A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

Here's a tray of Pan cyans fruiting on shreddded horse manure. The manure
was spawned with BRF and the casing layer is 50/50 vermiculite and cactus mix,
with lime and gypsum added for buffer. After casing, the tray was covered
for 5 days and a nice protective layer formed on top which locked in moisture but
still allowed the mushrooms to pop on thru. This project is multispore and the fruits
are about 3-4 days old. This strain is from Suphanburi, Thailand and is known as Goliath. ;)

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0340.JPG
  • DSCN0337.JPG
  • DSCN0335.JPG
  • DSCN0339.JPG
  • DSCN0347.JPG
  • DSCN0342.JPG

#2 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

And here's some updated pics, all grown up. ;)

http://mycotopia.net...42&d=1129248370

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0360.JPG
  • DSCN0380.JPG
  • DSCN0379.JPG
  • DSCN0377.JPG
  • DSCN0378.JPG
  • DSCN0373.JPG
  • DSCN0367.JPG
  • DSCN0372.JPG
  • DSCN0365.JPG
  • DSCN0366.JPG
  • DSCN0358.JPG
  • DSCN0352.JPG
  • DSCN0355.JPG

• PolarDBN likes this

#3 laborer

laborer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

Nice waylit. Hope someday I can get a flush that looks like those :D

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

Holy CRAP!!!!!! Those are amazing!!!! Very nice flush waylit!!!!! :D Yummy!

#5 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

Wowzers! You rock them suckas Waylit!! Woot...woot...woot!!!!!!!! :D

#6 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,747 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

how are they humidified? Open air?

#7 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

how are they humidified? Open air?

They were kept in a greenhouse which stayed warm and humid with lots of fresh air.The humidifier is set to run every other hour for one hour. Air exchange is provided with an air pump and tubing which directs fresh air to the different shelves of the greenhouse.

#8 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:58 PM

Extremely good lookin fruits there, Jim. Congrats!

#9 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:48 PM

Cool! It's the type of yield I am shooting for now! I just started up my LC from spores. It is a 4% dextrose/light malt solution that is being continuously stirred at around 150 RPM (slower than cubes which I typically use closer to 400 to 600 RPM) and incubated by strict controls at 82-84F. Attached is a picture from today, day 3 since innoculation.

But I am worried about it. Unlike my cubensis liquid cultures of the past, this culture seems to just be a cloudy mixture where the cloud is getting denser. But cubensis cultures always had "snowflakes" in them. Should I expect aggregates to eventually form for Pan Cyans or not?

Attached Thumbnails

• pclc.jpg

#10 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:10 AM

Should I expect aggregates to eventually form for Pan Cyans or not?

I'm not sure Bluehelix, I've had Pan cyan LC's form a pancake on the surface. I prefer to work with agar slurry rather then LC, easier with less guess work imo. My method is to isolate various substrains on agar, and test them by shooting sterlie water onto the agar plates. The water is mixed with the mycelium using the needle tip, and sucked back into the syringe. Mycelium water is an excellent inoculant and colonizes any substrate extremely fast. One of the many benefits is that you can see bacteria and other contams before it's too late. Isolating good strains on agar is a good way to increase yeilds, but this project shows how multispore is not always inferior to isolates. Especially with Goliath. ;)

#11 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:46 AM

I have worked a lot with agar in years past. After trying a liquid culture, though, I will never go back to agar except to purify a culture that is make from spores from outside.

A liquid culture constantly stirred achieves the kind of mycelium density and reactivity that is otherwise impossible with blended agar plates and it happens in DAYS not weeks like with agar. Using a couple ml of cubensis liquid culture as the inoculate, one can make a finished liter of liquid culture in about 4 to 5 days--try that with agar. Innoculate with around 140ml (one large syringe full) in a large 6-pound spawn bag, and you'll see what fast means. It's done in 7 days or less, every time. And the whole process is nearly contamination proof since you start in a syringe and end in a spawn bag all without anything touching contaminated air. If you do it like I do, there is no need for a clean room, a glove box, or anything else and from start to first flush pulling pounds and pounds of mushrooms is about four weeks with cubes. You can practically do it in your moldy basement if you want.

