http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=5177

#42 surfanarchist

surfanarchist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

Hey all,

I want to try a head to head comparison while trying my first LC. 1 pint using straight pue vanilla extract (McCormack) and 1 pint using Karo. Now I've never done LC before but I plan to use Hip's airport tech, pc and then inoculate with some PE multi spore I have laying around. What I'm wondering is how much Karo to use for 500 ml H2o and how much vanilla extract to use for 500ml H20. I've read 4% is standard. Is that what most of you all use? Will it make a differance that vanilla extract is 35% alcohol and should I adjust for the loss in volume I'll get when I pc and the alcohol burns off?

#43 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:19 PM

I find less is better for me, as a good friend taught me.

I like to use 1 teaspoon vanilla for 500 ml. h2o. And

I like 2 teaspoons karo for 500 ml. h2o.

It took me a lot of testing to find a good range for me. I also use my tap water (I have a well) and I think that is why I had to find different amounts of the sugars to add.
So, others will probably tell you better what ratios are good. I was just letting you know what I use. Doesn't mean anything really :)

Also, the alcohol will get taken out with the heat process.

And, I don't use 15 psi for lc's anymore. I find 10 psi is good enough, anyone else use lower psi for lc's?

#44 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

Hmmmm. I thought your vanilla cultures looked a bit light in color Freakachino. Do you notice any loss in speed with 1 teaspoon versus 2 tablespoons? Because oddly, I didn't notice a difference in 1 tablespoons worth for 500mills of water. I wrote the tek for 2 or 3 tablespoons worth. Maybe a change is needed in the archives to considerably save on the extract.

Do you have a pic and a time frame of the culture in days from inoculation?

This is starting to intrigue me because of the lack of sugar, corn syrup, exc.
But, it's somewhat rich in K.

#45 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:23 PM

Yep. I did that Laz. Sorry, I been meanin' to tell ya for a while now....so busy!

I've been going with 1 teaspoon per 300 ml with great results! Thanks again for the VLC man....it's the shizzle!!!:bow:

#46 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:48 PM

How many days does it take till you can use the culture after inoculation?

#47 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

...I've been going with 1 teaspoon per 300 ml with great results! Thanks again for the VLC man....it's the shizzle!!!:bow:

I tried honey then vanilla. Honey was too cloudy with sediment so I stuck with the vanilla ever since. I've recently tried mixing in 1.5 tblsp. vanilla with 1.5 tbsp. karo to 500 ml. water and after 2 weeks there really wasn't any added benefeit to adding the karo ime. Thanks alot for the TEK Lazlo and for the update on using less vanilla!

#48 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

No problem!

I wish I would've known this earlier.

#49 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

How many days does it take till you can use the culture after inoculation?

Fast as hell! I wanna say 10-14 days average. 21 days is proly a more realistic figure tho. Depends a bit on strain and isolate. Some really like it but a rare few don't seem too excited. The PF Redspore seems to be one of the slower ones. The less spores shot into it the better, at least to a certain point. Too many seems to always slow it down regardless of strain.

I was questioning shelf life....but I pulled out some 3 month old cultures that are still alive and kicking at room temps. Damn and I need those jars too lol.

#50 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hmm. The original recipe is ready on average of 3-6 days depending on inoculation. That's a bit quicker.

#51 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, Lazlo, I love the vanilla.

I think its great, and I get good jars ready for use in about 2 weeks.

I really like it for agar lc's and for clone tissue lc's.

#52 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hmm. The original recipe is ready on average of 3-6 days depending on inoculation. That's a bit quicker.

Yeah I had some of the same results but had some trouble with consistent performance. I've always believed in keeping them a bit lean on everything and then work my way up to perfect performance. Almost like a show dog breeder.

Well, maybe not always...hehehe it took me a while to figure that one out!

#53 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

Cool! It's good to know the "not in a rush" cultivator can get by with this formula and have great success. Thanks for testing that out. Good to know.

#54 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

heheh I'm definitely not a in the rush culter :D

I love the vanilla lc tek!!!! I like that at more dilute levels, its almost as clear as karo.

#55 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

Cool! It's good to know the "not in a rush" cultivator can get by with this formula and have great success. Thanks for testing that out. Good to know.

Oh no....thank you for bringing us something to test. This is the best thing I've seen in years! So damn easy too. Plus the 300ml fits a pint jar nicely!

#56 surfanarchist

surfanarchist

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm looking forward to giving this vanilla LC thing a whirl.

#57 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

sugars are not the point,
they are just a bare minimum.
more complex nutes like potato water or malt extract
maybe vanilla too
do very well without added sugars.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!