• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

Yeah sometimes it can be a bitch to aspirate a healthy culture. I also don't use the needle when aspirating fat, thick growths either. This hose is great for this type of aspiration. 10 mill syringes fit right in. I've found it's just cleaner and easier to use this rig, rather than risking bacterial contamination from your skin from removing the lid in a gloove box. I used poly fill for quite sometime and would just pc a new filtered lid wrapped in foil everytime I had to remove the lid. If you build these, it just easier and cleaner for LC's rather than removing the lids, possibly exposing your cultures to contamination from your skin. I was just trying to help, but it appears i'm not. So could a moderator just delete the thread. Thanx in advance.

Lazlo

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

pretty ingenious,
even if just a bit on the rube goldberg side.
;)
archive material

i imagine one would need vanilla without the corn syrup to really know the deal here.

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

Thanx! The idea came from Rodger's coffee teks. I figured that maybe it's use in a liquid cultures could provide faster colonization times for knock ups. It just so happens that the extract contains corn syrup to provide some sorta nutrition for the mycelium to feed on. So far it's loving it. Coffee and Vanilla beans are quite the same. And for all the people that think Tryptophan (an amino acid) could provide more potency to mushrooms, Vanilla is loaded with it. We shall see. Should I give it a whirl with a cake today?

#24 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

"And for all the people that think Tryptophan (an amino acid) could provide more potency to mushrooms"

One of those people happens to be Mr. Paul Stamets.
RR

#25 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

And for all the people that think Tryptophan (an amino acid) could provide more potency to mushrooms, Vanilla is loaded with it. We shall see. Should I give it a whirl with a cake today?

Unfortunately vanilla extract has no tryptophan in it

http://www.nutrition...01-02s0063.html

#26 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

Unfortunately vanilla extract has no tryptophan in it

http://www.nutrition...01-02s0063.html

You are 100% correct Shobi. Thanx for clearin that up. The culture with the high Tryptophan content is awaiting germination. I'll post it in a week or so if it works out ok. ;)

#27 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

Ok here's an update. The first 2 are from 3 days ago and the last 2 are from this morning. Quite a jump in growth IMO. Still lots of waiting yet though. I hate waiting! :D

Attached Thumbnails

• day11.jpg
  • day11-1.jpg
  • ve4.jpg
  • ve3.jpg

#28 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:02 PM

cool man. very cool.

#29 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

Very interesting. Let us know if this tek does work with just straight vanillia.

#30 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

very cool.

#31 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

Thanx guys. I hope you enjoy the thread and lid tek. Too early to tell how the Vanilla is going to pan out. I'm going to try it out today, so i'll post results soon. I'm trying to get another culture going, the one I got mixed up that contains Tryptophan? Anyways to my disgust, the syringe isn't viable I used to innoculate it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. That syringe cost me some coir and shipping. Oh well! So it's back to square 1 with that one.

#32 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:13 PM

Update: The vanilla culture is still growing vigorously. Mycelium is stuck to the inside of the jar. See in the pic? Just knocked up some jars and growth is looking good. I'll post the jars in a couple of days.

Attached Thumbnails

• veupdate.jpg
  • veupdate1.jpg

#33 Ra_shroom

Ra_shroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

Got an idea for people who's polyfil gets wet= Hold your vacuum cleaner hose near enough to the polyfil, without touching it, to suck the wetness out of the polyfil. Then just add a drop, or two, of isopropl alcohol to the polyfil. It should spread out completely to all affected areas, and evaporate in several minutes leaving it sterile again.

Seems it would work okay.

#34 Ra_shroom

Ra_shroom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:31 AM

Hey Laz, got a dumb question: I tried the Karo method and have some corn jars that look great. But my Karo jar took a long time, with Equador spore. Want to try your new tek! How much should I let the mycelium develop in the jar before I go about inoculating my popcorn, or other substrate?

A week after my Karo inoc with popcorn, I have pint jars almost pure white. But the myc in the Karo jar is tiny and I have to shake the shit out of the jar to spread it around (no big masses). I think you have something here. Even if the myc slows down after some point, wouldn't it work out great to inoc some substrate with that exploding myc, and let the new substrate support the myc, as far as nutrition goes?

#35 mike illogical

mike illogical

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:48 AM

Nice work Lazlo, I showed the guys in the lab this and we're all quite ecstatic. We'll be trying some experiments along this route for sure.

#36 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:50 AM

For liquid culture jars I have found these vents to be cheap easy to use and very effective. http://www.tissuequi...faqptfeinfo.htm. Nice people sell them also. Cilly

nice link
but crimmey.
65 pounds sterling for 100 sticky filter disks ?
ouch
:(

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

ever tried malt extract in liquid cultures, lazlo ?
i think you'd find it excellent.
and yes,
this is nice work since
even though it's still dextrose [karo]
the option of using vanillla extract
albeit expensive
still might help someone somewhere
git 'er done.

#38 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, there were some guys over seas I was chatting with and they said they couldn't get karo. I couldn't believe it. I figured karo would be available damn near everywhere. It just so happened I had tried the vanilla and it was working, just in time to show them. They were happy. Plus, I think about every house hold has it available in their kitchen. I've never tried malt before. I've seen awesome results with that stuff as well. That stuff's available at the home brewers stores right? I've been wanting to try it, but I don't know where to purchase it. Any tips?

RA-Shroom. This culture was ready in 8 days. After germination it took off like a rocket. I was really surprised. I sorta forgot about it and when I went to use my gloove box, (that's where I store LC's), it was really thick and even was stuck to the glass. LOL! I was like WTH! In the first pic, can you see the star shaped mass of tissue at 10 o'clock stuck to the jar? It looked like a big star fish attached to a corral reef, sorta flowing. It was bad ass man. It was attached in 4-5 areas. Really neat looking. I'm trying to figure out how it got there! It would be neat if the mycelium sorta was crawling up the jar or something strange huh?

If you're gunna use pollyfill filters, i'd suggest using 1qt jars for starters and only fill them about a 1/3 of the way up with H20. This gives you some leed way for swirling the culture without getting the filter wet before use. I use them too. They work fine if you're careful. I always pc a new filtered lid wrapped in foil before I go to use my culture. With pollyfill filtered lids. Then i'd replace the lid in case the filter did indeed get wet from the swirling.

Thanks Mike and guys for the props. I'm pretty stoked too. Actually! This culture is 2 tablespoons per 500 mills of H20. It's working just as good as the 3 tablespoon one. So why not lighten up the color a bit. LOL! It's not as dark as your think. It's sorta looks like karo if it gets carmalized or from using a rusty lid for your cultures.

#39 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:56 AM

Very nice write up Lazlo.....Wondering now how well clone tissue would do in it?

I like your pix too!!!!! :)

#40 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

Very nice write up Lazlo.....Wondering now how well clone tissue would do in it?

I like your pix too!!!!! :)

I think it would do great. If multispore is doing this well, tissue should as well. Thanks buddy! :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!