Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Why You Shouldn't Talk To Police(MERGED)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

Some useful information from a law professor and a police officer:

Loose lips can get you arrested or, why you shouldn't talk to the police
POSTED August 4, 11:02 AM
So, the police are investigating a crime, and in the course of their investigation, they come to chat with you about what you know or may have seen. You've done nothing wrong, so you have no objections to sitting down with the investigating officers and telling what little you may know. But the questioning becomes more intense, you find yourself stumbling over facts that don't seem important to you, but have the police pricking up their ears. And suddenly you realize that you're not just a helpful witness; now you're a suspect.

What did you do wrong?

The answer, unfortunately, is that you talked yourself into trouble -- yes, even innocent people can do that. You've probably heard that before from your paranoid brother-in-law, or a lawyer friend, but you didn't do anything. Who would have believed that your life could be turned upside down by a few words?

Prof. James Duane of the Regent University School of Law is one of the people who does believe that loose lips sink ... well, not ships, but reputations and even lives. In an engaging and lively 27-minute lecture (I know, I know -- but it's worth watching), without assuming any malice on the part of the police, he explains just how you can talk yourself into trouble, and why you shouldn't talk to the police at all when suspicion wanders in your direction.

i8z7NC5sgik

Note an important issue addressed early in the video: There are now so many laws on the books that even the government can't tell you the number. The chance that you unknowingly broke a law or two is very high -- as is the likelihood that you just may confess to a crime that you never knew existed.
But Prof. Duane is a lawyer -- and an academic one at that. What do the police themselves think of the wisdom of spilling your guts in an interview with law-enforcement officers? Well, as it so happens, in the very same classroom, just after Prof. Duane finishes, Officer George Bruch of the Virginia Beach Police Department steps up to the podium and says ... well ... that Prof. Duane is basically right. In fact, Officer Bruch fills in a lot of important details about how people get themselves into trouble. Watch and learn.

08fZQWjDVKE

http://www.examiner....k-to-the-police
  • Cornfield likes this

#2 jjc175

jjc175

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

Please check out "Busted: A citizen's guide to surviving police encounters." This guide shows you how to exercise your legal rights without getting abused by the police.

yqMjMPlXzdA.

Edited by Sidestreet, 16 February 2011 - 10:38 AM.
embedded youtube

#3 thatgreenthumb

thatgreenthumb

Mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

I saw this the other day. I thought it was very well put together though he does talk extremely fast.
God bless the fifth amendment!

#4 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

This Piece dovetails nicely with

The Prisoner's Dilema

Basically examines the snitch or not to snitch senario

#5 booma

booma

Myconoob

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

I don't know if anyone else uses StumbleUpon, but I am kind of addicted to it.
Here is a page I recently Stumbled Upon that I think is pretty relevant to the general population (at least US citizens) This lawyer makes a good point.
Don't talk to cops.
Just don't.
http://www.davehitt....-to-the-police/
He talks very fast and can be hard to follow, but I think it's worth a look
  • dial8 and mimosadmtastronaut like this

#6 mimosadmtastronaut

mimosadmtastronaut

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Nice. thanks for the stumble.... god how many hours ive wasted on stumbleupon... +rep

#7 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,979 posts

Donator

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

This has been posted here a few times:

http://mycotopia.net...alk-police.html

#8 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

Tell the cop to give you the "Meranda warning"
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?

Then ask them what part after "silent" dont you understand.

#9 RamblinRose

RamblinRose

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Nice post, thanks!

#10 Kioshoa

Kioshoa

FungusDreamer.

• Expired Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

"You probably Won't get your ass kicked by the Po-lice". xD
:eusa_clap

#11 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

This has been posted here a few times:

http://mycotopia.net...alk-police.html

Yup, and I moved this to R&R, but I'm too lazy to merge :lol:

#12 johndenver

johndenver

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

I forgot the guy's name but there is a former cop who does like a video series called (I think) "Don't Get Busted." It's mainly about pot and growrooms but coming from a cop's perspective there is a lot of useful shit about driving and being profiled that most cops just won't tell you. If someone found the link to what I'm talking about please post it because I can't find it.

#13 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:34 PM

I forgot the guy's name but there is a former cop who does like a video series called (I think) "Don't Get Busted." It's mainly about pot and growrooms but coming from a cop's perspective there is a lot of useful shit about driving and being profiled that most cops just won't tell you. If someone found the link to what I'm talking about please post it because I can't find it.

His name is Barry cooper

lvOaoTE9xQM

#14 johndenver

johndenver

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

His name is Barry cooper

lvOaoTE9xQM

Thank you mycowarrier!!

#15 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,500 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

"I want a laywer!" that's all they get haha

#16 booma

booma

Myconoob

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:47 AM

it just baffles me to think that someone would brag about how much smarter they are than then cops to the cops face...
'im much more clever than you, youll never find out that i sell my stolen goods over here.... wait a second...."
  • ethnobotanist420 likes this

#17 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,979 posts

Donator

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

What's even more baffling is the fact that people have the right to remain silent, the cops even tell you that, and yet most don't seem to have the ability.

#18 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Very good post. I like it a lot. I was wanting to hear what the police officer had to say. I suppose he agreed with everything the first speaker said. :lol:

#19 booma

booma

Myconoob

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:13 AM

i think it was interesting how he decided to detail his methods. how he got people to talk. how he said he can lie to people. im kind of at a loss as to why anyone claiming they were innocent would agree to write an 'apology letter' to the people they supposedly never wronged. maybe i have more sense than the average criminal. maybe that cop is incredibly persuasive. maybe its a combination of that and the fact that being in an 'interview' room fucks with your head. who knows? the way i see it, these idiots are paving the way for me, showing me what not to do if im (heaven forbid) ever picked up.

#20 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,979 posts

Donator

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

Yup, and I moved this to R&R, but I'm too lazy to merge :lol:

Took my longe enough but I got the Freaky.

MERGED
  • Freaky likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!