62 replies to this topic

#21 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

Hip, I uploaded the pics to his post so you can see them.

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

thx

#23 gema

gema

XPLORER

• Expired Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

gema, thanks for signing on this site and letting me see your Goliath LC! That's exactly the info I was looking for! Did you start that current LC with a print or more LC?

I am glad the stirrer is working out for you too. I don't know if the print that I got is Goliath or not, but I wrote my source last night to ask. I hope it is Goliath because the pictures that waylitjim is showing here look absolutely gorgeous and I'd be super happy if it works out like that for me. :greenboun

Bluehelix, I started the lc from a syringe I got from Sporeworks. Im really pumped to start working with Goliath. I do intend to document my progress and starting a grow log when the time comes. I agree that waylitjim's work with the Goliath strain has been very inspirational!

#24 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

I'll have to try multispore next time I give this species a whirl. Last time, I isolated strains right down to single sectors which is great for cubes, but every single isolate of the pans was a piss poor fruiting strain.:eusa_booh Those look great! We'll be going out of town for the next month, so all fungi projects will have to wait until late fall/early winter.
RR

#25 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

My LC seems to be coming along fast now. I can see major differences every 8 hours or so. I attached a picture of it now (day 5).

Attached Thumbnails

• pclc5.jpg

#26 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

BlueHelix, what type of stir plate setup do you use?
Is it homemade or purchased, also how do you incubate the LC?
Thanks for any info on you LC technique.

#27 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

waylitjim, the stir plate is Fisher Scientific Isotemp 7"x7" plate model. It's like the attached picture but larger. It is a non-heating ceramic-top plate that magnetically stirs from 60 to 1200 RPM. It's also totally silent. You can get that kind of thing on Ebay for about $40.

I am also using reflective bubble wrap on the bottom and wrapping the jar with it too. I control temperature via a controller that is connected to a heat bulb. It turns on and off keeping the temp around 84F. This part is totally not necessary and I did it just because I had the stuff around.

The liquid culture I am using is a 4% (by weight) sugar solution, 2% light malt plus 2% dextrose. About 500ml was loaded into the quart container you see there. On top I put a metal lid with a "breather" hole about the size of a penny in the center and a tiny 1/4" injection hole about 1/2" from the edge. Those holes were covered with cloth medical tape. That is placed on the jar covered with a filter disc (like those sold at Fungi Perfecti). And a metal band over all of it. I pressure cook the solution for 25 minutes and allow to cool.

Inoculation was carried out in non-sterile conditions. I just take off the band, slide back the filter disc just enough to reveal the tiny injection hole, inject a couple ml of spore solution or liquid culture through the cloth tape, and replace everything.

The solution is developing now. That should be done in 7 days I figure from the current rate. When it is done, I'll use 140 mls per large spawn bag (the amount my syringe can hold), and inject through a piece of support tape I have on the bag. Immediately after the inject, I'll hot-glue over the hole and mix the bag up.

I don't actually spawn with what's in the bag; rather, the bag contains the fruiting substrate, which for Pan Cyans will be a mix of rye grass seed and some sort of fancy manure/compost stuff (in this case some patented formula that Agar of the Shroomery is working on going commercial).

This is my first time with pan cyans, so I am very excited about it!

Attached Thumbnails

• isotherm.jpg

#28 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:08 PM

Thanks! Great info, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. ;)

#29 Guest_xxxsevxxx_*

Guest_xxxsevxxx_*

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:22 AM

thats super fly my brother !!!!
im feeling kinda ok so all be posting some pics very soon .

#30 red_lenses

red_lenses

Pandoras Box Is Open

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

JIM,
Where did your pan grow tek go ?

#31 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

Here ya go.... Waylit's Pan cyan Tek

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=5101

#32 red_lenses

red_lenses

Pandoras Box Is Open

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:47 PM

What temp is best for inc. / fruiting of these?

#33 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

Pans like it a bit warmer then cubs:
Incubation & Spawn run - 79-84°F (room temp just takes longer)
Cropping - 75-80° F with relative humidity @ 85-92%

#34 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:12 PM

:eusa_droo :bow:

I'm so happy there is a drool smiley :) :eusa_droo

I love these goliath strain. Very nice.

#35 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:17 PM

Wipe off your chin Freaky lol ;)

#36 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

Just an update that my Pan Cyan LC was used on day 7. I guess it just got off to a slow start. The speed wasn't nearly as fast as cubes but decent. Picture is attached of it on day 7 right before I used it.

Attached Thumbnails

• pclc7.jpg

#37 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

"After casing, the tray was covered for 5 days and a nice protective layer formed on top which locked in moisture but still allowed the mushrooms to pop on thru."

What kind of covering was that? I can't think of what could cover the tray and lock in moisture yet allow the mushrooms to pop through except a casing, but it looks like what you used was some sort of plastic.

#38 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

wow that LC looks crazy...
i'll bet it's gonna work wonders..:)

#39 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

overlay? thats what i assumed, but now that u mention it blue, the casing does look awful shiny.

#40 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:29 PM

What kind of covering was that?

After the casing layer was applied, the tray was covered in aluminum foil with a few holes were poked for air exchange. After 5 days, the foil was removed and fruting began 1 week later. 5 days is a bit overkill, (I was out of town) but I always cover post casing for 2 -3 days. This keeps the moisture locked in, and gives the mycelium a chance to recover. Once the foil is removed, fruits form in 5-7 days, and the pinset is stronger.

Ps...Your LC looks great ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!