• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

Okay, pardon if this sounds dense, I SUCKED at biology…

I’m not understanding how growing through the agar layer or media tube is going to “clean” the mycelia. I’m guessing there is a mild “wiping” of the surface as the growth tip moves through the material, but the new mycelia is still touching the “dirty” parts.

Is the idea just to get some distance between fresh/clean growth and the contaminated areas? I guess the agar/tube would do a good job of giving you space as mycelia does grow awfully fast. I’m just not getting how this would be more beneficial than a “plain” agar plate for giving you distance from the contamination.

Again, though, maybe I’m just high. I appreciate your patience.

#42 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

Exactly. In the case stephen describes the heat from the fresly poured agar actually helps kill some of the bad guys too without damaging most of the mycelium. The case I described lets the mycelium "out run" the bad guys.

Is the idea just to get some distance between fresh/clean growth and the contaminated areas? I guess the agar/tube would do a good job of giving you space as mycelia does grow awfully fast.

It may not neccessarily be better but it is prolly a little easier, and it is simply a different way to do things.

I’m just not getting how this would be more beneficial than a “plain” agar plate for giving you distance from the contamination.

#43 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

Cool. I didn't mean to sound obnoxious with the "why is it better" comment, I just thought I was missing something. New ideas are always appreciated!

#44 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

No, it's cool. I'm glad your are interested enough to ask. :)

#45 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

the paper fibers will trigger
premie germination.
plz do not print on paper.

#46 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

Paper sucks especially when printing mushrooms with small caps or small spore loads. Most of the spores will be melded into the paper. Heavy duty foil works much better. I would think dunking the paper would greatly increase chances of contamination.

#47 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

I agree Cap'n, but the prints I have are on paper so am def'nly open to suggestions. Esp. since I haven't had much luck scraping them off with an exacto knife.

Paper sucks especially when printing mushrooms with small caps or small spore loads. Most of the spores will be melded into the paper. Heavy duty foil works much better. I would think dunking the paper would greatly increase chances of contamination.

#48 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:05 PM

Prepare yourself a jar of water in your pressure cooker to be used for preparing syringes. A shallow jar such as a 1/2 pint with a filtered lid works great for this. Measure the water content to be used in the jar with an empty syringe/per how many syringes to be used. Thus, you want to make 4 syringes, you'll need to measure out 4 or a smidge more. After you've sterilized the jar of water to be used for 20 minutes @ 15psi along with your foil wrapped syringes and foil wrapped stainless scissors for cutting the print, place the stuff in your gloove box to cool down for use. After the stuff has cooled to room temperature, you can simply cut a square or wedge out of the print large enough to fit your needs and drop it into the jar of water. Wear laytex glooves for sure when making syringes and working with open containers to be used for sterile work. Allow the paper to set for an hour or 2 in the jar to hydrate some. Then you can easily asperate a few cc's of water from the jar into a syringe to blow off the spores from the paper. You can also pin the print down with the needle tip (spores up of course) on the bottom of the jar to make it easier. They blow right off. It's very easy....

#49 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

Chill, are you working with agar? If so, just take a slice of the paper and place it face down on agar. The spores will germinate and grow out on the agar. Then you can transfer some vigorous mycelium to a new plate, grain jars or a liquid culture. If you're not working with agar, now sounds like a good time to start. I know prints are expensive, but with good agar technique,you won't ever need to worry about losing a strain / species again.

#50 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hi Lazlo and Jim.
Lazlo, I like your idea and will most likely go with that.
Jim, agar eh?
Just when I thought I'd start winding down my involvement with this little hobby (or should I say addiction) :)

#51 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

Jim, agar eh?
Just when I thought I'd start winding down my involvement with this little hobby

Now why would you want to do that. :)

#52 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Let's see...

probably because of my involvement with martial arts, dance, public speaking, playing go and the ever present desire to learn to DJ.

Sigh, I'm ready to retire right now :)

#53 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Just kiddin', I know exactly what you mean. I've hung up my cubensis hat too. Only workin with woodlovers these days. Less work, less stress, but still all the enjoyment of growing and tripping. I did the DJ thing in the late 90's, now I focus on live sound and my beautiful family.

#54 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

Lol, the Waylit way is becoming aweful tempting here as well! So little time nowadaze! (heavy sigh)

#55 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,165 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

LOL @ TCO's sig. :D

#56 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

Tattle Tale! :lol:

#57 osoloco69

osoloco69

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

I use an innoc loop and usually chill the loop in the agar so I believe that the agar picks up the spores. My P cyan from the works is doing great...as have all of the prints I have received from them. I haven't had any trouble except for a tamp syringe that I was told had a very low probablilty of germination and the reps told me before I got the syringe that they would replace it if it was bad. If you aren't good at using prints you should consider the spore syringes that they offer.

#58 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:12 PM

Tattle Tale! :lol:

:nana: .......:p

#59 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:59 PM

I am DIGGING on that pouch idea, Shobimono!!!

My FOAF is already sealing his tyvek prints in freezer grade bags with his Impulse sealer...I'm starting to think he should leave a little more space in those "pouches."

Thanks for that idea!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!