25 replies to this topic

#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

my new crib is infested bad with wasps, mostly mud-daubers
but i saw at least 3 species, black and blue wasps plus yellow-jackets.
they've build hives all around the house on the roof facia and eaves,
getting inside too.
everywhere.
anyone got any good tips on how best to go about removing these pests ?
:horse:

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

Get em at night when they are sleepy. You can smoke them out first if you want and then cut the hive into a bag with a long knife and deal with them before morning by say drowning them.

Works good , better than in the daytime ... :pirate:

I also read windex is good to spray on and they will vacate the premises. Those foams work but they are pretty chemy overkill.

Also you can make your own traps for wasps that you don't know where their nest is.

http://www.wikihow.c...ake-a-Wasp-Trap

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

bagging the hives once pulled off
sounds like a great idea.
how to generate smoke ?
we talking wood smoke or wtf ?

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

just newspaper rolled up tightly , lit , then waved out works good to smolder.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

wonder if one of my steamers might work ?

#6 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

. ( if you can protect yourself).. is just build a smoky lil fire somehow below the nest ( or some method of thick smoke entering the nest) and smoke them out, once they leave jus take the nest out and away.

hmmm... ill see pops tomorrow, ill ask him of more/better ways. lol

g'luck Hip, K+

edit: oops sorry, you guys are to quick for me. lol

and any kind of thick, foul smoke will do.

then, if i remember right.. there is stuff you can get to keep them from building again in that area

i think a steamer might work to man.

#7 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

seems like R&R would be more appropriate for this? lol

as for dealing with the wasps, as long as you're quick with getting the bulk of the nest into a bag b4 alerting them you're good to go. dispersing them with smoke is just letting them know you're on your way and intend to do them harm.

A ladder, a good wide spatula, and some heavy trashbags are all you need. I recently removed a large nest of yellowjackets from a friend's house and that was basically it. Though it was nice to have an extra pair of hands to hold the bag up while I scraped the nest free. Gotta be quick though.

#8 jmtx

jmtx

horticulturist

• Expired Member
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

engine degreaser works amazing, it shoots like 8 feet and makes any flying insects fall!!!

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

engine degreaser works amazing, it shoots like 8 feet and makes any flying insects fall!!!

does it kill or just knock down ?
i grabbed some aerosols today at farm supply
claim a 20 foot spray
guy said it was pretty good.
got some other concentrate too for a sprayer
but catching them asleep in hives sounds safer.

#10 jmtx

jmtx

horticulturist

• Expired Member
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

it drops em in seconds, and kills em in like 2-3 mins it just goes in there lil mouths and kills em, 20ft should be sufficient though. go murder Some Insects!!!!

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

i just hope there ain't a mega-hive inside the roof with a million+ wasps...

#12 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

Sorry to hear about the infestation Hip! A PITA for sure.

Reading this brought back the memory of this:

Posted Image

From this thread: http://mycotopia.net...t-now-pics.html

Maybe some pointers in that thread, but prolly not the safest route.

Smoke sounds like a good idea, we could all come over and break out the hookah :hookah: ;)

#13 Envee

Envee

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:42 PM

ME and my gf jut moved into a place and we are having a hornet problem. They are in the walls. You can hear them buzzing sometimes. They have already stung a few of my friends. We are probably going to get an exterminator because we don't have the necessary skills to get them out of the walls. Good luck with your infestation. Maybe as a safety precaution you could get a bee keeper suit and then, after you are done with it, sell it on ebay.

#14 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

i am not sure if this wil help but for smoke and bees, use bailing twine. the stuff smolders continous for hours. you probably dont have puffers(mini billows) but you could rig something with coffee cans.

#15 lionelfire

lionelfire

Keeping on

• Expired Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:21 AM

You can make natural traps by building poor man's terrariums from 2 liters. Only invert the top to where the neck is pointing down. Fill the resevoir with water and a little dish soap and line the neck with something sweet(honey, jam etc). the wasps will fly in, drop in the water and drown. You'll have to change the water regularly, but it will keep'em in check til they go dormant, at which time you can remove the nests.
Oh and congrats on your new digs! Hope those ponds are full of fish!

#16 myceliummatt

myceliummatt

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:58 AM

Hey Hip,

Soap and water sprayed on bee's and hornets will kill them. Prevents them from being able to breath. Should do the trick without any nasty chemicals.
Good luck!

M.

#17 wickedest

wickedest

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:05 AM

Hey they sell stuff like wasp spray & such or plain raid roach spray works great to kill'em the mud dubbers you can use a broom to knock down at night as they dont really hold adults just larva & young adults that dont fly yet & larva food

I agree attack at night & if possible attack on a chilly night as they have a hard time flying cold & arent as on guard or as active

I cut down trees & trim palms & we see them all the time I swell up from them Raid or something good to kill them & do it at night & not right after dark try at like 2 am

#18 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

I wish I was closer hipp, I have a couple boxes of some hornet/wasp spray at me dads store. It's great stuff, we sell a decent amount of it this time of year.

I like to walk around during the day to see where the nest are and then spray them that night when most of them return home to sleep.

mostly mud-daubers

After you kill them all, get a pressure washer to knock the mud tubes off. I have had to do that many of times in the porch

#19 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

hip we carry these foggers at lowes grant they are $50 or $60 just really depends on how much you have hornet and wasp wise. works great for fogging the yard too.

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,401 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

For enclosed spaces, a pile of smoldering pine needles drive insects away, and smoke from burning pitch kills them. Setting a large red-hot coal from a fire onto pine needles gets them smoldering, and the bailing twine suggested earlier might help keep it going longer.

It's not the best idea to have a small pot of burning pine pitch in a wood structure, but it can be done with extensive precautions and it will fumigate without chemicals (that leave a toxic residue behind, anyway). Smells better than pesticides, too. Might even be able to rig up something to burn it outside and blow the smoke into the space through dryer vent ducting or something.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!