• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:20 PM

Why not try to cook the rice as suggested and then rinse and drain well. Then after a the grain has drained, load into jars and pc for 60 minutes @ 15psi for sterilization? I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar the results would be great!

#22 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:50 PM

I tried Duke's method and my water content didn't do right. Then I tried cooking the rice in my rice cooker and when cool scooped all rice into a bowl after first measuring how many pints of rice I had total. Then I added a tablespoon of coir,and 1 teaspoon of flax seed per each 1/2 pint and mixed well. Pc'ed for 60 mins. Innoculated on 5/26 with a live myc syringe of PF Classic. The pics tell the rest. Will keep ya updated.

Attached Thumbnails

• P5310011.JPG
  • P5310008.JPG

#23 kam

kam

Mycomath & fungal physics

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

Cool, bipolar. How will you fruit them? I was originally intending to fruit mine invitro... I think I'll make a jar using the pre-cook method sometime soon.

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:33 PM

nice, bipolar.

9er the guy who pioneered the first whole rice tek i ever saw,
recommended cooking the rice as follows-

Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package except for reducing the water to 1 1/2 cup water to 1 cup grain and leaving out the margarine/salt. Try a bite to see if it's fully cooked and tender. Then fluff and stir the grain, and spoon it into jars until full. Tap the jars to work the grain down. Don't over compact the jars. If it makes a mush in the bottom with hardly any air spaces, you should empty it out and re-fluff with a fork

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

btw
nice stealth setup there,
kam.

archive material

#26 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

Why not try to cook the rice as suggested and then rinse and drain well. Then after a the grain has drained, load into jars and pc for 60 minutes @ 15psi for sterilization? I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar the results would be great!

I think it works better this way, you just can't cook it until its too dry, otherwise it won't colo as well. IME whole rice cakes don't hold enough moisture by themselves to fruit invitro or even in a terrarium,

#27 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

I was planning on invitro for these babys. I agree with hip, that's a nice stealth setup ya got there.

#28 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

Hey Kam. What's the 411 on the dandelion beer? Is it made from the weed? Nice stealthy setup you've got there!

#29 kam

kam

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for all the praise for my little drawer, everybody....:D

I've removed the verm layer in my jar to give the pins fresh air and room. They are quickly developing into mushrooms, and I'm very excited.

Dandelion beer can be made like any other herb beer: You boil the assorted herbs then add sugar and ferment the mixture. Mine ended up not fermenting, I think because the brewer's yeast I used must have been deactivated. I'll be adding different yeast to it soon. This site turned me on to it: Nettle, Dandelion and Burdock Beer.

The harvest of the 'shrooms should be in a few days, so until then,
Namaste

#30 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:03 PM

Kam if you are getting wet results try a few jars with slighlty less water in increments till you nail it that is what I did. I wanted to push the water to the maximum with my tech maybe with the variations of rice this needs to be tweaked accordingly.

I have some PR going this method now and when I get some time I will post some pics for comparison.

Peace...

Peace...

#31 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

So Duke, what kind of rice are you using?

#32 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:31 AM

I think its Lunberg Farms organic long grain brown rice, they had it on sale a few weeks ago at Krogers and it turned out to about $1 for a 2 lb bag.

Peace...

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 147.jpg

#33 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:46 PM

Looking good there Duke!

#34 dukex

dukex

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:43 AM

Thx

Well now that I went shopping I see that I am using the Kroger brand brown rice it was on sale for $10 for 10 - 2 lb bags.

Peace...

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

what kind of lid set up is that, dukex ?

#36 kam

kam

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:45 PM

All right, everyone, time for an update. Things have not gone well invitro. All of the pins aborted, some bluing or becoming black. I harvested them all today, since growth seemed stopped, and I didn't want to risk contamination. The cake seemed healthy, maybe dried out although it has been quite humid here. I dunked the cake and it is in the fridge now.

Can somebody help me determine why all my attempts at fruiting invitro have failed? What have I done to keep my mushrooms from developing into full fruits (my biggest one was <1 g wet)? I hope with the dunk I'll be able to get my first real invitro flush.

Growth seems to be stopped again in the full rice jars. I am going to throw them out and try a different preparation.

:(

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!