Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:30 AM

*Update*

Cardboard Cloner 2.0 beta released

I came up with an upgrade for the above tek. I think it will work well and am just trying for the first time.

The goal of this new version is to make a "fast turnover clone cake" by using a variation on the methods above. It is hoped that this will work particularly with cubensis.

This is a brief overview that will be expanded on and merged with the tek if all goes well.

List of things needed:

1/2 pint jars
Card board discs (see top post)
Clone material
BRF (brown rice flour)
Vermiculite
Breathable lid
PC or steamer

Procedures:

Unlike the last version the cardboard goes last here. First goes a touch of verm to catch any extra moisture , then BRF/V mix. On top goes 2 double sets of moistened corregated cardboard. The top inch is left unfilled.

Posted Image

Wipe the top inch with paper towel to get any remnant brf off the glass. Insert the two soaked double layers of cardboard and gently tamp down.PC for approx 60 mins at 15 psi and cool.

In glovebox open jar lid and pry up one double layer of cardboard and place the clone material you "scraped" from the inner stalk in between. Replace top cardboard disc , lightly tamp and replace lid.

Posted Image

Now there is a small 1/2 inch gap between the top cardboard and the top of the jar for a small bit of air.

Posted Image

Soon the clone chunk will grow into the cardboard and then at its earliest convience into the BRF. Once colonized you birth the cakes and you have an instant crop of clones , or you spawn those cakes on to bulk projects.

There can also be a variation on this tek where you use wbs in this same manner of food first , cardboard on top.

The tek can be done either way , but this way is very practical for birthing clone cakes in a short time.

Any comments appreciated. I'll keep you posted with results good or bad. As always please try this at home and co-create this tek with me.

cheers

H

Attached Thumbnails

• newcard3.JPG
  • newcard1.JPG
  • newcard2.JPG

#22 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Just before I went to bed late last night I finished all of the above , turned out the light and then had a bright idea. Flipped the light back on and tried something new.

Got the notion to blend some cardboard chunks up in water. Poured that cardboard pulp into a metal strainer and drained. Helped draining along by pushing with a spoon.

This cardboard pulp material looks good. Might have a bunch of good applications. I tried a few different things and noticed it can be squeezed into many shapes like a cake or puck.

When I squeezed the extra water out the pulp goes back to flaky "wet cardboard" like consistency. I busted it apart with my fingers and it looked kind of like cardboard popcorn chunks.

I laid some verm down in a jar and then a layer of the "cardboard shred". On top of that I put some clone chunk and then topped with more masicated cardboard shred. Then a lid.

Posted Image

I like the look and feel of the blended/drained cardboard. Another use I thought of was placing the cardboard pulp on top of the BRF jars above to replace the discs.

By doing this it would eliminate the larger air pockets that can form between the disc layers. When the jar that comes out of the PC is opened there is a layer of cardboard pulp there and that makes it easy to shove a chunk of clone material down into.

Anyhow , just experimenting. I'll take some pictures of this.

Attached Thumbnails

• cardgrain1.jpg

#23 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

The above post is fairly useless , a result of getting stoned. :rasta:

*edit* Well wait a minute , the clone chunk is getting fluffy in this jar ...

#24 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

Pretty novel way to turn a tissue sample into a cake!

My only concern would be in the contam risk of opening the BRF jar. If you made the cardboard a tight fit for the jar, it would probably help. A tiny bit of stuff that would germinate on BRF might not grow on cardboard.

Also, if you leave some headspace in the jar (maybe use pints) you could visually inspect the cardboard to watch for contams as the myc grew.

You could also peel the cardboard circle off the cake once it was colonized to start something else.

Some interesting stuff, man.

#25 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the input BB.

I feel like things are coming together on this project. I really want to try this add-on method with wbs , for a bunch of reasons ... contams being one of them.

The reason I made this one for BRF is so that it could become a cake that you could easily birth. One mushroom clone could make a dozen clone jars , which would quickly become a dozen clone cakes...

I love this site !

PS: I do all transfers in a clean glovebox. All shots of open jars are for open air for ease of photo. hehe

#26 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

im doing pans this way tomorrow dude my others aint looking so well.

#27 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:28 PM

Livewire ...

Did you "fluff" your clone chunk first ?

http://mycotopia.net...g-question.html

I think it really can help as a first step , then into the cardboard.

