• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 somahawk

somahawk

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:20 AM

After searching this subject I'm confused about when, if and how to mist pan cyans pre-pinning. I've been watering non-colonized areas of the casing layer with a syringe, and this doesn't seem to be working well. Is it safe to mist the colonized areas? Will it pin from a dry casing layer? Sorry if this question has been answered already.

Goliath
peat/verm 50/50
83-86 degrees
Day 5 in FC
(casing applied 8 days ago)

Pictures to show how dry the casing is in the areas not watered.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 1.JPG

#2 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

that looks really dry
i would suggest you mist the FC and let the water wet the casing from misting
dont spray directly
make it fall from the top

to fix your RH problem i would suggest that you tape up the holes on your tub..
that tub is big enough to maintain good RH and good air exchange..
just open it twice a day or something
no need for those cotton and the holes

see if that helps..
as long as there are no tiny pins yet you can mist
just dont wet the pins so it wont abort..

*edit - didnt see that you said its been 5 days in the FC, that should be good enough to heavily mist the tub
to get the casing a little more moist coz it wont be pinning yet..

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

Being as the casing has limited colo at this point, misting is still the best option..
The syringe method is good when you have limited areas that can absorb the water..

Best to spray across the tray and let the mist just fall gently out of the air..I usually hold
the lid in one hand to prevent overspray shooting beyond the tub/tray...

Looking good otherwise...:thumbup:

#4 somahawk

somahawk

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the responses. Should I continue to spray beyond this? Am I being over cautious about getting water droplets on the mycelium?

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.JPG

#5 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

Your now at the point where the syringe maybe a better option for hydration..
Just keep rh fairly high with as much fresh air as can be provided with out compromising humidity levels..Should pin in next couple days, so there shouldn't be much significant water loss...

#6 slacker

slacker

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. Should I continue to spray beyond this? Am I being over cautious about getting water droplets on the mycelium?

Your casing is still looking pretty dry where it's been colonized. You may want to SOAK the tray down and keep the RH high. For future trays give them a good soaking before placing in the fruiting chamber and keep the casing very humid until pins appear which is usually in a few days.

#7 EcuadorianMush

EcuadorianMush

GrowGrowGrow

• Free Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

After searching this subject I'm confused about when, if and how to mist pan cyans pre-pinning. I've been watering non-colonized areas of the casing layer with a syringe, and this doesn't seem to be working well. Is it safe to mist the colonized areas? Will it pin from a dry casing layer? Sorry if this question has been answered already.

Goliath
peat/verm 50/50
83-86 degrees
Day 5 in FC
(casing applied 8 days ago)

Pictures to show how dry the casing is in the areas not watered.

DRY DRY... DRY... do something now.. spray it

#8 somahawk

somahawk

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Your casing is still looking pretty dry where it's been colonized. You may want to SOAK the tray down and keep the RH high. For future trays give them a good soaking before placing in the fruiting chamber and keep the casing very humid until pins appear which is usually in a few days.

When you say soak do you mean dunk or just spray it down heavily? I don't see any pins yet, but should I wait untill after the first flush to do this? Currently day 6 in FC, 9th day since casing applied.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 1.JPG

#9 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:53 AM

You shouldn't dunk a pan casing ,they're way too delicate at this stage..
Just hydrate where you can, without saturating the the myc.. The whispy surface myc helps to trap water below for fruiting, so just dribble on the bare spots...

#10 slacker

slacker

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

When you say soak do you mean dunk or just spray it down heavily? I don't see any pins yet, but should I wait untill after the first flush to do this? Currently day 6 in FC, 9th day since casing applied.

Just a good spraying so the sub is soaked. As Golly mentioned pans are too delicate for dunking.
My usual time table is that the casing is colonized in 3 or 4 days and pins appear 3 days after that. If either of these timelines is delayed it's taken as a sign that something is not to the mushrooms liking.

#11 somahawk

somahawk

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm now on day 12 or 13 and as far as I can tell its not doing much. I've been keeping the casing layer moist, humidity / fae high and temps 80-82. I'm starting to think I need to find an easier pan and better hpoo (Using dehydrated hpoo pellets).

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

Your parameters are all good..Before you give up on it ,try sprinkling a thin broken layer of H poo..It just may need some stimulation to pin..A lumpy textured surface with tiny air pockets would be helpfull..Leave out the peat..Mist gently...It's not too late yet but it's getting there...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!