• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

Wonder if you could boil then peel, then make pear sauce? Like apple sauce, only yummier?

Mmm... fresh bread with pear sauce, and a glass of pear wine.

sure, pear sauce is do-able.
canning also is an option.

#102 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

awesome write up! thanks!

#103 cuts

cuts

The Pope of Dope

• Expired Member
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Yea Dr T its nice to have this info in case anyone decides to make some shine into their lives! :eusa_clap

#104 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

It's so easy and fun, I'm still doing it. Running the still is a great way to spend a few hours on a day off, and then having a big flask of shine sitting there just makes me smile!

#105 Shrooms&I

Shrooms&I

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:59 AM

Keep us informed pleased:bow: I am in the progress of assembling my own still my self (using lead free solder). I have photos in which I will post on my own thread concerning the subject. As for the labware, impressive... keep up the good work. Did you have success yet in regards to any ethyl-alchohol? I heard some where I think on "home distillers.org" google home-distillers. That it's always a good idea to discard the first batch (not sure how much that is per kilogram or litre) but because of trace amounts of methyl-alchohol the kind you want to avoid the same rule of thumb also applies to the last batch, depending on the type of mash used I guess (my own hunch). Its usually the first batch is the best to avoid the batches inbetween are "safe" in regards for moonshine. Perhaps a seperate thread on this site for moonshine experiments? over all I do think this is archive material my self. But Great photographs and right up never the less. Best of luck.
  • Hippie3 likes this

#106 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

Starting from corn and sugar, you really can't get methanol, it's not one of teh byproducts.

Glad you like the glassware- I got a few new pieces, it works better now. I'll post some pics one of these days.

#107 STLawesome

STLawesome

Residing in a dark hollow

• Expired Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Regarding Shrooms&I post :

I think you are talking about the foreshots. This is the first 5-100ml that come out of your still. This is where the highest concentration of methanol/fussel oils are compared to the whole distillation process. Most people throw this part out or use it as a cleaning solvent. It won't hurt you cause there's not that much bad stuff in it but disposing of this part does help with not getting hangovers and it greatly improves the taste.

#108 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hey Dr. T, what did you add/swap out in your still configuration?
  • Hippie3 likes this

#109 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hey- this thread is still live!

I got some different glassware. Now, I have a plastic tube that comes off the top of the PC, and fits onto an adapter. So that's on one branch of a Y-adapter (Claisen adaptor), with the condenser on top of the other branch. Steam comes up and over, condenses in the Y or on the way, then the leftover goes *up* into the condenser, hits the chilled part, drips back down. Highly efficient- I'll take some pics next time I cook a batch.

#110 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hey Dr.T!

Awesome thread man!!

i personally cannot stand alcohol,
but this thread freekin rocks! lol

youve got me wanting to make the stuff and i would never even drink it. :lol:

and eyah, that glassware you have is awesome man!!

Ive always wanted my own labglassware, even tho i wouldnt know how to use 3/4 of it. lol

Verry niice bro.

and that salvia extraction was sweet to!!

I really gotta try that cannabis extraction you were talking about..
hope you post up that lil experimentp/rocedure onea these days!!
:bow:
thanks dood, you rock.

#111 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

I'd have to actually *have* some weed first... but if I ever get enough, I'll post a nice hash oil extraction.

As far as buying and using the glass- I've wanted to since I was a kid. Now I can- and the Internet makes it easy. Most of my stuff came from eBay. But save up and buy a kit, don't get one piece at a time like I did.

Latest piece is a Friedrich condenser- pics in a day or two.

Edit- made some 'kahlua' last night for a friend. About a third of a half-pint jar of 'shine, fill it with strong espresso, stir in a spoonful each of white and brown sugar, then a drop of vanilla extract. I put the lid on while it was still hot, it popped cooling down, which I thought was a classy touch.

No feedback on it yet, but I'll let y'all know when I hear back.

#112 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

sounds good! mudslides from hell,lol.
  • Hippie3 likes this

#113 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

Nice big shot of the condenser setup

Attached Thumbnails

• condenser2.JPG

#114 Phx

Phx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

Dude thats just freakin awsome!!! Very nice Dr T.:cool::greenboun:eusa_clap:bow:

#115 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

So, I tried it with the big PC as the still pot- works great. I put two gallons of mash into the 23-quart Presto, results were perfect. You could do 3 or 3 1/2 gallons in there easy.

Tubing comes off the pressure-release fitting, no modifications to the PC. Copper coil acts as a pre-cooler.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1227974782

Steam from the pot comes over and starts to condense inside the glassware before it even gets to the cooled part.

Another shot of the connectors. Having the right pieces made it so EASY!

Attached Thumbnails

• Nov08_03.JPG
  • Nov08_02.JPG
  • Nov08_01.JPG

• Hippie3 likes this

#116 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

awesome!
:cool:

#117 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

while I sip my moonshine and Sunny D.

Yum, did you name that drink yet?

Dr T's White Lighting Screwdriver ?

#118 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

:bow:

It's all about having the right tools, IMO.
In the last pic, the connector on the righthand branch of the Y lifts out. You can catch some steam on a metal spoon, so you can taste when you're done. After about a half hour of running, taste it every 5 or ten minutes.

I have mixed feelings about the cooper- I have a green tint in my distillate, I'll have to re-distill. Which is fine for White Lightning, but won't work for single-pass liquors like vodka or rum. But it helps a lot with condensing that much steam. We'll see- I'll try it without on the next run.

#119 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

Yum, did you name that drink yet?

Dr T's White Lighting Screwdriver ?

A "Lightning Screw"?

#120 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

A "Lightning Screw"?

Isn't that called a quickie :lol: at least thats what my wife just called it.

I have an old still my wife's grandfather passed on to me before he passed on. Got copper as a condenser line and have never gotten a green tint in any shine I've made. I usually make a wine out of the concord grapes that grow in my yard, then still it off. Makes a good mellow shine.

By the way nice glassware set up you have there T. :thumbup:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!