• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 grimes390

grimes390

Pain is just a Sensation

• Expired Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hey just wandering if I should get hippies 1/2 pint pf jars WITH or WITHOUT the inner resevoirs? I would think the resevoirs would be better as they hold water...But wanna see what you guys think.

THanks

#2 hungryjim

hungryjim

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

I'd use the rez with either home-made jars or Hips...just my opinion.-Best of luck to you!!!--HJ

#3 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

Go with the inner resevoir.

#4 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

Not sure. Would be cool to see a side by side comparison. I would think that would would get more shrooms from without rez cakes, being the substrate is more.

#5 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'd use the rez with either home-made jars or Hips...just my opinion.-Best of luck to you!!!--HJ

I totally agree ....you rock hungryjim:headbang:

#6 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

The IR tek for jars is a kick ass tek cause you water goes into the middle of the cake and soaks the entire cake verus dunking since the water has to soak through the outside to the middle. And it seems to produce better flushs casue you can just fill the res up and let it flush again till its spent.

The Inner reservoir tek
The cakes are regular 1/2 pint low form canning jar size. The shrooms are the Mazatec, Treasure Coast (see below) and PF
Classic spore races from PF.

To do this is extremely easy. Everything is done standard PF TEK and when the substrate is loaded into the jar, use the end of
a pen (a "sharpie" ink pen is perfect) and insert it into the middle of the substrate and make a hole all the way to the bottom.

Any rod no more than 1/2 inch around is good for making the hole. A proper sized wooden dowel can be bought at any
hardware store for cheap. If the substrate collapses around the hole or if the hole doesn't keep its shape, that means the
substrate is to dry. Properly wet substrate works easy and the hole does not collapse.

Fill the jar with dry verm, proceed as usual and inoculate as usual. When the cake is birthed, inject 10cc of sterile water into
the inner reservoir through the top (previously the bottom of the cake invitro).

This is more proof, that casing PF style cakes is not what makes a great PF style fruiting, but the water that is made available
to the mycelium. Many beginner cultivators that experience great success with casing cakes, usually credit the casing mixture.
But here is a fruiting that equals any cased cake, without a casing. It is the water that does it in conjunction with the potent
fruiting potential of PF substrate.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1217638092

Treasure Coast shrooms - PF style with inner reservoir tek. The cakes are sitting on moist regular potting soil (peat moss - perlite and vermiculite mixtures).

inner resevoir TEK using the Hawaiian spore race shroom.

Mazatec fruiting - PF style - 1/2 pint with the inner reservoir tek. The shrooms are all growing from the lower vermiculite layer
(upper contaminant barrier when invitro).

Mazatec fruiting - the cake is still bright white with this first flush. Without the innver reservoir, the cake would be blueish
(natural drying process - caused by water transpiration from the fungi).

Info that was pasted here was taken from the Magic Mushrooms Growers Guide Updated version. Of Course your results may vary depending on fruting conditions and other enviromental varibles but, IMO the IR tek is clearly a better way than dunking. Also if one take the proper sterlity with water and syringes then you shouldn't have a problem with contamns

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

#7 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

That first picture wasn't too impressive, but the last 3, well they look just lovely. I will have to give this a shot with my next op. I will do a side by side comparison with 12 of each. I would like to see the time frames, amounts of flushes, total dry weight. If you only got 2 flushes with the rez versus 5 without (I'm not saying this is so, just using it as an example) but the total dry weight was about the same and took a lot less time to do 2 flushes than 5, I would stick to this tek for my cakes from there on out. There's so many ways to grow shrooms...... I'm gonna try em all. :headbang:

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

that's a verbatim ripped off quote from PF himself,
who never liked the dunk tek,
but he's dead-wrong.
not about the IR tek working,
it does.
but it's not superior to dunking, by far.
at mycrotopia
ordinary cakes out-sell IR cakes by 4 or 5 to 1 margin.
IR is ok for use when you only have a few cakes under
hand-care, when injecting water isn't too big a burden.
but very quickly as cake numbers increase
the extra time and effort needed to inject
enough water into each cake's IR
makes it burdensome, imo .
even on a good day
you'll never get the boost from injecting that dunking gives,
of course cakes with an IR can still be dunked
for even more water.

#9 grimes390

grimes390

Pain is just a Sensation

• Expired Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

Since I dont have the option of dunking anyways( I cant put em in my fridge over night) The IR is better? So lemme make sure I am correct on this...After the first flush..you take cakes out..get shrooms off ext...instead of dunking you just inject 10cc of water into the resevoir and put back in jar thats it? If so thats perfect for me.

Thanks guys

#10 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:51 AM

Since I dont have the option of dunking anyways( I cant put em in my fridge over night) The IR is better? So lemme make sure I am correct on this...After the first flush..you take cakes out..get shrooms off ext...instead of dunking you just inject 10cc of water into the resevoir and put back in jar thats it? If so thats perfect for me.

Thanks guys

Thats it man simple as that just make sure you use sterlize water and use proper sterlizing teks for the injection syringe and you'll be fine

#11 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:10 AM

You don't have to use a fridge to dunk. You can put them in a large pickle jar or tupperware container or anything like that and just keep at room temperature. You can add ice to the water if you want. You can also change the water every 8 hours if that will give you more peace of mind. I have dunked many times without the use of a refrigerator with no problems, even though it is recommended to use a fridge if possible. I didn't change my water either. They can even be dunked in the jars they are in (I prefer to dunk in a seperate jar though).

I think even if you go with a reservoir, you should still figure out a way that you will be able to dunk.

#12 grimes390

grimes390

Pain is just a Sensation

• Expired Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:24 AM

I think I am going to order the resevoir and do a 50/50 log with it. Gonna inject half of em with 10cc water and dunk the other half and see which does better. Thanks for all your help guys!!!!

#13 grimes390

grimes390

Pain is just a Sensation

• Expired Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:31 AM

also will I want to inject em with 10cc water after full colonization?

#14 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:34 AM

also will I want to inject em with 10cc water after full colonization?

Yes right after birthing and after each flush.

#15 grimes390

grimes390

Pain is just a Sensation

• Expired Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yes right after birthing and after each flush.

I wont be birthing, This will be pure invitro. Hippies myco invitro tek

#16 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

I wont be birthing, This will be pure invitro. Hippies myco invitro tek

With Hippies Invitro Tek you will still be birthing. I know that he as well as others recommend removing the cake from the jar once it is fully colonized and you're ready to remove the verm barrier, to loosen it up a little. It's an extremely tight fit and it's best to remove the cake, even if only for a second. It'll make things a lot easier and make it easier to get the cake out in the end also. At the very least slide the cake out an inch. The best way to do this is to hit the rim of the jar on a wooden door frame or 2X4 or your wood deck etc...

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

no need to completely remove the verm,

and no need to remove lid until harvesting 1st flush.
but the extra air does improve growth rate.

#18 grimes390

grimes390

Pain is just a Sensation

• Expired Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:33 AM

Thanx guys for clearing that up. I definitly want to do everything I can to make my fruit as good and plentiful as I can.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!