I have used LC for Shiitake, cubensis, and Panellus stipticus. These panaeolus act so far like panellus stipticus with really super weak mycellium growth in the LC. Cubes by day three practically make a snowstorm in a continuous-stirred, incubated live culture. In a about a week, cubensis makes a slushy if you do it right. I guess I'll just wait and see. I am guessing it's fine.

Either this is just one of those weak myceliums, or the spores are just taking awhile to get going. I expect the spores to have germinated and be on their way by tomorrow, day 4. If I don't see some changes in the next three days, something is wrong and I'd best just start over.

#12 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:52 AM

I took another close look at the LC tonight. It seems to finally be starting to "snow" in there. I guess the slowness was just that I started with spores this time, which I have never done with a liquid culture. Before, I always started with live cultures in a vacutainer.

I hope it goes fast from here out. I'd like to see it done in the next five days. I'll keep you updated.

#13 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

That is a great grow of Goliath with the exact same aspect to the cap as seen in the original Spore Works material. I am curious to the cap diameter of your largest mushroom. MJshroomer has grown a Golaith over 5 cms in this shroomery post and so far has the bragging rights for largest cyan ever. The sparse fruiting of MJshroomer's attempt probably lead to the exceptionally large individuals. Dense fruitings tend to result in somewhat smaller mushrooms. I've found the sporulation of this strain is exceptionally good and was one of the factors considered when this strain was selected for retail.

Attached Thumbnails

• 830442498-copeinvitro7abc.jpg
  • 778544257-thumb_copesuphanburi1.jpg

#14 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Workman! ;)
That is a terrific complement coming from you.
Your work with cyans has been inspiring, to say the least.

Goliath is such a nice strain to work with. One of our members
compared it's ease of fruiting to cubensis, I'd have to agree.
A few caps were very close to 2 inches wide, but the average was about 1.5" I'll break out the measuring tape next time to see if I can break t MJ's record LOL

Ps...fellow Topiates - I sent a bunch of Goliath prints to Hip for our 5th Annual Freakers Ball So get those raffle tickets now.

#15 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

I've found the sporulation of this strain is exceptionally good and was one of the factors considered when this strain was selected for retail.

You're not kidding! :)

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0256.JPG

#16 rockawayrooms

rockawayrooms

Hash Pipe Harry

• Expired Member
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

WOW

That is really something Jim,thx fer sharing that with us!!!!

#17 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:56 AM

My maximum cap size was 4.5cm or 13/4ins ...the larger caps are never the tallest ime but occasionally close to 4 ins ...I am more certain than ever that goliath is the "next big thing"... I love em....I have yet to hear anyone elses comments on the potency -i only had one other pan strain to compare with and found goliath to be about equal to that....

#18 gema

gema

XPLORER

• Expired Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

I took another close look at the LC tonight. It seems to finally be starting to "snow" in there. I guess the slowness was just that I started with spores this time, which I have never done with a liquid culture. Before, I always started with live cultures in a vacutainer.

I hope it goes fast from here out. I'd like to see it done in the next five days. I'll keep you updated.

Hi Bluehelix, I've got a 7 day old lc of pan cyan Goliath that I'm going to knock up some jars of WBS tonight with. Good call on the stirrer. It works wonders. Attached files of lc show a nice flaky healthy myc that was stirred for at least 3 hours/day and kept at ~84 degrees. I'll keep you posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• goli_lc_3.jpg
  • Goli_lc_1.jpg
  • Goli_lc_2.jpg

#19 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:14 AM

gema, thanks for signing on this site and letting me see your Goliath LC! That's exactly the info I was looking for! Did you start that current LC with a print or more LC?

I am glad the stirrer is working out for you too. I don't know if the print that I got is Goliath or not, but I wrote my source last night to ask. I hope it is Goliath because the pictures that waylitjim is showing here look absolutely gorgeous and I'd be super happy if it works out like that for me. :greenboun

The pan cyan LC I got going is 5 days old now and looks reasonably strong for that age coming from spores. It's not real flaky but rather has small ragged balls in it at this point. It looks something like the Shiitake do at this stage, which is a good sign since that's really strong mycelium. Mine might not be a flaky yet for any number of reasons, but I'm not too worried about it anymore.

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

i can no longer see workman's pix even though i'm logged in at shroomery,
wonder wtf ???:gah:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!