34 replies to this topic

#21 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

Where can a foaf find some tex prints????

only 3 people have this tex strain. i gave away all prints so far. ill try taking more.

#22 ez_goin

ez_goin

Eager Student

• Expired Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

Great thread and awesome pics :headbang::bow:

#23 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

IMHO, dunking is the only way to guarantee great 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even 4th flushes. Many times it is possible to bring out a 2nd flush just as even and full as the first flush when the tray is dunked.

Some variation of this tek is one that everyone who cases should use.

#24 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

Is there still a debate within this community on the benefits of dunking?

#25 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

Is there still a debate within this community on the benefits of dunking?

no just testing it out. for verification. i hate the arguments so i try keeping a record. that way, if someone shouts, you can simply post a few pics and stop an argument. don't get me wrong i like doing it all, dunking, casings, no casing. you name it. i just try all methods. and i agree with you 100% on everything you said.

#26 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

I feel bad for that sad cake. Looks like it wanted to produce, just couldn't. Lots of pins and then nothing. Nice experiment and pictures. :eusa_clap

#27 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

I feel bad for that sad cake. Looks like it wanted to produce, just couldn't. Lots of pins and then nothing. Nice experiment and pictures. :eusa_clap

the sad thing was that initially it had a big pinset. but once the casing was misted a few times the fruits completely covered the casing. so misting was much more difficult after this.

now, it might be different if the casing had coarse or medium grade verm in it. this fine verm chokes out casing layers for some reason. not to happy with it.

#28 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Posted Image

This photo I had to nominate for pic of the month! :bow: I like it!

#29 sic

sic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

eatyualive: did you flip the sub after dunking or keep it right side up for the 2nd flush?

Thanks for sharing the pics and info!

#30 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

eatyualive: did you flip the sub after dunking or keep it right side up for the 2nd flush?

Thanks for sharing the pics and info!

no, the casing surface was blasted with a sink spray nozzle then dunked for 8-12 hours.

the casing was just misted regular like a normal casing.

#31 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

[quote name='eatyualive']no, the casing surface was blasted with a sink spray nozzle then dunked for 8-12 hours.
/QUOTE]

This is a good idea. Ive done this on occasion. It breaks up the surface a bit without tearing it to shreds. There is some old tek about loosening the casing with a fork. This somewhat accomplishes that goal without tearing the casing to shreds...and it also hydrates it. Its a good method.

#32 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

Let me note one other thing....

A sink sprayer has a really high pressure that will blast the casing everywhere. A garden sprayer works better.

#33 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

Let me note one other thing....

A sink sprayer has a really high pressure that will blast the casing everywhere. A garden sprayer works better.

agreed it does work just like scratching the surface. there is no casing being used in this case. ive done it with casings, you just have to lower the water pressure. it works well. just don't turn the sink up full blast.

although flooding casings seems to work as well.

#34 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

Another option Id suggest is simply placing the casing under a bathtub faucet. It will fill the tray quickly. The casing will be floating in a couple of seconds.

#35 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,501 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

The pins and mushrooms in the sad bin really did look kind of depressed... lol

Great thread btw! I'm always messing with things too, almost never doing it the same way twice. One of my more intriguing 'experiments' was really a complete screwup that left me with some interesting results.

I'd just rigged up an ultrasonic to some pipes that fed a few bins, tested it out, and it fully saturated the clear bins with fog in about 2 minutes. Cool.

Next I grabbed some cased trays that were ready for the FC (the casing layer was about halfway colonized) and I noticed one had the dreaded sour apple smell. Not cool. It was very slight, so I decided to see if I could squeeze a flush from it anyway and put it in a bin. I plugged in the ultrasonic and it started fogging up the bins while I set up a timer to run for 5 minutes every hour. It was almost midnight by then so I went to bed.

When I got up and checked on the bins I noticed I'd left the humidifier plugged directly in to the extension cord (I forgot to plug it into the timer) so it'd been running constantly for 7 hours. It looked like about 3 quarts of water had been used from the humidifier reservoir. I'd added a bunch of peroxide to the water, and combined with the extra-heavy ultrasonic misting I think it killed the bacterial contamination.:amazed: The smell was completely gone and did not come back, plus the first flush from all the bins was unusually large. I did my usual dunking (flood 'em till they float, soak 6 hrs, drain) between all the subsequent flushes. I got 6 flushes off those bins, including the one that smelled funky at first.

On the next grow I tried "ultrasonic dunking" again but instead let the humidifier run for 2 hours, rest for one, then run for two again over a 12 hour span so I'd get about 8 hours of misting. It did seem to produce larger fruits for the first flush, but I think my timing was off since pinning took almost a week longer than normal. I might've done it too late and damaged the primordia or doing it in one long 8 hour session might be the way to go. The beauty of it is that these long heavy mistings didn't affect the surface structure of the casing at all; it was still just as coarse and fluffy as before.

I think ultrasonic dunking has potential but it might be a tricky balancing act that I apparently haven't quite figured out yet. I'm not confident enough in it at this point to suggest it as anything but experimental, but if someone has a sub they think is contaminated then a heavy ultrasonic/peroxide dunk is probably worth a try. It seems to be a decent grow rescue method...
  • sgpa likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!