#28 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

Great info. I was thinking about doing a cardboard clone earlier today, upon finding some Chicken of the Woods and Reishi growing out back.

Ever knocked up sterile cardboard with spores yet? I've been reading about it in a couple of books and it looks like even cubes will take to it...

#29 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

If you get a chance maybe try a setup like in this thread. I think its easiest if you have wbs on hand to put it in first , then the soaked cardboard disks leaving some space for air at the top. Later
as BB mentioned you can remove the cardboard discs and use them to inoculate another jar or project and then you would have access for a G2G.

Will be interesting to see how those species take to the cardboard and how quickly they spread to and through the wbs.

Post up results if you try this. Also you might want to try setting a chunk of each stem/stalk in a plastic baggy for 24 to 48 hours and see if it gets fuzzy with mycelium. You might not have to do that , but it may help.

Best of luck.

#30 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:03 PM

If you get a chance maybe try a setup like in this thread. I think its easiest if you have wbs on hand to put it in first , then the soaked cardboard disks leaving some space for air at the top.

Colonize the cardboard first, then put it on top of the WBS, essentially spawning from the cardboard OR WBS then the clone material sandwiched (but not yet colonized) between the two pieces of cardboard?

I think I will go and get some good tissue sample of both of my aforementioned medicinal mushrooms tomorrow and give it a shot alongside of direct spore injection to moist sterilized cardboard. While I think that a woodlovers strain (which I neither have nor had the chance to work with) would work better in terms of psychedelic mushrooms, it could work as a decent spawn material to WBS for the typical dunglovers. Due to it's relatively low nutritional content, I project it as being a very slow colonization from spore, however, I figure that it could be also (due to the same) be more resistant to trich. Supplementation to cardboard could expedite colonization, with say Karo or a squirt of sterile Agar solution, but it could also bring about a great opportunity to contams. I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to do one or two of each, however...

#31 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

Theres two way to do it ... cardboard first , add the clone chunk , colonize then add PC'd wbs in a glovebox.

Or wbs first 3/4's the way up with the cardboard discs on top of that. You PC and then open in gb and slip clone chunk between the cardboard discs.

Either way you have clone master of your species.

#32 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Going with the first method above, attempting to clone Turkey Tail... which, btw, is a real bitch to get sterile meat from w/o tearing into the other side. Also going with a modified version from cube spores (ksss) to cardboard at the same time, both began last night.

#33 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

Also you might want to try setting a chunk of each stem/stalk in a plastic baggy for 24 to 48 hours and see if it gets fuzzy with Mycelium .

Did you get a chance to try the above ? Can't overstate how helpful that can be.

#34 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Did you get a chance to try the above ? Can't overstate how helpful that can be.

Damn, thanks for reminding me. The Turkey Tail was sampled during a hike yesterday, but I have the Chickens and Reishi out back that I will try the above technique. I also found a massive "clump" of white jelly slime fungus. It lives up to its name, too, was wondering about giving it a shot for the helluvit.

#35 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

Either of you try starting a clone from a "bag fuzzed" sample? Kinda interested to see if it helps.

#36 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

I'm trying this right now and it is helping in my opinion but ... the strain of cubensis I have going is retardily slow. :eusa_wall

I have some LC's of various stages and strains so hopefully very soon i'll have something better to work with. Trying to resurrect redboy which be awesome because its very fast.

I kinda jumped the gun with the cubensis part of this tek , especially the opening the BRF jars part, but i'm still working out some bugs and have some good ideas brewing.

Thanks for the feedback.

#37 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hey Hyph... just checking in before I forget. The Turkey Tail is successful spawning the cardboard disks as per your tek, the mycelium is working it's way through. It went a bit slower than I expected before I noticed anything (about a week), but that could be due to the mushroom itself. Cooking up some WBS now to feed it. Hoping for some success.

#38 yiggityyoyo

yiggityyoyo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

nice write up. So is this mainly for wood loving species? I'm curious why one wouldn't just put the clone directly into the grain and skip the cardboard. Or mix bits of the cardboard in with the grain to start with.

#39 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

you dont have to use the grain at all. i think the grain addition was for g2g. could be wrong though

#40 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

You get way less contams on cardboard then on grain. Plus if the specimin is wild then your best bet is to start with cardboard as a first step in cleaning it up.

Its not really possible to flip a piece of cubensis as a clone chunk into grain unless its a really fast colonizing strain.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!