Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

3rd Transfer Texan, Which Looks Best to You?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

3 Different petri's which one do guys or girls like best for transfer to grains?

Attached Thumbnails

• Mvc-059s.jpg
  • Mvc-057s.jpg
  • Mvc-058s.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

i pick the middle one
looks ropier to me

#3 rockawayrooms

rockawayrooms

Hash Pipe Harry

• Expired Member
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:01 PM

I'd have to agree with hip ,door #2

#4 steam

steam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

are each of those petris finally one substrain or are there still different substrains in each dish?

#5 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

I see at least a hundred substrains on each dish. One and three have more substrains than two does, that is why two looks more rhizo. I would suggest using far less spores next time so you can isolate easier. The only real way to tell would be to continue isolating until you have zero sectors. Unfortunately, that would require several hundred petri dishes, then each would have to be grown out. A few of those substrains would definitely kick serious butt. Try picking a few of the sectors and isolate until you have a single sector on a dish. Fruit each single sector isolate to determine the best one, since there is no way you can fruit them all.
RR

#6 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

Hmmm, maybe I am using too many spores. When I started I used an innoculation loop across a print and made a z imprint as per Stamets. How do I do it to where I use less spores? How do you guys do it? Thanks for any info.

#7 steam

steam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:06 PM

several hundred! i guess my eye isnt trained to see the difference. does someone have photoshop that can mark off diff sectors so i can learn how to differenciate. thx

#8 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

They all look pretty uniform to me.

How would one select the best sector to isolate?

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

I see at least a hundred substrains on each dish. One and three have more substrains than two does, that is why two looks more rhizo. I would suggest using far less spores next time so you can isolate easier. The only real way to tell would be to continue isolating until you have zero sectors. Unfortunately, that would require several hundred petri dishes, then each would have to be grown out. A few of those substrains would definitely kick serious butt. Try picking a few of the sectors and isolate until you have a single sector on a dish. Fruit each single sector isolate to determine the best one, since there is no way you can fruit them all.
RR

perhaps you would define what you mean by
sector
and explain how to identify differences, visual clues
so folks can better understand
why you see hundreds
when they see uniformity ?

#10 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

I thought they looked pretty uniform myself.

#11 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:23 PM

The middle dish makes it easiest to see. It would be even easier to see if you held it up to the light, and looked from the agar side. Each of those sections or 'sectors' is an individual substrain caused by two to four spores pairing up. When you make transfers, try to get only material from the center of each sector. Each time you do it , there will be less and less sectoring on the dish as the strains that are overlapping each other in each sector get freed up to grow. below is a dish after several transfers as described above. The sectors are now larger and easier to differentiate. Each one should be transferred to a new dish as shown in the second picture, then when the dish is fully grown out, transferred to rye to be grown out and fruited. The best fruiting strains are kept and the rest discarded. That is how you get those monster flushes every single time.

I use an inoculating loop and barely touch it to the sporeprint. When stamets decribed strain isolation in GGMC, he put an inoculating loop worth of spores into a test tube and shook it up. He then dipped the loop back into the water and streaked the spores onto agar. This is much more diluted than a spore syringe and only gives you a few dozen substrains instead of hundreds, making your isolation work much easier. When it comes to spores, less is more.
RR

Attached Thumbnails

• Petri Dish, strain isolation 003a.jpg
  • Petri Dish, strain isolation 007a.jpg

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

Ahhhhh! Now I see what your talking about! The dishes look like a dart board for instance. Just like a dart board if you can picture it. The seperate scoring areas of a dart board would be the sectors of a petri dish. In a wierd, but pretty much true comparison right?

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:45 AM

and of course one can bypass alll that with a clone

archive material

#14 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

Yea, a lot like a dart board. There will always be a 'zone of inhibition' between substrains where nothing grows.
RR

#15 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

So then the substrain zones are the rings going from the center towards the ouside. So the pic I just posted has less substrains than the pics from above?

Attached Thumbnails

• Mvc-060s.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!