Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Lazlo's Poo/Coir/Coffee cased bulk substrate spawned by grains tek.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

Thanx guys. I hope it helps. Thanx for the Chives too Hip!

OK. Here's some tips on the the tub growing techique that will save you a lot of hassels and failures. These apply to any substrates or teks you might be using for tubs.

1. If you apply some duct tape to the bottom of the tub to the top of the substrate line, this will help any mushrooms that grow from the sides of the substrate grow up to seek light. If you don't do this, some of the fruits will grow down or invitro along the side of the tub. This makes it easy to harvest the mushrooms that grow in this fassion. These fruits are the first to pop up, so you'll want to be able to harvest them so the casing layer can fruit and you will not have fruits stuck on the sides of your substrate, possibly rotting and causing bacterial problems on your substrate.

If you do like WaylitJim does and apply a nice and neat line of tape around the tub so you can neatly spray paint from the tape line down with black paint. Rough up the outside of the plastic bin with 220 grit sand paper first so the paint sticks well. Paint it dark. This will prevent most pinning from the the sides of the substrate. I don't mind side pinning myself. But that's me. Some might want to take Jims route, which is great also. It's up to you what you want. You might want to see what type of paint he uses for durability. But if you paint the tub, leave a spot clear on the bottom of the tub so you can check for moisture content. That's described below.

Attached Thumbnails

• tip6.jpg

#22 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:05 PM

Now in the pic above, do you see the heavy moisture on the sides of the tub in the inside? That's too heavy of a moisture content. Stop all misting after fanning. You want to try to maintain a light dew like moisture on the sides and on the lid. This type of heavy moisture will get down in the bottom of your tub from the sides, possibly causing standing water in the bottom of your tub that could cause contaminates on the bottom of your substrate. You can look at the bottom of the tub to find out the deal. This is where the coir mixture really helps out for grains. If it gets heavy like this, simply take a brand new sponge (just to be used for this purpose) and go around the sides of the tub about an inch above the casing layer. Don't touch the casing layer. You want to try to maintain an even balance of moisture throughout the process until harvest. The amount of this moisture on the inside of the tub depends on several factors and conditions of your grow area. You'll have to get a knack for it through time and experience. It's not as hard to do as it might sound to some. Here's a pick of the lid with heavy moisture on it. These types of droplets will fall from the lid really messing up the casings layer ability to fruit. If you see these, simply use your sponge again and soak them up. If there's heavy moisture showing on the sides of the tub, don't mist the bottom of the lid with a dew like misting. If the sides look like they're at the proper dew like look for moisture, then apply a light mist to the lid bottom after soaking up the droplets. It's all about moisture ballance. If you see dry spots on the sides or lid of the tub, lightly mist the dry spots. See what I mean? Keeping the moisture properly ballanced in the tub will make for a smooth fruiting from the casing layer. Don't be affraid to use the colored typing paper tip I gave ya either. If the casing layer is dry, mist it with a couple of shots. Then check the moisture in a few hours to see if it's right. If not, mist it again. But don't over do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• tips1.jpg

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

I suppose this should've been first on the tips list! LOL! :rolleyes: Here's how much lime to add to the casing layer after you've built the tub. Just lightly dust it. This is a bit much, but I ran out of mateial to do it with. LOL! It'll be ok by the time rhizos break through to the top of the casing layer. Then give the tub 2 light bleach mists. This will help to hydrate the lime into the top of the casing layer. Then put the lid on like I mentioned and let it be.

Now about the heavy moisture and cleaning off the fruits well after harvest. See the pic of the trichoderma eating the hell out of the substrate? This is the one that I forgot about for 2 weeks and see the mold eating the mushroom tissue. I was damn fortunate to score 412 grams from it before all hell broke loose. LOL! This is a fine example of how trich just loves mushroom tissue and heavy moisture. You've gotta keep the moisture and fanning right in bulk tubs for healthy growth. Bacteria and molds just love a saturated substrate and a bulk growing tub with standing water in the bottom of it. That's why I suggest flipping the tub for getting all the tissue that's all over the substrate after harvest. So the substrate can be cleaned on the lid making the substrate very accessable. You can get all of the tissue off very easy like this, keeping a healthy substrate for further flushes. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• tips5.jpg
  • tips4.jpg

#24 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:01 PM

Alright, got my casing done nicely. Instead of using a salt shaker to spread lime, I got a piece of tinfoil, made a scoop out of it and poked 16 little holes in the bottom. Shook this over the casing, and evenly distributed some lime. It looks pretty good, I will post some pictures tomorrow. Also, Lazlo, your private message folder is broke lol, its full.

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:27 PM

Oh! It's unclogged!

#26 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

Arlight, here are my pics. All the stuff on the sides has since been wiped away.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00383s.jpg
  • DSC00382s.jpg

#27 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hey Lazlo,
Congratulations on the "Chives"!

Peace,