a flame in there?)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0848.JPG

• Earthling likes this

#2 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:04 AM

I won't ever use a flame to sterilize. Alcohol works great by itself. There are a lot of people on here that only use alcohol with great results.
  • Earthling likes this

#3 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

thanks. the worry is that the alcohol pad isn't sterile for long after you open it. plus it can be a pain to use with gloves. is that how you say it is done? a pad that you keep in the box and wipe after each jar?

beyond that, does all else look ok with it?

#4 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Yeah, it looks really good. Just a very small dish with alcohol and something to wipe it with. I use a paper towel, but cotton, or anything similar will work well. Don't that the paper towel or cotton or whatever dripping with alcohol, but just moisten it. Every once in awhile you can return it to the dish and get more alcohol and squeeze it out.

#5 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

I don't trust alcohol but I trust alcohol lamps even less (nice scar on my forearm from an early attempt at using an alcohol lamp in a glove box).

I like the little "blowtorch" style lighters. Gets a syringe red hot in seconds.

Get some tyvek sleeves to cover your arms.

Also, the whole point of a glovebox is still air. If you sanitize carefully everything that goes in and move slowly that box should work fine.

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,927 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

Nice glovebox!
That'll work like a charm so long as you move slowly while working inside.
I second the "torch" style lighters for flame sterilization but I use alcohol wipes in the glovebox because of fume buildup.
I keep a shot glass of alcohol inside.

I line up several tools so I can dip one, set it aside, and allow to air dry while I'm using another tool.
Lookyhere advised using a wipe to clean off your needle.
I've done that plenty of times with no problems.

#7 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

thanks guys. tyvek sleeves are on the way. and it sounds like alcohol wipes are the way to go

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!