• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 maynardsdick

maynardsdick

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

i dont want to hijack the thread or anything, but i 've heard of people using an ultrasonic to disperse spores. can anyone elucidate this or point me to a thread ?

#22 cat

cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

My syringe was clear as water and my germination occured textbook after 3 days at the righit temps...I really don't think its the sponsors because tehy're all very learned and sterile when it comes...I think a lot of ppl just fuck up and blame them anyways...I'm sure there are rare cases of contams with even sponsors tho, but its usually on the consumer side

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

i dont want to hijack the thread or anything, but i 've heard of people using an ultrasonic to disperse spores. can anyone elucidate this or point me to a thread ?

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3558

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3663

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3663

#24 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

I have tried twice to get spores off of the paper that they arrive on from Sporeworks.

I find it almost impossible and a big waste of time and money.

Soaking them in water first doesn't lift the spores off it just makes the paper wet. I also tried scraping the spores off with a toothpic and also with an exacto knife but almost nothing came off and the spores were just pushed into the paper.

Considering how expensive these things are it's VERY annoying. Also, I have prints for azurcens and Mexi A and am afraid that they are going to end up a bust just like the pan cyans.

#25 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:23 PM

Ok, the first post seems a little angry. Guess I'm feeling frustrated since I'm at risk of losing both the azurecen and Mexi A prints which I am really looking forward to growing.

Any help is appreciated.

#26 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

well if it is beeing that much of a PITA.. just take that exacto knife and cut a slice out of the paper
then throw that into a jar of LC or put it on agar
LOST

#27 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

Yea foaf cuts a quarter of the print off and puts it in a pouch, adds water via gallon with airport, seals. She takes the pouch and smooshes it around to get the spores from the paper into the water, lets it sit a bit, kneeds it some more, then she fills syringes from the pouch and uses those.
With this method she gets 4 pouches from each print, and each pouch she makes to hold 20-60ccs of water (depending on size and darkness of the print).

Attached Thumbnails

• ps_samuiensis_spore_pouch.jpg
  • 07_spore_pouch_with_foil.jpg
  • 08_spore_pouches.jpg
  • cr_mexpal_tc_pouches.jpg
  • print_pouches.jpg

#28 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Yea foaf cuts a quarter of the print off and puts it in a pouch, adds water via gallon with airport, seals. She takes the pouch and smooshes it around to get the spores from the paper into the water, lets it sit a bit, kneeds it some more, then she fills syringes from the pouch and uses those.
With this method she gets 4 pouches from each print, and each pouch she makes to hold 20-60ccs of water (depending on size and darkness of the print).

This is a very good method. The paper fibers become nill after dilution. I usually do the same except I use a jar and shake the livin' hell out of it several times.
Lost has a great method too!
Either way you can cut off any excess paper that does not contain spores first. Helps a little when making syringes. No point in adding extra clogs or a larger home for possible contamination.

#29 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:41 AM

Hi guys,

thanks very much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Any other methods are welcome as well.

You guys rock. :bow:

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:49 AM

ultrasound can be useful too

#31 ntrabbit

ntrabbit

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

Well, I think a foaf screwed up their most recent grow with a stupid error. After 20 jars were sterilized, a foaf used an Equadorian print to make two syringes, and innoculated the jars immediately. It has now been 12 days with no sign of growth, and a foaf thinks he botched it by not letting the spores rehydrate. I read through the archives and found that you are supposed to let the spores rehydrate for atleast 24 hours. A foaf didn't know this at the time of innoculation.

So, should my foaf just trash the whole project and start over with some new syringes, or is there a possibility that the spores will rehydrate within the jars, and start to grow at some point. Maybe just a little delay before the first sign of growth? Thanks.

#32 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:33 PM

older prints can benefit from soaking awhile ..but chances are, the brief time in the syringe solution is enough hydration..Try bringing your temp up to 80F -it may kick em off....

#33 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

it's strongly recomended

and id go ahead and redo it

#34 ntrabbit

ntrabbit

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

The spore print was about 1 and a half years old, and the spores were in the syringe for about 5 minutes before the jars were noc'ed. They have been incubating at roughly 82 deg/F for the past twelve days. The BRF/Verm jars have some water in them too, so it seems like the spores could still hydrate over time in the jars. So is there any possible chance that they could still grow?

#35 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:18 AM

I also notice the older prints like that really have to hydrate, at least for a day or two.

Lately, I've been making my syringes, and then using my aquarium pump to vibrate the syringes for a couple days to help hydrate and shake em up a bit.

A bit like Hippies Ultrasonic tek for prints and syringes.

You will probably have to reshoot the jars with the hydrated spores. Never know though, we have all seen how much they love to grow! That will be up to you whether you want to redo or not.

Best of luck!

#36 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

THe ultrasonic for prints is simply unbeatable! it kicks ass, I always throw mine in and it powders the print right off and makes the syringes proicess easy as hell. I have my prints in sterile bags, sonicate them, add 20 cc sterile water to the bag then take 20-30 syringes filled just about 1/2 to 3/4 ml short of full and suck up that much from the bag, easy and kicks ass

#37 ntrabbit

ntrabbit

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

Well, I think I will give them another week or so and see if nature can't make things work.

#38 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:32 AM

I have always placed dried spores on fresh agar. There is plenty of moisture to soak the dried spores. Sterilized grains and other media also have plenty of moisture. I have always viewed the other steps sometimes used, just open the doors for unwanted growths to enter. When growth starts, and any contaminants are seen, just re-pour hot agar again over the plate. Most all mushroom mycelium can survive this, but other growths cannot. The mycelium will grow up through the new layer of agar, and it will be clean. Snag a piece of this new surface growth and transfer it to a new plate. This information applies to all species of mushrooms.......slp/fmrc

#39 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

A second layer of hot agar, eh? This is not an idea I've heard before, but it is very interesting.

A thin layer, I would assume? How long to grow through? I'm guessing the speed of the mushroom myc would give it a big leg up on getting through.

Do you mind if I ask your thoughts on peroxidated and/or antibiotic agars as the second layer?

#40 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

"Cleaning" mycelium like Stephen mentions is a great way to get it done. You can also do the same thing with tubes of sterilized straw or wood chips (depending on the species), so Stamets says.
If you suspect that some mycelium is contaminated you can make up little tubes of straw inoculate one end and the emerging mycelium on the other end should be pretty damn clean. Take this mycelium and transfer to new substrate.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!