Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:51 PM
The pins and mushrooms in the sad bin really did look kind of depressed... lol
Great thread btw! I'm always messing with things too, almost never doing it the same way twice. One of my more intriguing 'experiments' was really a complete screwup that left me with some interesting results.
I'd just rigged up an ultrasonic to some pipes that fed a few bins, tested it out, and it fully saturated the clear bins with fog in about 2 minutes. Cool.
Next I grabbed some cased trays that were ready for the FC (the casing layer was about halfway colonized) and I noticed one had the dreaded sour apple smell. Not cool. It was very slight, so I decided to see if I could squeeze a flush from it anyway and put it in a bin. I plugged in the ultrasonic and it started fogging up the bins while I set up a timer to run for 5 minutes every hour. It was almost midnight by then so I went to bed.
When I got up and checked on the bins I noticed I'd left the humidifier plugged directly in to the extension cord (I forgot to plug it into the timer) so it'd been running constantly for 7 hours. It looked like about 3 quarts of water had been used from the humidifier reservoir. I'd added a bunch of peroxide to the water, and combined with the extra-heavy ultrasonic misting I think it killed the bacterial contamination.:amazed: The smell was completely gone and did not come back, plus the first flush from all the bins was unusually large. I did my usual dunking (flood 'em till they float, soak 6 hrs, drain) between all the subsequent flushes. I got 6 flushes off those bins, including the one that smelled funky at first.
On the next grow I tried "ultrasonic dunking" again but instead let the humidifier run for 2 hours, rest for one, then run for two again over a 12 hour span so I'd get about 8 hours of misting. It did seem to produce larger fruits for the first flush, but I think my timing was off since pinning took almost a week longer than normal. I might've done it too late and damaged the primordia or doing it in one long 8 hour session might be the way to go. The beauty of it is that these long heavy mistings didn't affect the surface structure of the casing at all; it was still just as coarse and fluffy as before.
I think ultrasonic dunking has potential but it might be a tricky balancing act that I apparently haven't quite figured out yet. I'm not confident enough in it at this point to suggest it as anything but experimental, but if someone has a sub they think is contaminated then a heavy ultrasonic/peroxide dunk is probably worth a try. It seems to be a decent grow rescue method...